Favorite 3” in house spyderco folder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What’s your favorite in-house locking folder in the 3” blade range?

Caly 3
4%
Calypso Jr.
1%
Native
24%
Delica
16%
Para 3
23%
Sage
11%
Lil temp
7%
Leaf jumper
8%
Mantra
5%
Domino
1%

Total votes: 92

GarageBoy

Re: Favorite 3” in house spyderco folder?

Post by GarageBoy »

UKPK/Calypso and relatives is up there for me, for reasons everyone has stated. I'll take a Calypso Jr with tip up clip update.

Delica is for it's availablility, slenderness, and thin blade stock.

Native 5 has a great filling handle, and huge choil. I find the blade a little thick, but I get it.

The Para 3 feels too close to the PM2 for me (I guess that's the point, but it's a bit of a chunky boi) The lightweight feels oddly balanced (blade heavy?) and slippery to me
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

Sage or the Chap. I know I’m an outlier, but I actually prefer the backlock to the compression lock, so the Chap has a leg up there. It’s also nearly unparalleled in terms of geometry IMO, with that thin stock and grind. And it’s just as good in the pocket. That said, the Sage is no slouch in the geometry department and it’s not exactly a pocket hog either, although the Delica and Native have it beat in that department. The Chap as well.
Ergonomics are where the Sage really shines. Pound for pound it might be the best knife in hand for me. More filling than the Chap or Delica, but less blocky than the Native. It also slices beautifully, its stock thickness and grind notwithstanding. Neither is bad by any means, especially for a production knife, but the Delica and the Chap are both markedly better in those areas. What I’d really love to see is a Golden produced folder with the thin grind of the Seki models.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:21 am
What I’d really love to see is a Golden produced folder with the thin grind of the Seki models.
You should try to get a UKPK in your hands. It is fantastic. Maybe one day we will get a locking version. Blade stock like a Delica but better ergos for me. Also, very strong detent similar to the Delica and it locks in place very well despite the non-locking design. Made in Golden!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Matus

Post by Matus »

It may sound weird, but I currently do not posses any of the knives in the poll, however I eventually will and it will be most likely be the Leaf Jumper in k390. I currently 'home carry' the Centodante 3 - which I really really like, but VG-10 is not quite up to more abrasive stuff. Now when I imagine that knife in k390 ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Sage or the Chap. I know I’m an outlier, but I actually prefer the backlock to the compression lock, so the Chap has a leg up there. It’s also nearly unparalleled in terms of geometry IMO, with that thin stock and grind. And it’s just as good in the pocket. That said, the Sage is no slouch in the geometry department and it’s not exactly a pocket hog either, although the Delica and Native have it beat in that department. The Chap as well.
Ergonomics are where the Sage really shines. Pound for pound it might be the best knife in hand for me. More filling than the Chap or Delica, but less blocky than the Native. It also slices beautifully, its stock thickness and grind notwithstanding. Neither is bad by any means, especially for a production knife, but the Delica and the Chap are both markedly better in those areas. What I’d really love to see is a Golden produced folder with the thin grind of the Seki models.
Totally agree, Backlock is best lock and Chap is best EDC in the lineup for my money
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp24/7 wrote:
Sage or the Chap. I know I’m an outlier, but I actually prefer the backlock to the compression lock, so the Chap has a leg up there. It’s also nearly unparalleled in terms of geometry IMO, with that thin stock and grind. And it’s just as good in the pocket. ....

I don´t think you´re an outlier - I get the impression that backlock and comp.lock are roughly about equally well liked around here (could be wrong of course).

Anyway, answering the question of the op, I´d 100% take a backlock - over a comp.lock folder too.

Now I would not have put the Leaf Jumper in the same size category as Delica, Native, Para 3, ... because I guess I personally rather go by EDGE length (not BLADE length) and/or handle size.
So to me the Leaf Jumper is competing with knives like Manix or Endela, but in blade length it actually is just a bit over 3" indeed (Delica, Native, Para 3... being a bit under 3").
So I´d probably take the Leaf Jumper among the choices above as a do it all EDC folder, due to its bigger handle and longer and so more versatile edge (like a Manix, as said).

Otherwise in my case it would be a match between Delica (Salt 2) and Chap.
Both, unlike the Native and especially the Para 3 don´t feature imo overly and unnecessarily fat blades (for a small folder), the Chap being even better with its 2mm stock

The Delica is also pretty light but very sturdily built for its size, or even superlight in its Salt variant.
It also has a roomy enough handle for my L to XL hands, while knives like Native and Para 3 are too short behind the choil.

The Chap has its extremely thin and nice carry going for it, as well as its super sturdy built and for me very stable, locked in ergos (when I use the choil, but that is what I´d have to do with Native and Para 3 too anyway).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:36 pm

Otherwise in my case it would be a match between Delica (Salt 2) and Chap.
Both, unlike the Native and especially the Para 3 don´t feature imo overly and unnecessarily fat blades (for a small folder), the Chap being even better with its 2mm stock

The Delica is also pretty light but very sturdily built for its size, or even superlight in its Salt variant.
It also has a roomy enough handle for my L to XL hands, while knives like Native and Para 3 are too short behind the choil.

The Chap has its extremely thin and nice carry going for it, as well as its super sturdy built and for me very stable, locked in ergos (when I use the choil, but that is what I´d have to do with Native and Para 3 too anyway).
We are totally on the same page. I got M4 Sage for my waife - what a sweet knife! But the handle is too short for my hand without the choil - and I also find it too thin.

I would LOVE Para3 LW - but the rounded butt of the handle makes the handle short in hand (custom scales that have butt similar to Chap would most likely fix it). And yeah, the thick blade apparently runs in the family. But I could fix that myself. Maybe I should finally get one in Spy27 and give it a re-grind to my liking.

Now - once I 'step down' to the Chap (which is pretty much exactly a downsized Sage) - I automatically use the choil - and it is great.

Both Chap and Sage have one 'downside' for me - the with-to-heght ratio of the handle around the choil area means I can not get a stable grip when putting my thumb on the spine/ramp. The knife just wants to rotate in my hand. Friend of mine is making me some carbon scales for the LW Chap that will be a bit thicker then the original ones. I cannot wait to try it out.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:52 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:36 pm
We are totally on the same page. I got M4 Sage for my waife - what a sweet knife! But the handle is too short for my hand without the choil - and I also find it too thin.

I would LOVE Para3 LW - but the rounded butt of the handle makes the handle short in hand
(custom scales that have butt similar to Chap would most likely fix it). And yeah, the thick blade apparently runs in the family. But I could fix that myself. Maybe I should finally get one in Spy27 and give it a re-grind to my liking.

Now - once I 'step down' to the Chap (which is pretty much exactly a downsized Sage) - I automatically use the choil - and it is great.

Both Chap and Sage have one 'downside' for me - the with-to-heght ratio of the handle around the choil area means I can not get a stable grip when putting my thumb on the spine/ramp. The knife just wants to rotate in my hand. Friend of mine is making me some carbon scales for the LW Chap that will be a bit thicker then the original ones. I cannot wait to try it out.

Para 3: Yes, that´s what I always say too: The Para 3 "problem" is that it is (as far as I can tell) NOT a from-scratch- developed as a perfect small folder knife, but "just" a downsized PM2 - transferring features that fit he PM2, but not so much the Para 3.

One being the thick blade stock.

Another being the "round butt" at the handle end:
Good on the PM2 for most hand sizes, but unnecessarily restricting the available grip area on the Para 3 handle too much, while making the handle (also unnecessarily) bulky. A flat, and as long as possible handle downside at the handle end (like on the Chap) would be better imo.

/ Chap: Funny, to me the Chap is honestly very stable in my hand (actually one of the things I really like on that model) - much less likely to shift or rotate than for example a Native (I never had a Sage) - BUT: That will be due to me almost never putting my thumb on the spine, but rather on the side/flat of the blade. If I used your grip (most do, I think) I might have the same issue.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:08 am

Para 3: ...

Chap: ...
Again, can only agree. Just to clarify - Chap is perfectly fine for me when held more with a pinch type of grip (which honestly is the more logical one). Had I got the Carbon one instead of the LW, I would have probably not even consider asking my friend for custom scales. But the FRN would kill my suit pants pocket.
R100

Post by R100 »

I like all these knives but the Native is king for me. I prefer to carry knives this size clipless and like a backlock for the self closing bias. The Delica is a great slicer but the Native is just more robust and ergonomic and I like it better if it is the only knife I have on me.

Dan
Sharp24/7

Post by Sharp24/7 »

JSumm wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:07 am
Sharp24/7 wrote:
What I’d really love to see is a Golden produced folder with the thin grind of the Seki models.
You should try to get a UKPK in your hands. It is fantastic. Maybe one day we will get a locking version. Blade stock like a Delica but better ergos for me. Also, very strong detent similar to the Delica and it locks in place very well despite the non-locking design. Made in Golden!
I might have to try one. The ergos and overall size look very appealing. My only hang up is that it’s non-locking. Probably silly/petty, but I can’t fathom using a non-locking knife when I have the opening of using a locking knife. That said, I wouldn’t want to miss out….
kobold

Post by kobold »

Native - I like humpless blades more, it's easy to disassemble and maintain, great ergonomics, Golden made, aesthetics, available in more steels (I think), last but not least, best locking mechanism for me. Followed by the Sage.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is the knife that will make a believer out of anyone. It is so ergonomic it is a wonder. It is also a very good slicer. It is by far my favorite 3" bladed folder made by anybody.

I just don't get along with the Native. To say it doesn't fit my hand just doesn't go far enough. Plus, it is not as good of a slicer as the Delica or Caly3.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Delica.

Lil'Temp & Caly 3 are close behind.

I've carried every version of the Delica - from the 1st to the current 4th. Ergonomics are perfect for my hand, does everything I need a knife to do, and it's not so expensive or rare that I'm afraid to use it.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Salt 2 (basically a Delica, but better :winking-tongue )
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tangent wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:36 am
Salt 2 (basically a Delica, but better :winking-tongue )

Lighter, a bit more cutting edge, extremely rust proof, larger opening hole.. I'd say you have a point here ;)

I am undecided though... corrosion resistance is not important to me, I like the balance and "heavier" (still lighter than a Para 3 LW) feel in hand of the Delica better and think those who put their thumb on the ramp might prefer the a bit less steep of the Delica (using the ramp of the Salt pushes the hand a bit further back on the handle)

Both amazing small folders in any case though, no doubt!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:47 am
The Delica is the knife that will make a believer out of anyone. It is so ergonomic it is a wonder. It is also a very good slicer. It is by far my favorite 3" bladed folder made by anybody.

Oddly, I find the Delica unambiguously non-ergonomic for my hand. I've bought, and then given away, it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it works for people with much larger diameter fingers (though I wear a size L to XL glove). There must be enough variability in physiology that, like shoes, there's no one-fits-all. This is sad for me because I like the size and the blade shape and the variety of the Delica.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:28 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Oddly, I find the Delica unambiguously non-ergonomic for my hand. I've bought, and then given away, it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it works for people with much larger diameter fingers (though I wear a size L to XL glove). There must be enough variability in physiology that, like shoes, there's no one-fits-all. This is sad for me because I like the size and the blade shape and the variety of the Delica.
i also don't care for the ergonomics of the delica. what has changed my mind on the model though is that it's much thinner blade means i don't have to bear down quite as much and i'm also not using it as hard. in my usage, the ergonomics are less important on the delica than they are on heavier duty knives like the manix, which still remains my favorite. i just had to stop wanting the delica to be a manix and learn to appreciate it for what it is.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bolster wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Yes, I have big, thick fingers. Have you tried shaving off that bump? I do that on the Endura and it changes everything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

Oddly, I find the Delica unambiguously non-ergonomic for my hand. I've bought, and then given away, it just doesn't work for me. Perhaps it works for people with much larger diameter fingers (though I wear a size L to XL glove). There must be enough variability in physiology that, like shoes, there's no one-fits-all....
Even more odd:

- We must have pretty much the same hand size and shape, I also wear L to XL gloves (most times XL) but my fingers are not too "big and thick" (quote) like Docs, just a bit stronger and a bit widened from climbing and some physical work.

- Still, like Doc, I find the Delica very ergonomic and also roomy enough in the handle.
Actually love its ergos, and a Delica with more cutting edge (so blade fully handle filling and as little ricasso/kick as possible) could very well be among my top EDC folders...

- Though it's pretty clear that the finger grooves almost have to make for a less neutral, less "fit them all" handle.. I happen to love the stability and locked in feel the grooves give my hand, but for not too few the "points" between the grooves appearantly sit in the wrong places for perfect ergos.

- @Bolster (and others):
Could you try the Delica just once held not with the thumb on the ramp, but thumb on the flat of the blade (or in a hammer grip) and report back?
I use knives mostly in that grip and would be interested if this way of holding the Delica makes a difference for you.
In any case it places the hand further forward on the handle as using the ramp does, this might aligne the fingers better with the grooves.