Native 5 salt - magnacut or lc200n - help me pick

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hobbyist

Native 5 salt - magnacut or lc200n - help me pick

Post by hobbyist »

Ignoring color (I’m fine with either) how do I pick between LC200N and magnacut. I prefer the sharpmaker and I prefer the brown and white rods because then I don’t have to carry extra stuff. I have sharpened s30v just fine with that setup. Would magnacut be ok? I have loads of lc200n and love it. But no natives. Maybe I’d love magnacut more?
JoviAl

Re: Native 5 salt - magnacut or lc200n - help me pick

Post by JoviAl »

I own both steels and can’t see anything that LC200N does that Magnacut cannot do as well or better. It’s a piece of cake to sharpen (dual grit it - it’s a joy), functionally rustproof in my experience (daily all day use at work outdoors in the tropics) and tough as old boots. Maybe if I was using it as a dive knife I’d opt for LC200N, but other than that I’d take Magnacut all day.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
hobbyist

Post by hobbyist »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:34 am
I own both steels and can’t see anything that LC200N does that Magnacut cannot do as well or better. It’s a piece of cake to sharpen (dual grit it - it’s a joy), functionally rustproof in my experience (daily all day use at work outdoors in the tropics) and tough as old boots. Maybe if I was using it as a dive knife I’d opt for LC200N, but other than that I’d take Magnacut all day.
Nice, thanks. You can sharpen it without diamonds or cbn?
petz462

Post by petz462 »

I own two Natives and you're lookin at them. Sold my others. The LC200N does require sharpening more often, easily done with brown Sharpmaker rods. I haven't sharpened the Magnacut yet, it's holding the factory edge well and it came extremely sharp. In fairness I haven't used it that much. I like the fact that the LC sharpens up quickly and will continue to use both, but if I was forced to only choose one, it would be Magnacut.

Dave
USAF Retired
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

hobbyist wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:48 am
JoviAl wrote:
I can tune mine up on my sharpmaker if I have to, but I usually dual grit it on my KME with diamond plates as it’s really fast and lasts a LOT of cuts.
- Al

Dream knives -
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

JoviAl wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:57 pm
hobbyist wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Hey AL,
I just wrote you in the vanax thread. I´ve been sharpening my LC200N the same as my MC. Increased the edge retention, however, constantly stropping the LC whereas not as often on the MC. Clear edge retaining advantage to MC. That being said, I get both of them wet in the ocean occasionally. Each of my MC´s have had a punctate focus of rust. A bear to buffer out with an even smaller focus of pitting. The LC has not. (nor has the vanax).
I can tune mine up on my sharpmaker if I have to, but I usually dual grit it on my KME with diamond plates as it’s really fast and lasts a LOT of cuts.
Alex
Scientia et pax
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

From what I gather, Magnacut is the superior steel and is probably what hillary'd K390, which is why we're starting to see it disappear. Unless there's an anticipated future collector value to k390 knives, I'd go with magnacut
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

If you have loads of LC, I'd suggest to try the MagnaCut.

I have a bunch of LC and a little MC. Both are great.

If you're sharpening s30v to your satisfaction, then you will do well with MC with the same kit.

Not sure why anyone is bringing K390 into the discussion? It's an awesome steel, but in a totally different class. On that tangentially related note, I highly doubt K390 is going away, or that MC has much to do with K390 SE and Wharncliffe models being discontinued.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:19 pm
From what I gather, Magnacut is the superior steel and is probably what hillary'd K390, which is why we're starting to see it disappear. Unless there's an anticipated future collector value to k390 knives, I'd go with magnacut
Don't read rumors started by a rumor monger. Spyderco discontinues knives every year to make room for more. That's it. End of story. K390 is not going away until Sal says so. All of those that were discontinued were slow selling models. All the rest of the K390 are still standard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:16 pm
JoviAl wrote:
hobbyist wrote:
JoviAl wrote:
Hey AL,
I just wrote you in the vanax thread. I´ve been sharpening my LC200N the same as my MC. Increased the edge retention, however, constantly stropping the LC whereas not as often on the MC. Clear edge retaining advantage to MC. That being said, I get both of them wet in the ocean occasionally. Each of my MC´s have had a punctate focus of rust. A bear to buffer out with an even smaller focus of pitting. The LC has not. (nor has the vanax).
Yeah, by all accounts MC is not quite as contemptuous towards corrosion as LC200N and Vanax in salt water, but nothing I’ve done to it yet has phased mine. I ‘accidentally’ left mine in its sheath (read - went on holiday and couldn’t be bothered to clean it before I left work) covered in banana palm sap and citrus for two weeks and it didn’t even leave a stain.

On a sort of related note - have you tried a dual grit edge on your MC yet? I’ve found it highly amenable for work, although it’s not especially pretty like a mirror edge.
- Al

Dream knives -
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:40 am
alphaneuron9 wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 8:16 pm
JoviAl wrote:
quote]

Hey AL,
Yeah, by all accounts MC is not quite as contemptuous towards corrosion as LC200N and Vanax in salt water, but nothing I’ve done to it yet has phased mine. I ‘accidentally’ left mine in its sheath (read - went on holiday and couldn’t be bothered to clean it before I left work) covered in banana palm sap and citrus for two weeks and it didn’t even leave a stain.

On a sort of related note - have you tried a dual grit edge on your MC yet? I’ve found it highly amenable for work, although it’s not especially pretty like a mirror edge.
- Al

Dream knives -
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

There is no way 15V and K390 can go away without a Native Chief model and I own at least 2 of each.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
alphaneuron9

Post by alphaneuron9 »

Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:44 pm
There is no way 15V and K390 can go away without a Native Chief model and I own at least 2 of each.
So you think 15V will be back in another spyderco model, aside from the collab model with shawn? My real question is do I buy a 15V from a scalper on ebay or do I wait for spyderco? Since the first 3 models were sprint runs, that means they won´t make them again, correct? (I don´t have the nerve to ask Sal that. I don´t know why.)
Alex
Scientia et pax
Stas

Post by Stas »

How the thread about Native 5 salt Magnacut and LC200n become 15V rumors ?.. :)

With Spyderco all is possible if demand is here.
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Between the LC200N and the Magnacut versions. I'd give the Magnacut a try if you already have lots of LC200N. I don't have any Magnacut. That would be my thought process to go with something I haven't tried I would imagine too that Magnacut is going to beat out LC200N in edge stability which I personally place a lot of value in.

I think you will be fine on the SM.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

alphaneuron9 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:11 am
Naperville wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:44 pm
So you think 15V will be back in another spyderco model, aside from the collab model with shawn? My real question is do I buy a 15V from a scalper on ebay or do I wait for spyderco? Since the first 3 models were sprint runs, that means they won´t make them again, correct? (I don´t have the nerve to ask Sal that. I don´t know why.)
I've never purchased anything from ebay. It might be OK, or it might not.

I use a consignment service, AZ Custom Knives. They sell the knife to me and are responsible for validating that it is what the seller says it is, they handle the shipping to me.

If you are looking for any knives get on AZ Custom Knives and set up notifications for whatever brand you are interested in. They may also have notifications for other things(I do not know) and you may be able to get a 15V notification...but the best bet is to park yourself on AZ Custom Knives and a few other sites for knives and be ready to purchase.

I do not know if Spyderco will have more knives in any particular steels or styles available. I'm like everyone else here, I just wait for news of the drop.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/