Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Dnwrghtsr

Re: Chaparral

Post by Dnwrghtsr »

I have the Raffir Nobel model. The scales are stunning. You can see the mechanism inside working but it is not really obvious. It’s hard to explain. When they are in the sun they really pop. The Taischung knives feel to be so well built. The Chaparral is my favorite small knife and the Kapara is my favorite mid size knife.
Lc200n, s90v, magnacut, 20v, 204p, cruwear, s110v, 15v, cts-xhp
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

I'd certainly like to see a Chaparral with Fat Carbon CF and magnesium handles.

With a priority given to magnesium handles as there's already a CF/FRN version available (and it's a nice one), whilst the metal versions have been discontinued.

... but above all... Magnacut blades !!! ⚡⚡⚡⚡
kobold

Post by kobold »

Yes to Fluted CF, yes to Blue Denim Micarta, meh to Ultem. I agree that the Raffir Noble does the see through thing better and I think that the two scales would kinda clash with each other at this time. Maybe do the Ultem once the Raffir Noble model is disco'd..

But also yes to more natural materials, be it wood or bone or horn. Or bronze, to go with all the bronze watches out there. Yeah, it would be heavy, but it's a small knife and some milling could be done to it. I would also buy classic sand blasted titanium scales, like on the Sage 2.

Should the Chap come in Magnacut? IDK, personally I would like Magnacut on a bigger knife more, where it can shine. On a liner-lock Millie or the Chief mostly, but I won't protest if there is a Chap in it.
Last edited by kobold on Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’d love to see polished linen micarta like Moki does it on the chap. Also flush finished steel pins
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I'll be fine with a SE LW, Salty preferred.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Two Chaparral models were Discontinued in August 2023:

1. Chaparral CTS-XHP CF/G-10 Laminate
  2. Chaparral Sun & Moon CTS-XHP White G-10 (Red G-10 Inlay) & Black G-10 (Mother-of-Pearl Inlay)

These are the only remaining models:

1. Chaparral 5 CTS-XHP Raffir Noble Composite Scales
  2. Chaparral 6 CTS-XHP Gray FRN
  3. Chaparral CTS-XHP Birdseye Maple
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:51 pm
Two Chaparral models were Discontinued in August 2023:

1. Chaparral CTS-XHP CF/G-10 Laminate
  2. Chaparral Sun & Moon CTS-XHP White G-10 (Red G-10 Inlay) & Black G-10 (Mother-of-Pearl Inlay)

These are the only remaining models:

1. Chaparral 5 CTS-XHP Raffir Noble Composite Scales
  2. Chaparral 6 CTS-XHP Gray FRN
  3. Chaparral CTS-XHP Birdseye Maple
Funny that you should post that, I had just realised that those two were removed from the line-up (including the CF/G-10 I had referred to as being available) and was about to rectify my earlier post.

Not surprised about the Sun & Moon, as this didn't seem to be much popular.

But the CF/G-10 variant ? It had been a mainstay until now.
Is the newer, and cheaper FRN variant eating that much into its sales ?
Or does it signal something else, like a change of steel ?

I'm no believer but I just hope that Sal and Eric have heard our (my) prayers 🙏

A CF/G-10 variant upgraded with Magnacut would, after all, be a good enough differentiator to justify the price difference against the FRN model.
And the steel is all that'd need to be changed - no need to re-design a new set of scales.

PS : thanks for your continuous work of keeping the tallies, RamZar 👍
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I don't understand what the issue with CTS-XHP is. Is everyone just bored with the Chaps always coming with it?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:56 pm
I don't understand what the issue with CTS-XHP is. Is everyone just bored with the Chaps always coming with it?
I really can’t understand this either.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
kobold

Post by kobold »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:06 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:56 pm
I really can’t understand this either.
Beats me.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

XHP is still a great steel. And I picked up a Sun and Moon and I'm blown away how good it is and I already have the LW and Rafir version. I'm not opposed to MagnaCut but I don't see it as a necessity like I do with some other models.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Since the Chap isn't a knife I subject to heavy use requiring tough steel, my preference would be to see the Chap in high edge retention steels that may have only modest toughness. I've always thought S110V would make a good Chap steel. Very high edge retention and high stain resistance. I don't seek high toughness in a gent's knife.

XHP is a good match for the Chap, IMO, and a nicely balanced steel all around. Medium-high ER and good toughness for its ER range. I recollect XHP's ER is in the same neighborhood but a little higher than SPY27, S35VN, S45VN, Elmax. XHP is moderately stainless. Its chromium carbides make it easy to sharpen. It's a well balanced steel.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Araignee wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:26 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:51 pm
A CF/G-10 variant upgraded with Magnacut would, after all, be a good enough differentiator to justify the price difference against the FRN model.
And the steel is all that'd need to be changed - no need to re-design a new set of scales.

According to Sal it will rather be the FRN Chap that will get variations... see here for example viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92165#p1614611

Completely fine with me personally, since I happen to really like FRN, but can't warm up much to CF.

/ Now what I am REALLY waiting for is the SE Chap of which Sal said he'd be testing already... :tonque-out
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:00 pm
Since the Chap isn't a knife I subject to heavy use requiring tough steel...

Well, my friend, I won't get into details yet again, but I just have to say it once more:
In my practical use the Chap IS a knife for heavy/ "hard" use in the realm of folder (!!) tasks..

As always: I'd challenge everyone to do the hardest tasks they actually generally perform with folders with their Chap. You will surprised what that short (not much leverage) and actually pretty "strong tipped" (for the thin stock) blade can take, as well as the extremely sturdily built (for how thin it is overall) whole knife.
And in many tasks one will actually need to apply less force and stress on the blade right BECAUSE it is thin and goes through material with less effort.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:06 pm
According to Sal it will rather be the FRN Chap that will get variations... see here for example viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92165#p1614611

Completely fine with me personally, since I happen to really like FRN, but can't warm up much to CF.

/ Now what I am REALLY waiting for is the SE Chap of which Sal said he'd be testing already... :tonque-out
Serrated and/or Wharncliffe ? Naja, sign me up for this too, most especially if they come in Magnacut :cheap-sunglasses
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am not even sure I want another Chap when I already have the Maple and this little beauty.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

👆 We don't see this version posted enough on here.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:53 am
I'd still like to get one but I'd like to see the one I buy first. Some people have complained that the one they received was kind of disappointing. Plus I have a few other Chaps that don't get carried as much as they should despite the size being great for general EDC
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:57 am
JSumm wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:53 am
I'd still like to get one but I'd like to see the one I buy first. Some people have complained that the one they received was kind of disappointing. Plus I have a few other Chaps that don't get carried as much as they should despite the size being great for general EDC
It's definitely one to pick out in person. A lot of variation.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kobold

Post by kobold »

The scales on both the maple and the raffir noble chaps were more decorative on the pocket clip side, so i took the clips off and replaced the shorter pocket clip on a dragonfly for better retention. It's a win-win.

I think the Raffir Noble model is underrated.