Manix 2 more popular than Paramilitary 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cjk

Re: Manix 2 more popular than Paramilitary 2?

Post by cjk »

This is why there's not a 3.5 inch Native variant. It would wipe the floor with all these other things. :winking-tongue

Sharp Guy wrote: As much as I like the Manix 2 I'd find hard to believe it's more popular than the iconic Paramilitary 2 in general

I am in agreement here. It seems that the PM2 is obviously more popular. It appears the be the #1 dealer exclusive.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

the fact that the Manix was the first 15V knife offering really helped getting the designs in hands that would not normally hold it. However, I think this is mostly due to the steel attraction than anything, when I see all the new-to-Spyderco french people I met over the past months, most of them bought a PM2 in their 3 first Spydercos and no Manix.

The PM2 is still highly regarder as THE Spyderco for the less aficionado public ^^. What is fun though, is that every french newbie bought one spyderco, then at least one or two other Spydercos ! :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
anycal

Post by anycal »

I have a good amount of experience with both knives. At the end of the day, there is nothing you can say or do to change my preference between them. I trust most of you who have used both are are in the same boat. Independent of what others think.

Is one more popular than the other? I am sure. But it makes no difference to me.
Peter
vivi

Post by vivi »

I don't care for either.

Now the full sized versions? Those are where its at!
:unicorn
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I like the Manix 2. I don’t love it. That choil just wants to hang up on stuff and cuts into the blade length too much. I have a few.

The PM2 otoh.. that is just about perfect as is.

I find I cut more accurately with the straight spine clip point PM2 blade, than I do with the leaf blade on the Manix.

I don’t hate choils, just the way the Manix choil is situated. I’m also not big on larger leaf blades, especially when a big hunk is taken up with a choil.

I’d like the Manix better without the choil all in all.

My dislike of the Manix choil led me to discount the Native 5, just because of that 50/50 choil that it has, but, for some reason, the choil on the Native doesn't seem to hang up for me. It’s become a favorite that I would never have tried if I hadn’t have picked one up on sale.

We all have our reasons for liking one knife over another and we can get pretty vehement about it.

I’m just trying to explain why the Manix is not a home run for me, even though I love the CBBL and the general ergos.
Last edited by jwbnyc on Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Studiousworkman

Post by Studiousworkman »

One thing you may find interesting is, if you hold a Demko AD20, AD20S (Slim) or the (Custom) AD20 Compact, the ergonomics are almost identical to a Manix 2. The only real difference is that the handle slabs are a bit thicker and more contoured on the Demko than the Manix. They both have that feeling of "this was made for my hand". :hugging-face

thuyenbuom wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:44 pm
For EDC (light to medium duty) I usually grab a Manix 2 LW FRCP going out the door. That is because the Manix 2 seems lighter & grippier than the PM2 in G-10. Perhaps the Manix 2 feels lighter because of the nested liners & non-steel backspacers. For a harder duty task I prefer to use a Paramilitary 2 in G-10. Popularity for me depends on the task at hand :smlling-eyes
Studiousworkman

Post by Studiousworkman »

You hit the nail on the head. Videos (whether hollywood or youtube) seem to sway the audience in a certain way or to a certain thing. That's why I have handled and tried hundreds of knives just to see if it works for me. The Manix just works very well. I may be in the minority by saying this but it doesn't bother me:

Many popular knives have come and gone out of my collection only because there was a lot of hype and not enough substance behind them. It always seems to be the underdog or the odd one out that really shines :check-mark

I know people go crazy right now over the Craig Brown FSD custom knife, but when I got it in hand and started playing with it, I wasn't impressed.

Custom knives are a totally different topic and ballgame though. Cheers! :clinking-mugs

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:50 pm
i don't think the manix is more popular. i think people just have pm2 fatigue after the crazy run of variants. i think a lot of people have been turned off of spyderco, complaining of a lack of innovation (which is laughable when talking about spyderco) because of the many exclusive variants. i think many of those people were the type that just liked flipping their pm2 while watching their favorite youtube tabletop "reviewers".

i guess what i'm trying to say is that the pm2 has more general appeal to a wider audience, but manix is king and it's fans are more likely to be aficionados that weren't just swayed by watching videos of someone playing with the knife instead of using it.

before someone gets mad... i'm not saying the pm2 is a bad design or a bad knife at all. it's a great knife. i'm just saying the youtube sensation is probably largely responsible for the pm2 having a surge in popularity that seems to have faded a bit.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have enough of each not to angst about their popularity with anyone else but me. But sometimes I do angst about which to carry.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:13 pm
apollo wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:53 pm
I think they are similar in popularity and both are amazing knives. But my choice is the Manix over the Para all day everyday.
For some odd reason I knew you would make a Post appearance! 😂 Dan
Haha hi buddy you know there isn’t a topic I haven’t seen where the name Manix has come up. ;)
And in a topic like this i can not resist the need to support my favorite design. :beaming-face
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I feel that the PM2 is more popular, but I like the Manix 2, especially the lightweight, more. Introducing screw construction to the Manix LW will no doubt encourage more folks to check it out.

They are both good designs, and it's a win for everyone if both are popular.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The ol' Manix 2 vs Paramilitary 2 debate. Eric vs Sal There's no wrong answer.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

Perhaps, the question of whether the Manix 2 is more "popular" than the PM2 could be thought of in terms of a knife model's impact, visibility & reputation among its users (as a group)...rather than "preference" of use (as an individual) as I alluded to previously :thinking
Last edited by thuyenbuom on Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I own both and I like both, but I think overall the PM2 is much more popular. I bought a G10 Manix 2 a long time ago and I liked it but because of its weight I thought it would be a better work knife than EDC knife. Then I bought the LW Manix 2 and I like it better but I'm not ready to say I like it more than my PM2.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

Studiousworkman wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:20 pm
Yes, it certainly is a staple for sure. I'm sure the one you're looking for is the one that everyone wants another batch of lol. 15V I presume? :cheap-sunglasses

Yep ‼️ 😅

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Pm2 does not fit my big hands. Weirdly, the M2 does, but just barely. I have one PM2 that I bought for the color and the steel, and I have 5 M2s of various kinds.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

Same answer as debating over two beautiful women. Why not both at the same time? 😂😂😂
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I stared out as a Manix guy, but eventually ended up with team PM2. For me, the Manix2 is a knife that feels great to hold, but not as good when using it as the PM2.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Bring back the back lock M2! Make it a light weight!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:12 am
Bring back the back lock M2! Make it a light weight!
if they made a m2lw backlock in the same dimensions as a current m2lw (instead of the thicker blade and scales), it would make a great salt knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Manix is more popular with me.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal