Looking for a Self Defense Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Naperville

Looking for a Self Defense Knife?

Post by Naperville »

MY PICK: Spyderco Enuff 2 Fixed Blade Knife 3.93" K390 Leaf Shaped Plain Blade, Blue FRN Handles, Polymer Sheath - FB31PBL2K390 ($225)

:party-face

VIDEO OF THE KNIFE
https://youtu.be/SIsS6tUGWis

I normally don't rant and rave about much. Everyone that reads my posts knows that I like the Spyderco Native Chief for a folder and I'll never be without one, but I like the Enough 2 fixed blade in K390. A LOT, and I'm thinking of getting 2 of them for myself! I'm recommending them to everyone that I know, and these folks carry firearms.

This knife comes in plain edge and serrated in K390. Experts on serrated blades should weigh in. I like folders just fine but when the SHTF a fixed blade cannot be beat.

Excellent 4 inch, fixed blade, carry knife. Better than a folder for self defense, always ready to use. Excellent steel, one of the very best in the world. Good grip, even when your hands are wet or bloody. Get rid of the "security strap" and get an ankle mount for mounting under your pants near your ankle.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-enu ... k390-blade
https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... de--179358
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SPFB31 ... mer-sheath

Do me a favor and don't buy them all... I need 2! :cheap-sunglasses
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Looking for a Self Defense Knife?

Post by Doc Dan »

I want one of these. When the economy recovers I will get one. This one is a high priority.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:58 pm
I want one of these. When the economy recovers I will get one. This one is a high priority.
The only knife that comes close is the Bradford Guardian 4, but the handle/grip on the Enough 2 is much better because you just may thrust into something solid and the Bradford is NOT going to stop your hand from sliding down onto the blade!!! IT IS A REALLY BAD DESIGN FLAW for a self defense knife. I have one, have had it for years, and I know this first hand.

I'll end up with 2 Spyderco Enough 2 in K390, and I'll unload the Bradford.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

I like the knife as a tool, but K390 for a self defense knife? Are you doing enough self defence that the edge wears out on VG10?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vandelay wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:19 pm
I like the knife as a tool, but K390 for a self defense knife? Are you doing enough self defence that the edge wears out on VG10?
I always buy the best knives. The best grip. The best steels. I settle for nothing but the best, my life depends on it.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Naperville wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:33 pm
vandelay wrote:
I always buy the best knives. The best grip. The best steels. I settle for nothing but the best, my life depends on it.
To determine whats best you have to take the application into account. That’s why they’re all good, just different.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Naperville wrote:
vandelay wrote:
Without meaning to be nosy (your business is not my business) do you carry self defence knives day to day or for your work? The reason I ask is I’ve lived in some fairly dangerous places myself, but the laws in those places were always zero tolerance to self defence knife carry so it’s never been an option for me. I knew a couple of guys who had moved from SF to close personal protection though and they would often wear a variety of ‘tools’ about their person when at work in second world and third world countries. Just interested 🤷🏼‍♂️
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JoviAl wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:43 am
Naperville wrote:
vandelay wrote:
Without meaning to be nosy (your business is not my business) do you carry self defence knives day to day or for your work? The reason I ask is I’ve lived in some fairly dangerous places myself, but the laws in those places were always zero tolerance to self defence knife carry so it’s never been an option for me. I knew a couple of guys who had moved from SF to close personal protection though and they would often wear a variety of ‘tools’ about their person when at work in second world and third world countries. Just interested 🤷🏼‍♂️
After living on the South Side of Chicago in a neighborhood which abutted Englewood (a very bad neighborhood) and Bridgeport (not a very good neighborhood) on and off for 25yrs, I moved out around 2016. I had been assaulted enough and do not plan on going back. My family has $600,000+ in vacant property in Chicago and we are preparing to unload it because nobody in my family wants to live with their laws, their mindset, their level of criminality.

I carry for the defense of my family, and myself. I probably would not get involved in another persons business (a fight or similar disturbance) unless it was a woman, child or elderly involved then I'd probably be forced to do something. I'm not going to walk away from something like that. It just isn't in me.

My brother is a recently retired Chicago Police Officer with approx 25yrs on the job, He has seen everything and dealt with everything. I recommend knives to him for use during work and off work. He is now an armed security guard for a large retail chain in the Chicagoland area.

I carry knives. I try to abide by all laws. I defend myself at all costs. I'll take an arrest and conviction over being hospitalized, maimed, disfigured, crippled, or worse. I have used knives to defend myself and I'll always do it. It is my right to defend myself and I'll do it to the day they bury me. I'm 63 now, so having a conviction on my record means quite a bit less to me now that I am not out looking for work. I do not look for trouble in any capacity. I avoid trouble. I do not go to bars, hangout anywhere and I stay home. I've never been in jail or prison and don't plan on ever being there, but self defense is just that, self defense, not antagonizing or starting trouble.

I guess we all have to decide what we are going to tolerate.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:24 am
JoviAl wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:43 am
Naperville wrote:
vandelay wrote:
After living on the South Side of Chicago in a neighborhood which abutted Englewood (a very bad neighborhood) and Bridgeport (not a very good neighborhood) on and off for 25yrs, I moved out around 2016. I had been assaulted enough and do not plan on going back. My family has $600,000+ in vacant property in Chicago and we are preparing to unload it because nobody in my family wants to live with their laws, their mindset, their level of criminality.

I carry for the defense of my family, and myself. I probably would not get involved in another persons business (a fight or similar disturbance) unless it was a woman, child or elderly involved then I'd probably be forced to do something. I'm not going to walk away from something like that. It just isn't in me.

My brother is a recently retired Chicago Police Officer with approx 25yrs on the job, He has seen everything and dealt with everything. I recommend knives to him for use during work and off work. He is now an armed security guard for a large retail chain in the Chicagoland area.

I carry knives. I try to abide by all laws. I defend myself at all costs. I'll take an arrest and conviction over being hospitalized, maimed, disfigured, crippled, or worse. I have used knives to defend myself and I'll always do it. It is my right to defend myself and I'll do it to the day they bury me. I'm 63 now, so having a conviction on my record means quite a bit less to me now that I am not out looking for work. I do not look for trouble in any capacity. I avoid trouble. I do not go to bars, hangout anywhere and I stay home. I've never been in jail or prison and don't plan on ever being there, but self defense is just that, self defense, not antagonizing or starting trouble.

I guess we all have to decide what we are going to tolerate.
Good points well made 👍🏻

I am by no means against carrying knives for personal protection - I have a martial arts background and a knife can be a great equaliser. It’s certainly no fun trying to fight someone when they have one! I hope you never have to use one for protection again, but better prepared than a victim 👍🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

When it comes to purely self defense, the full SE is the way to go. I dont think a lot of people here realize how much damage SE can do. Its massive. I think I'd honestly rather face someone with a gun than a full SE blade that knows how to handle a knife. Its just nasty, nasty, nasty.
Blaine in the Rock

Post by Blaine in the Rock »

trainingday.jpg
Serrations can be highly effective.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think guns work better for this role.
:unicorn
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

vivi wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:42 am
Agreed, guns over serrations…personally I’d rather duke it out with someone holding a knife than a gun…long time ago I owned a sandwich shop with a couple buddies and I was up front at the register when in walks a clean cut looking guy, thought nothing of it…well he proceeds to order and pay but when I went to give him his change there was a gun pointed right at me(never saw him pull it cuz I was looking down counting bills)…so I just held my hands out and slowly backed away…now if it would have been a knife I would have shut the register and yelled to someone in the kitchen to call 911 and pass me a butcher knife through the expediting window and taken my chances.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Fairbairn warned that if you fight with a guy with a knife you are going to get cut. He said if at all possible, run away. Back home, someone pulls a knife on my I'd simply shoot them. I don't want to get cut and bleed out waiting on an ambulance.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:40 am
Fairbairn warned that if you fight with a guy with a knife you are going to get cut. He said if at all possible, run away. Back home, someone pulls a knife on my I'd simply shoot them. I don't want to get cut and bleed out waiting on an ambulance.
Yeah you’re absolutely right, probably be best to run to the back and lock ourselves in the office,call 911 and wait…heck I hate getting cut on the finger so getting stabbed or sliced up really doesn’t appeal to me either… guess I could finish the story; so when the police showed they said I did the right thing being caught off guard like that and it could have been much worse had I retaliated…after that incident we kept a gun under the front counter but I ended up selling out my part of the business not too long after…now if he would have come back with the same ammo after that day it definitely would not have been pretty…that was one of the reasons I sold out, another being sandwiches-I couldn’t stand to look at one much less smell or eat one for almost a year afterward and I love sandwiches
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Here's your answer! Such a baaaaaad knife.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

vivi wrote:
They all have firearms, these are off duty and retired Chicago police officers. I recommend and buy knives for my brother and he wears the knives. He talks to other officers and shows them what he has.
Erion929

Post by Erion929 »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:10 am
When it comes to purely self defense, the full SE is the way to go. I dont think a lot of people here realize how much damage SE can do. Its massive. I think I'd honestly rather face someone with a gun than a full SE blade that knows how to handle a knife. Its just nasty, nasty, nasty.

Good point☝️. That Enuff looks sweet…..but at $224, not so much.

What’s goofy is I can conceal my CCW firearm, but here in Cali, I’d have to carry that Spyderco open carry 😂
vivi

Post by vivi »

Erion929 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:03 am
ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:10 am

Good point☝️. That Enuff looks sweet…..but at $224, not so much.

What’s goofy is I can conceal my CCW firearm, but here in Cali, I’d have to carry that Spyderco open carry 😂
The laws sure can be funny.

Anyways the VG10 version is both cheaper and better suited for the role. I'd take the extra toughness and corrosion resistance on a knife I expect to carry often in the outdoors, likely exposing it to rain, sweat etc. Also doing little to no cutting with it, but knowing that any cutting I did would likely involve hard impact on bone, zippers, etc. that toughness matters way more than edge holding.

Something tough, simple and corrosion resistant is ideal for this application. H1, AEB-L, 12C27, etc.

Also people are divided on SE vs PE for this role. I've read some say SE can snag on clothing more so PE is the way to go. PE is also much stronger of an edge generally.

When I carry a self defense fixed blade at my security gigs I personally go with PE in tough stainless steels, like BD1 and VG10.

There are meat cut tests comparing both edge types on youtube. I stumbled across one while looking for Pacific Salt PE vs SE comparison videos back before I gave SE another shot a few years ago.
:unicorn
Danke

Post by Danke »

vivi wrote:
I tried a serrated gun once. Tricky to keep a good grip.