Sharpfinger...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Murphy Slaw

Sharpfinger...

Post by Murphy Slaw »

My uncle Bill died recently, and I inherited this old Schrade. I remember and knew the original owner of it, a biker from the east Mesa/Apache Jct. (Phoenix) area who was a very close friend of the family. There were many bikers hanging around my dad and uncle in the 70's and this guy was a big-hearted soul. He died in an accident in the very early 80's and my uncle has had this knife ever since, until now. I actually wore a Sharpfinger later in life because of him for many years.

He wore it in front, the sheath is notched so it can be removed without un-snapping. The tip is broken. It's brought back many memories in a way that only a man's knife can do.

Naperville

Re: Sharpfinger...

Post by Naperville »

I like the profile of the blade. Now I have to be on the lookout for something 3.5 to 4 inches long just like it.

I think SouthNarc had them but they were too expensive.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

First fixed blade I ever had. My Grandfather gave me one to use as a fishing knife. Dummy kid that I was I put it in my tacklebox wet & forgot about it for a while. Next time I pulled it out it was rusted badly. Chucked it to hide the fact I didn't properly care for it from my Grandfather.

I have one sitting over in my knife pile in my home office. Bought it off ebay due to nostalgia. As a kid in the 70s Shrade Sharpfingers were all over the place. There's a member over on Bladeforums that worked at Schrade. He talked about how you would see some with melted Delrin around the lanyard holes because people were using them like a roach clip to smoke joints - I got a chuckle out of that.

Looking back on them as an adult, they're a great little fixed blade. The handle is very comfortable in-hand, and a useful blade length in good carbon steel. The only negatives to me are: The blade grind near the ricasso is too thick and robs you of almost an inch of cutting edge. The leather sheath was thin & floppy - I stabbed through it and into my hip re-sheathing it. To be fair, it was old & worn, and soaking wet, but that pointy tip easily went through.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I have a Schrade/Old Timer Sharpfinger. There was (and still is) a small, local, family-owned hardware store down the street that used to have an old Schrade/Old Timer knife display case. I bought my Sharpfinger when I was 13 or 14; I remember it cost about $13 back then (1976/77). Admittedly, I never really used it. I bought it mainly to wear on my belt while doing my early morning (5:00 a.m.) paper route, in case I ever encountered a stray dog or a human perv. Neither ever happened during the years I had that paper route.

I also never used it because I thought it was beautiful, and I knew from previous experience with Schrade's pocketknives that their carbon steel rusted very easily. Thinking back, it's kind of surprising that a few stores like that were willing to sell knives to a 13 or 14 year old kid.

Jim
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

James Y wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:55 am
Thinking back, it's kind of surprising that a few stores like that were willing to sell knives to a 13 or 14 year old kid.

Jim
I bought many pocket knives at that age. I was also known to own a .22 rifle at age 11. It was a different time, indeed.

:cheap-sunglasses
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Those were innovative for the time and very capable knives in the field. A lot of hunters carried those. Are you going to fix the tip and use it?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:19 am
Are you going to fix the tip and use it?
I'm torn. I actually have my own, and it too is a scrimshaw and has been used gutting and skinning deer and rabbit.

This one is kind of sentimental because the original owner was a very close family friend. Part of me wants to fix it, and part of me says to leave it the way it was when he was killed in the wreck.

I haven't even sharpened it.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:32 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:19 am
Are you going to fix the tip and use it?
I'm torn. I actually have my own, and it too is a scrimshaw and has been used gutting and skinning deer and rabbit.

This one is kind of sentimental because the original owner was a very close family friend. Part of me wants to fix it, and part of me says to leave it the way it was when he was killed in the wreck.

I haven't even sharpened it.
That is a tough decision. I'd ask myself what he'd want to do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Halfneck wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 am
in the 70s Shrade Sharpfingers were all over the place. There's a member over on Bladeforums that worked at Schrade.
After reading this, I found a thread there with a wealth of information by a guy "Codger". I don't know if that's who you were referencing, but it was a fascinating read.

I knew they were popular back in the day, but I had no idea they were THAT popular. Even Sonny Barger wore one.

Thanks.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Murphy Slaw wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:22 am
Halfneck wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 am
in the 70s Shrade Sharpfingers were all over the place. There's a member over on Bladeforums that worked at Schrade.
After reading this, I found a thread there with a wealth of information by a guy "Codger". I don't know if that's who you were referencing, but it was a fascinating read.

I knew they were popular back in the day, but I had no idea they were THAT popular. Even Sonny Barger wore one.

Thanks.
Yes that is his forum name there.