Salt question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Salt question

Post by ImHereForTheMilitary2 »

I cant seem to find the answer anywhere. On the salt knives are just the blades made of h1 or is the hardware like screws and clips and lock made of h1 as well?
Wandering_About

Re: Salt question

Post by Wandering_About »

Generally the materials used for the hardware are kept as proprietary information not released to the public. Sometimes, such as on the Caribbean, the pocket clip is titanium, but that's about as much as we know.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Wandering_About wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:53 am
Generally the materials used for the hardware are kept as proprietary information not released to the public. Sometimes, such as on the Caribbean, the pocket clip is titanium, but that's about as much as we know.
All right good to know. I was just wondering if the non blade metal parts were susceptible to rust or if it was just the blade that was rust proof
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

ImHereForTheMilitary2 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:41 am
I cant seem to find the answer anywhere. On the salt knives are just the blades made of h1 or is the hardware like screws and clips and lock made of h1 as well?
I have not heard of any rust issues on hardware.

I am not sure what the hardware is made of but I know Spyderco goes through a ton of R&D for the hardware. As an example Spyderco delayed the MagnaCut release because they had trouble finding complimentary hardware that was stainless and now wear out.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

My guess would be marine grade stainless for the hardware but you have NOTHING to worry about 👊
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I recall Sal saying, in essence, that the corrosion-resistance of a Salt’s other metal components is almost as good as their magical blade-steel, but not as costly to acquire.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ImHereForTheMilitary2

word. thank you everyone. I think im definitely gonna pick up a salt. now to just figure out which one
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:32 am
word. thank you everyone. I think im definitely gonna pick up a salt. now to just figure out which one
go with the largest one you can legally carry. my personal preference and suggestion is always the pacific salt in serrated h1 (or h2, i guess). every spyderco fan should have that knife, or a salt 2 if the pacific is illegal where they live.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
James Y

Post by James Y »

IIRC, Sal mentioned that the non-blade steel hardware were specially-treated to enhance their corrosion resistance, but that the process was proprietary.

I believe that the clips on all the Salts are titanium.

I thought that the Caribbean's liners were made of LC200N, like the blade(?).

Jim
ImHereForTheMilitary2

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:04 am
go with the largest one you can legally carry. my personal preference and suggestion is always the pacific salt in serrated h1 (or h2, i guess). every spyderco fan should have that knife, or a salt 2 if the pacific is illegal where they live.
why would the pacific be illegal? They come in small sizes right? My state is doesnt have a length law so its not an issue
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:44 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
why would the pacific be illegal? They come in small sizes right? My state is doesnt have a length law so its not an issue
Pacific Salt is the larger one based on the Endura. The Salt is the smaller one based on the Delica. Some jurisdictions thinks larger knives are uh oh no no's.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

Salt knives are designed to be rust proof head to toe. Every part.

I have Pacific Salts and Tasman Salts from the 2000's that have never rusted. They're legit.

If you're into the Military and don't have silly knife laws where you live, I'd definitely go with the Pacific Salt instead of smaller options.

It's the best overall knife the company makes in my opinion. I used to view it as just a special situation pocket knife for when I needed extreme corrosion resistance, but its a great every day carry regardless of the situation.

If I weren't hyping myself up for the upcoming Military 2 DLC, that's what I'd be carrying.
:unicorn
tangent

Post by tangent »

I agree with vivi. I think the Pac Salt is the best overall knife Spyderco makes. Any variety is good…I prefer LC200N in plain edge due to the FFG. I have owned MANY Spyderco knives and have gotten rid of all except Pac Salts and Salts (Delica size). They serve me very well… when I need more knife than that, I go to a fixed blade.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:44 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

Might help to have a look at the whole Salt line (= completely (or as completely as possible) rustproof Spydies) - I think (did not check thouh) all models should be listed and to be seen HERE (from the Spyderco online catalogue)

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/salt-series

When it comes to the Seki Salts, with most models one can decide (or get both versions..;) ) between LC 200N steel and H2 steel (DFly only in H2 though).
This not only means different properties concerning the steels themselves, but to me more importantly:

- LC 200N means full flat grind and tapered blade - so imo slicier especially when it comes to cutting matter with larger diameter and pointier, but also more fragile tip

- H2 (H1) means hollow sabre grind: In my experience this grind bites nicely into wood and cuts great until the "shoulders" of the sabre portion hit the matter that gets cut. So not 100% for some food prep tasks or the like.
And: No tapering - strong, but a bit less pointy tip.

- H2 (H1) is said to have amazing properties in SE :With "teeth" very good edge retention due to some work hardening process.
From my own experience I´d say this is true (that said: I have zero experience with H1 / H2 in plain edge!)

- To be complete: The (Golden made) Native Salt can be had in both LC200N and Magnacut (though they are pretty hard to find as far as I read). Not in H1/H2 though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

^ good summary, Wartstein.

The saber ground H1/H2 Pacific Salts have very robust tips and the steel is a bit tougher, so they can handle some light prying, chopping away briars, puncturing open tins of food etc. with ease. Very versatile.

The LC200N versions are lighter with full flat ground blades that will slice through certain materials more easily. Better as a folding food prep knife, ultra light hiking knife, cardboard slayer etc.

Can't go wrong with either. I have a slight preference for the H series versions but I love my LC200N versions as well. I have multiples in both steels.
ImHereForTheMilitary2

Thank you both for the great tips. what is the difference between h1 and h2? From everything I heard so far I am definitely going with a full serrated h1 salt likely pacific
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:58 am
Thank you both for the great tips. what is the difference between h1 and h2? From everything I heard so far I am definitely going with a full serrated h1 salt likely pacific
Their chemical composition is a bit different. In terms of real world differences H2 hasn't been out long enough for people to notice much difference.
tangent

Post by tangent »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 6:45 am
Can't go wrong with either. I have a slight preference for the H series versions but I love my LC200N versions as well. I have multiples in both steels.
Yeah, I agree… and I too have multiples in both steels (no H2 yet though). But my H1 Salts are all serrated. Had a plain edge H1 a long time ago and didn’t care much for its lack of edge retention. However, I have seen vivi’s method of sharpening (coarse, steep edge) and would love to try this someday. I guess I just really like the FFG. That said, one can’t go wrong with a Pac Salt in either steel or edge.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

some states, or even cities or workplaces, have blade length restrictions. i lived in a state with no blade length limits, but my workplace had a restriction on knives over 2.5". it was the worst, but i carried a se df2 salt. i was glad the spyderco offers a wide range of salts.

with no restrictions, i think the longer blade is better and carry the pacific salt. i like the longer blade because it means more teeth and better cutting power. if i have to cut a seatbelt in an emergency, i don't want it to take more than one pull.

if spyderco ever releases a stretch 2 xl salt (especially in h2 with a hollow grind and serrations), which seems inevitable given the linerless design, it might be the only knife capable of dethroning my pac salt. the caribbean came close because i love how robust it is, but with the heavier duty construction comes less comfortable bulk.

if you are looking for a knife to augment the military 2 (or para 2), i can't think of anything better than a h1 or h2 se pacific salt. sounds like that's the direction you're headed anyway, but it's the most different from the other knife you'd be carrying and i think you'd find the extra utility of that more diverse selection to be beneficial.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Pick what is legal in your area , use it , and don’t worry about the little things . You will not regret it and bet you will buy another . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau