Considering collecting M.Strider knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
American1776

Considering collecting M.Strider knives

Post by American1776 »

I've been knife (and gun) collecting for a long time. My favorite handguns are HK's, Colts, and Berettas. As knives go, I like Spydercos, Benchmades, and Cold Steel.

I've ordered a Strider SnG (New from an ebay seller specializing in high ends). I'm thinking of getting an SMF performance with full titanium.

Does anyone collect these? Any experience with the newer ones, like the ones I mentioned? Are they worth the high price tag?

Thanks.
Manixguy@1994

Re: Considering collecting M.Strider knives

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

American1776 wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:06 pm
I've been knife (and gun) collecting for a long time. My favorite handguns are HK's, Colts, and Berettas. As knives go, I like Spydercos, Benchmades, and Cold Steel.

I've ordered a Strider SnG (New from an ebay seller specializing in high ends). I'm thinking of getting an SMF performance with full titanium.

Does anyone collect these? Any experience with the newer ones, like the ones I mentioned? Are they worth the high price tag?

Thanks.
I’ve only handled a lefty years ago . They dropped making them so not much interest for me . It was very well made . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It's a tank of a knife. I've got a frag pattern Monkey Edge exclusive with the flame striped Ti lockside and black 3V blade. It's really nice. Is it worth what I paid? Probably not. I have it to have it. Wanted to see what the fuss was about. The price tag is the only thing wrong with them really, unless you want to get into the weeds of 'tough' vs 'thin and slicey'. These are tough, not thin and slicey.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:33 pm
American1776 wrote:

Thanks.
I’ve only handled a lefty years ago . They dropped making them so not much interest for me . It was very well made . MG2
Wish they'd go back making lefties. CRK has been making lefties for years now, and in the past 2 years Hinderer has started making lefty XM-18s and Eklipses. Only need a Strider to complete the so-called "Trinity", or maybe just to try one.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:41 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
American1776 wrote:

Thanks.
Wish they'd go back making lefties. CRK has been making lefties for years now, and in the past 2 years Hinderer has started making lefty XM-18s and Eklipses. Only need a Strider to complete the so-called "Trinity", or maybe just to try one.
I have had a CRK 21 for many years , great knife . Seems like when I have funds a Hinderer alway is OS . Maybe someday . Dan
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:15 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:41 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
American1776 wrote:

Thanks.
I have had a CRK 21 for many years , great knife . Seems like when I have funds a Hinderer alway is OS . Maybe someday . Dan

Hinderer only sold lefties on their site, and all 3 times they dropped (twice for XM-18s and once only so far for the Eklipse) they sold out within hours to 3 days longest. Been blessed to have gotten both knives. They're really very nice overbuilt knives, and part of the reason I want to get a lefty Strider, to compare both.

I believe there will be more lefty Hinderer drops in the future, just be patient and look out for drop notifications, usually on their official Instagram page
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you for info ! Dan
Henry David Thoreau
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

American1776 wrote:

Thanks.
Check out the Pro-tech / Strider collaborations, they look pretty awesome but they’re kind of hard to find.

http://www.protechknives.com/product/24 ... rider-sng/
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I bought a SMF in CTS-PD#1 ( Cruwear made by Carpenter ) some years ago and never carried it or cut anything. It's still in the plastic baggie it came in.

It's built very well and I have no issues with it other than it being too heavy and thick for me. The Endura is as thick a folder as I will carry and the same for weight. I sure wanted it when I bought it new from Arizona custom knives but when it came down to it I didn't want to mess it up by thinning the blade down to what I am used to.

Spyderco has spoiled me when it comes to cutting and slicing.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I always thought the Spyderco Superleaf looked a bit like a Strider.
I think it would have been great with thick liners like the Subvert.
Maybe not that thick.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wasn't the Shaman Sal's answer to Strider?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Strider is quite the hot topic on other forums with the whole stolen valor issue, a lot of people upset about it so might be able to find some for less on the secondary.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's mostly the same guys that bring that up over and over. They have been for years. I'm a vet and don't really approve of the whole stolen valor thing but neither am I going to try to sway others into not buying. If someone wants a Strider that is their business not mine. They build, or used to build decent quality knives and that is what matters.

The same thing happens when they bring up Bark River knives. There are several guys who have to lecture everyone about their opinion of Mike Stewarts ethics. If you go back 6 or 7 years you will see the same guys doing the same thing over and over.
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

GT99 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:25 pm
Strider is quite the hot topic on other forums with the whole stolen valor issue, a lot of people upset about it so might be able to find some for less on the secondary.
How hot a topic can it be when it's the "debate" has been going on since at least 2005? :yawn