*Spydie Summer Sale 2023*

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: *Spydie Summer Sale 2023*

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow I’d have snagged one too if I’d seen that! It’s an intriguing little knife but normally it loses out to designs I think are tougher or rust proof.
TomH

Post by TomH »

I picked up a Canis and Lil Temperance 3 SE.

Thank you to Buddafucco, RamZar, and JRinFL for pointing out the sale at KSF.
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Received my new Sharpmaker and Para3 LW yesterday.

You guys were right about the Para3 LW. It's a comfortable edc.
jdw

Post by jdw »

TomH wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 6:40 pm
I picked up a Canis and Lil Temperance 3 SE.

Thank you to Buddafucco, RamZar, and JRinFL for pointing out the sale at KSF.

Yes! Thank you all. I saw the post early and scored before KSF adjusted their prices up. I had to blink a couple of times to make sure that I was seeing them right. Thanks again!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
JRhode

Post by JRhode »

Received my Itamae Bunka from Cutlery Shoppe and it’s a perfect specimen. Perfectly balanced and insanely slicey/thin. $178, no tax and free shipping.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

JRhode wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:49 pm
Received my Itamae Bunka from Cutlery Shoppe and it’s a perfect specimen. Perfectly balanced and insanely slicey/thin. $178, no tax and free shipping.
I received my Itamae (is that also plural? :thinking ) Friday, also from Cutlery Shoppe - fast as shipping gets, and they even included three Tootsie Pops. I consider this to be the best Spyderco purchase I've ever made.
vivi

Post by vivi »

You two are in for a treat. The geometry of that model is exceptional. If you haven't used a knife like that before it'll change your perception of how thin knives should be ground.
:unicorn
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:55 pm
You two are in for a treat. The geometry of that model is exceptional. If you haven't used a knife like that before it'll change your perception of how thin knives should be ground.
They are amazing. Knowing Spyderco, I wasn't nervous at all about the purchase, but they were even better than expected. The only high-quality kitchen knives I have owned are a couple of Shun Santokus. They are great, but I like these better. I just ordered the 6.5" serrated kitchen knife to complete my cutting needs :smiling-heart-eyes
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Just received my Stretch 2 XL, got a really good one, bevels on both are extremely even. The backspacer and liners are completely flush and smooth open and closed. This is the PM2 I always wanted, less boxy and a bit thinner. It's also the military I always wanted, with less handle that sticks out on the butt end because of that lanyard hole. Really happy with it.

Also got a Sun and Moon Chaparral and not that happy with it, there's an outright huge scratch on the blade right above the steel designation and name, and there's two grindlines on the knife that are so prominent they also look like scratches. Probably the worst Taiwan made Spyderco I've ever gotten, the rest of them have been perfect.

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Still waiting for a couple of Native 5 SE Magnacuts I ordered from REC on the 12th - I mentioned to them today that USPS 'Ground Advantage' has left my knives out in the ether with no estimated arrival date. I got a wise-guy response. I know they're typically good, but pretty much all sellers are good. Shipping speed and customer service are the only things I've found to differentiate knife vendors.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

HolySteel wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:19 pm
Still waiting for a couple of Native 5 SE Magnacuts I ordered from REC on the 12th - I mentioned to them today that USPS 'Ground Advantage' has left my knives out in the ether with no estimated arrival date. I got a wise-guy response. I know they're typically good, but pretty much all sellers are good. Shipping speed and customer service are the only things I've found to differentiate knife vendors.

The USPS's new "Ground Advantage" is just that...the advantage to the USPS is that your package is somewhere out there, lying on the ground. Best of luck and hope it shows up soon.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:27 pm
The USPS's new "Ground Advantage" is just that...the advantage to the USPS is that your package is somewhere out there, lying on the ground. Best of luck and hope it shows up soon.
I don't get USPS's current product line-up, but I know from their history that you can't assume they are making sound decisions.