Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Military 2 Discussion (Merged)

Post by Wartstein »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:21 am
Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:48 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:53 pm
Manifestgtr wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:34 pm
Overall, great early impressions. Hoping to see this in 52100 or cruwear in the future 👍
Anyone who already has a "2" can talk about its liner-situation?

Full nested liners, a la PM2.

Thanks! :smlling-eyes

Any idea how they managed to make the Millie 2 with this full nested liners even a hair lighter than the Millie 1 with its just partial liners? (4.3 vs 4.5 oz, according to Spydercos own specs)

Perhaps by utilizing pretty substantial skeletonizing indeed?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:45 am
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

Any idea how they managed to make the Millie 2 with this full nested liners even a hair lighter than the Millie 1 with its just partial liners? (4.3 vs 4.5 oz, according to Spydercos own specs)

I wondered about that, myself. Do you think that the lock has anything to do with it? Since a liner lock requires a lot of metal on one side to form the bar, and I seem to remember it being less on the Comp Lock. But I can be wrong and probably am.
https://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/ ... echanisms/
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I don't think it is the lock to credit for the weight loss directly. I held a M2 at Blade Show this year and forgot to look at how skelonitezed they went with the liners, but that would be my guess. Similar to a standard Manix 2 with full non-skelonitized liners and some of the exclusives with full but heavily skelonitized liners. May be similar amounts of steel while loosing some G10 volume.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

I wondered about that, myself. Do you think that the lock has anything to do with it? Since a liner lock requires a lot of metal on one side to form the bar, and I seem to remember it being less on the Comp Lock. But I can be wrong and probably am.

I don´t think the lock type has much to do with it...

Not that much metal going on on the inside of the Millie 1 - see pic below (Not my pic, but from THIS thread/post by Capt'n Boatsalot viewtopic.php?t=65839#p981145

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Someone said somewhere that they think of the Millie as the PM2, but more functional. I disagreed with that (silently, I hope?), but now that I've had the Millie 2 in hand for a few days, I'm beginning to agree with whoever made that statement. I added a deep carry clip, tip-up, and it's no big deal in my pocket. I'm loving that extra 1/2". The PM2 is still my most functional knife, but the Millie 2 will get playing time for sure. In fact, I'm about to go buy a fat eggplant just so I can chop something with it.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:23 am
Can anyone post a picture of just how skelonitized the liners are? Just a peak under the hood please. From one model to the next the cutouts in the liners seem to have different patterns. Just curious how far they went with the M2.

I'll see what I can do when I get home for the day.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Wartstein wrote:
weeping minora wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

You're welcome!

I think at least a part of the weight reduction can be attributed to the refinement of the handle. I can't recall if the blade itself has taken such refinement like the handle, as I no longer own an OG Millie, but the handle is surely not as bulky as the OG.
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I don’t have one yet, but my observations are that the knife handle has been slimmed slightly in some parts of the profile (choil and posterior swell/“pommel”, at least), utilizes a smaller pocket clip, full skeletonized liners changes the g10/steel ratio, and the compression lock requires a different blade tang shape.
Regarding that last point, the lock face is located in a significant cut out on the tang to accept the lock bar and make room for the stop pin. Relative to the Linerlock design, this removes a good bit of the tang which is a pretty thick stick of steel for the Millie making up a lot of the knife’s mass.

I think these changes make it so that the Military 2 is approximately the same weight as the Military Model. Some of these probably balance each other out and keep it from ending up significantly heavier or lighter than the original. For example, I think the liners might make it heavier, but the different tang for the compression lock, smaller pocket clip, etc. might balance things out.
I think part of the goal was probably to keep the Military 2 mostly familiar in hand and weight has a lot to do with that.

That’s just how I see things right now. Maybe these things were advantageous side effects rather than conscious aspects of the design.
I think it could be that a good design has good side effects, so it’s cool either way.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
tomsch1963

Post by tomsch1963 »

I have an original military in S110V that I use just to test out the steel. Good knife but the liner lock is too cumbersome after using my PM2 on a regular carry. I have a Military 2 on the way tomorrow so I'll weigh it and compare to my original. I fee like it will be a wash. Overall it will be interesting to see if Spyderco keeps the original in production for some time.

BTW, I already have a deep carry Ti clip ready for when the M2 shows up :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:21 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:06 am
Wartstein wrote:
weeping minora wrote:

I don´t think the lock type has much to do with it...

Not that much metal going on on the inside of the Millie 1 - see pic below (Not my pic, but from THIS thread/post by Capt'n Boatsalot viewtopic.php?t=65839#p981145

That big slab of metal for the lock bar was to what I was referring. The lock bar for the CL is a lot smaller. Plus, the way the tang of the blade is milled out for the lock bar on the CL would likely make a difference. It wouldn't take much metal disappearing to drop the weight that small amount. I don't really know. I'm just guessing.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
toomanypm2s

Post by toomanypm2s »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:23 am
Can anyone post a picture of just how skelonitized the liners are? Just a peak under the hood please. From one model to the next the cutouts in the liners seem to have different patterns. Just curious how far they went with the M2.

Millie 2 disassembled
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

toomanypm2s wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:18 am
Awesome! Thank you!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Military2 CPM-S30V Satin Blade PlainEdge Black G-10 C36GP2 (USA):

Spyderco.com... https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... ade-2/2385

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
toomanypm2s

Post by toomanypm2s »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:44 am

Awesome! Thank you!
You’re welcome
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

toomanypm2s wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:59 am
JSumm wrote:

Awesome! Thank you!
You’re welcome
What Jeff said.

I’ve seen enough. Just ordered one.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:42 pm
toomanypm2s wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:59 am
JSumm wrote:

Awesome! Thank you!
You’re welcome
What Jeff said.

Same here. Didn't get cart sniped this time. Thanks!
toomanypm2s

Post by toomanypm2s »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:42 pm
What Jeff said.

:clapping-hands :clapping-hands :clapping-hands
Enjoy. Well worth it in my opinion
toomanypm2s

Post by toomanypm2s »

olditguy wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 12:55 pm

Same here. Didn't get cart sniped this time. Thanks!
:clapping-hands :clapping-hands :clapping-hands
Enjoy!
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Perhaps this has been discussed earlier in this thread, apologies if so. Will Spyderco eventually release previous sprints (like REX 45) for the Military 2? I think probably not, but I could see demand for this. I'm sure BHQ will get around to ordering some jade G10 and M4 variants in the future.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 2:46 pm
Perhaps this has been discussed earlier in this thread, apologies if so. Will Spyderco eventually release previous sprints (like REX 45) for the Military 2? I think probably not, but I could see demand for this. I'm sure BHQ will get around to ordering some jade G10 and M4 variants in the future.
Eric has said the Military2 will have other steels. I imagine the steels will include premier ones, given the costly play to modernize the Military Model. But, just my 2 cents.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”