Your running knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Optimus Cultro

Re: Your running knife?

Post by Optimus Cultro »

Spyderco ARK. I find the little neck knife less obtrusive when running than an iwb knife. I had another stainless steel knife that was still getting some corrosion from running duty. There is no issue with the H1 ARK. I can just wear it shower after and it’s all cleaned off too. By far my favorite neck knife. I really regret not getting a serrated version before they were discontinued.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Optimus Cultro:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:42 pm
If I had a choice I would be carrying a KelTec P3AT, or a scandium S&W J-Frame. If I have to use a knife, something got too close.
For a running knife? where the primary use, by the vast majority, is likely to be some trail / sidewalk clearing of vines, saplings, etc... While I'm sure it either could be pressed into service for such tasks...

Or is your answer due to, and/or more pertaining to the slight drift this tread has taken regarding potential animal attack?

u.w.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I usually carry my Emerson mini cqc-15. Got a wave, a combo edge (and the serrated portion is concave like a hawkbill), and a tanto point. It's built tough and I keep it sharp. It's up for anything. It coated and I've never had corrosion issues with it. Only minus is the liner lock. My shower knife is a Tasman😁
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don't run anymore, and haven't since sometime in early 2K. But when I used to go running, I often carried a Delica (old style, with integral FRN clip) in my hand. The Delica was small enough to be hidden in my closed hand. I wasn't really carrying it for self-defense; I simply liked having a knife on me at all times, and it felt better in hand than clipped to my waistband, or in my pocket, while running.

Jim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Around here we have a lot of feral dogs and other wild animals. I love carrying a Delica as it is one of my favorite knives, but I have to think about the dog problem. Sometimes I carry an ASP baton, as well.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:47 am
Around here we have a lot of feral dogs and other wild animals. I love carrying a Delica as it is one of my favorite knives, but I have to think about the dog problem. Sometimes I carry an ASP baton, as well.

Although I don't run anymore, I've always walked a lot, and still do. If we're discussing potential self-defense (against humans, dogs, etc.), I always carry a 51" straight, rustic, hickory walking stick on my walks. I don't need it as a walking aid, I simply carry it in my hand. I do know how to use it; nothing fancy, just simple and practical. I actually trust that against a dog or dogs more than a knife. The walking stick has far greater reach, but can also be used in close quarters, and can be maneuvered very quickly (especially necessary when dealing with dogs), if you know how. I've kept 2 to 3 aggressive dogs at bay with it one time; and another time, I had to whack a good-sized aggressive dog on the head/muzzle with it.

As far as ASP batons, IIRC, they are illegal where I live, and some other places in the States, unless you're a LEO.

Back to knives: Since I'm walking, not running, I carry whatever. Nowadays, most of the time it ends up being a PM2, a Para 3, a Manix 2, a Pac Salt, or occasionally a Military.

I apologize to OP if my post has taken this discussion too far off-topic.

Jim
Matus

Post by Matus »

Some very interesting responses. I am happy to say that I do not have a need for a knife when I go for my (short and painfully slow) runs, but I guess I should start to carry something as a proper enthusiast :) I used to have an Ark SE and never used it as I did not have any 'use case', so I sold it. Now I really regret it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
tangent

Post by tangent »

Pac Salt 2 with modified (pointier) tip in plain edge. But this is back-up… for my walks outdoors, some kind of stick or pvc pipe is far better if you have to defend yourself against a dog. Just my opinion.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

tangent wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:11 pm
Pac Salt 2 with modified (pointier) tip in plain edge. But this is back-up… for my walks outdoors, some kind of stick or pvc pipe is far better if you have to defend yourself against a dog. Just my opinion.
Unless they are illegal. Here, they usually are considered illegal. Even a stick in a car or a steering wheel lock can land you in jail, over here. Only the uber rich, who pay all the bribes own guns. Even a spent case will get you serious jail time. Left overs from the British days.

As for knives, I just need something large enough for most tasks and light enough not to pull down my shorts. I sort of settled on a Manix 2 LW or a Delica, depending on my shorts and where I'm walking. I wish I could get away with a Manbug, but that's just not practical. I do carry a Manbug a lot when just out and about, like going to the mall or something to walk. Malls are great to walk in because there are no cobras or wild dogs or robbers, and it is air conditioned.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Very secure clip, strong closed bias (so it doesn’t open up accidentally), Salt (H1, H2, LC200N, MagnaCut) variant, as light as possible (FRN lightweight) and as long a blade length as you’re comfortable with.

With shorts in sweaty Summers I go with DragonFly H-1 SpyderEdge weighing just a little over an ounce for a 2.25” blade.

Last edited by RamZar on Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

all this talk of self defense while running reminds me of an ask i've made several times. we need a salt version of the black matriarch 2 with a wave. when you are winded, you need a knife that will deploy quickly and take less dexterity and skill to cause damage. that knife was conceptualized for people that had little training to defend themselves effectively. it would make a really great running self defense knife for anyone concerned about that.

spyderco, please make us a salty mother!
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Discovered how important light weight is. Decided to run with my new Goddard LW at 2.9 oz. When I returned home, it had pulled down my elastic-waist jogging shorts by 2". I don't recall that ever happening with the 1.9 oz Caly Jr. Either I need to jog with light knives, or else buy tighter jogging shorts!

Or eat more ice cream, obviously. That would tighten up my shorts.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:29 pm
Discovered how important light weight is. Decided to run with my new Goddard LW at 2.9 oz. When I returned home, it had pulled down my elastic-waist jogging shorts by 2". I don't recall that ever happening with the 1.9 oz Caly Jr. Either I need to jog with light knives, or else buy tighter jogging shorts!

Perhaps, if you then choose the "short (pulled) over belly"-method - not so much true for the "belly (hangs) over short" approach ;)

/ Kidding aside: Did you carry your Goddard in a pocket or iwb?

(Wearing) running shorts (when actually running) is one of the few scenarios where I switch to iwb carry, even when the shorts should have pockets.

- iwb stops almost any motion / momentum of the knife, that could aid in dragging down the short (and in light garment pockets the knife gets "floppier" and more prone to move in the first place)
- iwb adds some friction due to the show side of the knife resting against the skin or underpants.
- though I generally find iwb a bit awkward and impractical (especially when the shirt is worn untucked), in running this does not matter much, since this is a scenario where I don´t use my knife frequently or actually most times not at all anyway.

Actually, I´ve probably carried any Spyderco I own(ed) iwb when running at some point, even the for my taste really heavy stainless steel Endura (5.6 oz, but otherwise a superthin and smooth against the skin carry).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
Or get shorts with suspenders.
Both options should give you a charming appearance that I'll expect would have some innate decriminalizing properties.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:55 am
all this talk of self defense while running reminds me of an ask i've made several times. we need a salt version of the black matriarch 2 with a wave. when you are winded, you need a knife that will deploy quickly and take less dexterity and skill to cause damage. that knife was conceptualized for people that had little training to defend themselves effectively. it would make a really great running self defense knife for anyone concerned about that.

spyderco, please make us a salty mother!
I had some intentions on making a dedicated thread about this at some point, and that would probably have been the better approach, but I'll ask here anyways.
I'm not trained in any type of self defense and SD is never a consideration when planning for any activity. Yet I did get myself a Matriarch 2 just to have as a show piece. It's the first time I've ever put my hands on reverse-S blade, and it got me thinking.
As you point out, in line with everything I've read up until now, these reverse S blades are supposedly useful for people with little training, and I wonder how that can be?
Beyond the mean looks, that might cause some potential perpetrators to think twice, it doesn't stand out as an obvious choice for an untrained person like myself.
What I see, through the lens of my untrained eye, is a knife only good for slashing motions, with a blade shape that would transfer very much energy into the opponent in the event that you get a good hit. This is obviously great from the primary perspective of hurting/fending off your opponent, but on the flip side, all this sudden buildup of energy will try to rip the knife out of your hand. Given that an untrained person might not have the greatest grip strength to begin with, and that this sudden opposite force may come as somewhat of a surprise, could easily lead to a dropped knife and a very bad turn of events.
I may be totally wrong about this, but in my view a design that's not constrained to just one mode of attack, with a blade shape (and maybe even edge type) that's more forgiving with regards to snagging, would intuitively be better suited for a beginner/untrained person. Again, just my intuition, no experience to lean on.
Matus

Post by Matus »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:38 am
Bolster wrote:
Both options should give you a charming appearance that I'll expect would have some innate decriminalizing properties.
Suspenders, knife and little too much lipstick - that would be the ultimate package :squinting-tongue
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

When you can run because of bad knee, feet, and ankles, you better have self defense plan. As 911 is slow to provide service.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:38 am
Bolster wrote:
Lederhosen come to mind, but I imagine they would chafe something awful :zany
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Bolster wrote:
tighter jogging shorts!

True, but then you're more likely to print.
Have you had your court date yet, after that little altercation with the sheriff?

7d88b57034dee2782818f13a45e51c60--nick-swardson-reno-.jpg