St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by Ramonade »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:15 am
Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:22 am
Giygas wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:43 pm
...I also can't help but think a lot of modern collectors basically see a Buck 110 when they look at it.

You're certainly correct for my point of view. It looks very Buck-110ish to my eye, definitely retro. That's one reason I purchased this Goddard. Other reasons are:

- Want to try more neutral handles;
- Like slim designs for carryability (is that a word?);
- Appears to have a reasonably tight radius under the index finger for a good fit (not a fan of large radius designs);
- Want to see how choking up without a choil works (and the Goddard looks good for that);
- the Goddard has good ratios for a lightweight nut...a lot of blade and edge for its weight. It's not a weight ratio champ like a UK Pen, but it's very good.
- Don't have any 4V, want to give it a try.
- The red/black color scheme is easy on the eye. Would I prefer a naked blade? Yes, but the black is attractive.
I see what you’re trying to do here, but my mind is made up and it’s not going to change

…likely

…at least not yet
I might have one too many when I receive them, in case they're gone (but I'm pretty sure they'll stay available a bit)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Those who have one inbound but haven’t handled the model before, it has a weird blade to handle ratio that bothered me when the OD green came out but doesn’t bother me at all now. I actually appreciate the handle as a user now and have let many of my OCD tendencies go, choosing to appreciate models in use before judging.
simyo

Post by simyo »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:07 am
Those who have one inbound but haven’t handled the model before, it has a weird blade to handle ratio that bothered me when the OD green came out but doesn’t bother me at all now. I actually appreciate the handle as a user now and have let many of my OCD tendencies go, choosing to appreciate models in use before judging.
I had the same ratio mindset issue when I got the ats 55 one years ago. I think this originally came out before the mainline gen3 models, so they were still trying to figure out how to accommodate space for the barrel clip compared to the micarta models and still retain the feel, so the handle feels extended a tad. That being said, once it’s in the hand that thought goes away, it’s always fit my hand better than the enduras.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I broke down n got one. I don't have any 4v steel and the model looks good to me i never heard of it until this exclusive. I love 3v so I'm sure I'll like this steel and honest i have no red knives except the kapara but that's a small backspace you don't see much so I'm excited and surprised there still 250 left.
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
Mendozamike89

Post by Mendozamike89 »

I do have a lot of lightweight back locks tho
:bug-white-red Mendozamike89 :bug-red-white
51 spyderco knives in 20 different types of steels.

My Top 3 EDC
-1- Smock s30v with black RGT micarta and lynch clip. With Skipp 3/16"1/16"11 ball bearings.

-2- Sage 5 lw (bladehq exclusive) with black m4 steel rit dyed dark green & black lynch clip to match

-3- Shaman with cruwear dlc (knife joker exclusive) with gray micarta RGT scales and long gray lynch clip.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

simyo wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:41 am
twinboysdad wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 9:07 am
I had the same ratio mindset issue when I got the ats 55 one years ago. I think this originally came out before the mainline gen3 models, so they were still trying to figure out how to accommodate space for the barrel clip compared to the micarta models and still retain the feel, so the handle feels extended a tad. That being said, once it’s in the hand that thought goes away, it’s always fit my hand better than the enduras.

Interesting observation. In photos the Goddard looks like it has handle gigantism, but the blade size ratio on the Goddard is actually pretty good, especially the edge:closed ratio, which is .67 (where an amazingly good ratio like a Pac Salt or Nat Chief is .69-.71). I wonder if the visual ratio is affected by the blade not being very tall? Maybe we're kinda used to big, tall Manix-style leaf shaped blades.

I am hoping this is a slender-in-the-pocket knife...can't wait!!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:21 am
aicolainen wrote:
...I see what you’re trying to do here...

Am I that transparent?
I know you too well. This is the Caly brainwashing story all over again ;)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:25 am
aicolainen wrote:
Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:22 am
Giygas wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:43 pm
...I also can't help but think a lot of modern collectors basically see a Buck 110 when they look at it.

You're certainly correct for my point of view. It looks very Buck-110ish to my eye, definitely retro. That's one reason I purchased this Goddard. Other reasons are:

- Want to try more neutral handles;
- Like slim designs for carryability (is that a word?);
- Appears to have a reasonably tight radius under the index finger for a good fit (not a fan of large radius designs);
- Want to see how choking up without a choil works (and the Goddard looks good for that);
- the Goddard has good ratios for a lightweight nut...a lot of blade and edge for its weight. It's not a weight ratio champ like a UK Pen, but it's very good.
- Don't have any 4V, want to give it a try.
- The red/black color scheme is easy on the eye. Would I prefer a naked blade? Yes, but the black is attractive.
I see what you’re trying to do here, but my mind is made up and it’s not going to change

…likely

…at least not yet
I might have one too many when I receive them, in case they're gone (but I'm pretty sure they'll stay available a bit)
I’ll do my best to ride this one off, but if you get stuck with more than you need, you can always shoot me a PM and put my determination to the test :)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Mine is scheduled to be delivered today so I assume several others will be getting theirs. We'll see how everyone's will power is after all the posts/pictures of this knife in hand start popping up. I have to say I'm amazed at the shipping speed. Literally across the country over the weekend with free shipping.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Mine is out for delivery today as well. I wouldn't be surprised if these aren't gone after today as soon as some pics in the wild and reviews start coming in. I haven't owned a Goddard in several years and I am looking forward to giving it a try in 4V. It may become my go to campsite knife. Slightly off topic, but that is really incredible shipping time for USPS to get it from AL to ID over the weekend. Living in the middle of the country I seem to receive packages much faster coming from the Eastern part of the US as opposed to the West. Most places are roughly equidistant so I always kind of wondered why? Rhetorical question BTW. CONGRATS to everyone getting their Goddards today and I also have a Subvert to piggy back its way in. It's a great knife day!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Even after all the comparison pics SNK posted, I'm still really surprised how big this knife is:

Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Giygas wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:24 am
Even after all the comparison pics SNK posted, I'm still really surprised how big this knife is:

Oh no - not another "Post your Subvert and Goddard" thread!

z1r

Post by z1r »

Bemo wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:36 am
Mine is scheduled to be delivered today so I assume several others will be getting theirs. We'll see how everyone's will power is after all the posts/pictures of this knife in hand start popping up. I have to say I'm amazed at the shipping speed. Literally across the country over the weekend with free shipping.
Lucky you, mine still says: "Your shipment was received at 4:49 pm on June 30, 2023 in ATHENS, AL 35611. The acceptance of your package is pending."

I Ordered at Noon, CST. But with USPS, it could show up today, you never know. Definitely looking forward to it.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Mine said the same, then updated when it got to my location distribution center at the normal time.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
18 Spydies, 15 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Giygas wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:24 am

Wow. The Goddard *is* larger than I’d imagined.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Giygas wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:22 am
Mine said the same, then updated when it got to my location distribution center at the normal time.
Same here. Currently "out for delivery."
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Should be here in France the 6th of July !
Not so long ago, it would've been the 6th of August :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
z1r

Post by z1r »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:40 am
Wow, you might get yours sooner than I get mine! Lol.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:40 am
Only one later than me. I think we are still dealing with the lack of truck drivers here in the US. Delayed & rescheduled is pretty common for my orders these days.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
mmadison

Post by mmadison »

I may buy two more of these. Wow. So thin. So light. I have no salt knifes yet, but the first thing I thought was to carry this in light shorts. 4V may dissuade that, but at $125, who knows.

Well done, Spyderco / St. Knicks.