Sage 5 LW edge question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

Sage 5 LW edge question

Post by gull wing »

The S5LW was my first Sage W/ compression lock, of course I like all compression locks. Compression locks are easy to use with my old hands.
Question is.....Can I take the factory edge a bit thinner? The factory was great and I use the Sharpmaker and strop.
Now I don't want to take so thin the edge will break off.
Note! I have diamonds. Help please.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Bolster

Re: Sage 5 LW edge question

Post by Bolster »

Are you looking for a thinner Behind-The-Edge measurement? If so, the at-home method is to lay the blade flat on a flat benchstone or flat sandpaper and reduce the actual width of the blade. This will take you forever and a day, and uglify your knife, which is why most people send the knife off to a regrinder to thin with a belt grinder--if they want an overall thinner blade.

The "cheater" method is to give the knife a steep back-bevel, say 10-12 degrees, then put the edge bevel on at a more obtuse angle, perhaps 15 degrees. That will have a sorta-kinda effect of a thinner BTE without all the work or expense.

Does this answer the question? Or did I misunderstand the question?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

If you have a Sharpmaker, you can look into 3D printing a device to hold the rods at different angles.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4755125
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

p_atrick wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 11:44 am
If you have a Sharpmaker, you can look into 3D printing a device to hold the rods at different angles.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4755125
I did not know you are Leading Edge! :clapping-hands <polite applause from the gallery>

I think I read more into your post than I should have.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I think he was asking if he can thin the edge without risking breakage. The answer has to be yes. It seems many forum members do it.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:12 pm
I think I read more into your post than I should have.
Definitely not leading edge. Just trying to think of some ways to get thinner edges with the SM. That device I linked to looked pretty useful. Never tried it myself.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

cabfrank wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 12:39 pm
I think he was asking if he can thin the edge without risking breakage. The answer has to be yes. It seems many forum members do it.
"answer has to be yes."
Crank out my *old Edge Pro, diamond cutters and set the angle 18 deg.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There is probably a lot of info about thinner edges here on the forum. I would search a little first. I know it happens often, but I've only read about it, not done it.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Usage will make a difference of course. I like what Murray Carter said in one of his videos which paraphrased was try it. If it's too thin and chips out, change it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

absolutely, i thin out the edges of all my knives.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

vivi wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:48 pm
absolutely, i thin out the edges of all my knives.
Yeah I wouldn't see why the Sage 5 (S30V?) would be different than any other Sage with S30V. I'm not sure if I've reprofiled my Sage 5 CF but I have done my Sage 1 and Sage 2. No issues

And this thread reminded me about my Sage 5 M4. That's now in my pocket. Maybe for the rest of the week. We'll see
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

The factory edges on both of my Sage 5s were pretty close to 17-18*. Maybe try closer to 15* and see how it holds up to your personal use.
Scandi Grind

Post by Scandi Grind »

Increasing the edge angle is the simplest method, the next simplest would be a back bevel. I have only ever done a back bevel on a kitchen knife before but it seems to be working quite well.

As far as whether your knife can handle a thinner edge, I would suspect that it can, but how much will be determined by your use. If you cut lots of harder material while twisting the edge in use, then it might not be a good idea to thin it too much, but if you tend to slice and cut things in a normal "knife-like" fashion, then you should be able to go much thinner without trouble.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb