15V Shaman!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
laudbrian

Re: 15V Shaman!

Post by laudbrian »

New here so wasn't sure if For Sale/By Individual alerts can be posted in the Alerts thread as I see mostly just dealers. :bug-red-white 15V Shaman Alert thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=94272&start=100

There is a BNIB for $295 by someone on BladeForums. I was having a hard time finding one a few weeks ago so hopefully this helps someone secure their own with good karma, good luck all: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/spy ... 5.1926544/
Last edited by laudbrian on Sun Apr 23, 2023 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

Mine came today. Fit and finish is superb. Very sharp and the action is nice smooth. Blade centered perfectly.

I like the blasted finish on the clip. They should do more like this.

Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Just received mine! Really nice. Blade is centered and drops shut. The edge is bitey sharp. Still haven't decided if this is a user yet. I also dig the stone washed clip. Great job Spyderco and thanks for taking this old blade slaves money once again 👍
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

I love Shamans. This 15V one is a perfect specimen. But for the life of me, I don't know why they don't put just a little bit of texture on the scales. It would make a fantastic knife even better.
olditguy

Post by olditguy »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:15 pm
I love Shamans. This 15V one is a perfect specimen. But for the life of me, I don't know why they don't put just a little bit of texture on the scales. It would make a fantastic knife even better.
Totally agree.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

olditguy wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:41 pm
Jerome Howard wrote:
Totally agree.
Probably has something to do with the cnc contouring the scales go through. Hard to add texture 'after' that process. G-10 is textured before it's processed into scales. Not sure if it would Be possible to leave a flat spot with texture. Peel ply textured G-10 might cost more too. Which wouldn't make sense if you were grinding off 90% of the texture. Might add cost to a knife people often complain costs more than other models already. I'm sure there are reasons. I for one like the smooth G-10. Easy on the pockets, and it looks and feels good to me. Haven't felt the need for more texture when using it, but I know tastes and uses vary. I've seen people put grip tape on them.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jerome Howard

Post by Jerome Howard »

You can see in this pic that all they needed to do was not sand down the flats so smooth
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Jerome Howard wrote:
A knife is just a canvas to create your own art. Welcome to the world of knife modding
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Working professionals, how will you use this knife/steel combo compared to other Shamans? Anyone going to torture test one? I try to justify each shaman steel I have and other than my love of Spyderco and BBB having a modded and used Rex 45 also, this one is kind of having a 392 Jeep and it’s more impressive to show than the actual use. I dont want to have safe queens but this one tempts me to just carry it for just feeling like I am carrying a bad *** knife. LC200N or Magnacut shaman would be my preferred GADA folders Salt Shaman!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:52 pm
Working professionals, how will you use this knife/steel combo compared to other Shamans? Anyone going to torture test one? I try to justify each shaman steel I have and other than my love of Spyderco and BBB having a modded and used Rex 45 also, this one is kind of having a 392 Jeep and it’s more impressive to show than the actual use. I dont want to have safe queens but this one tempts me to just carry it for just feeling like I am carrying a bad *** knife. LC200N or Magnacut shaman would be my preferred GADA folders Salt Shaman!

I'm using it like anything else I carry. I haven't really done torture tests on plain edge because plenty of people already do that stuff, I've done serrated stuff because so few people do and to try to correct the urban legends surrounding serrations. If I do any torture tests it'll be on a mule.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Fireman wrote:
Working professionals, how will you use this knife/steel combo compared to other Shamans?
Same as I carry all my others. Most interesting part to me is seeing how they hold up to copper. Unfortunately I migrate to more stainless steels in the heat of summer when I sweat a lot at work so this might have to wait until fall to get really tested aside from a few good hot days to evaluate it's rustiness level in my conditions. Magnacut shaman would be amazing for summer heat. Till then I'll be spending more time with my 204p and elmax models...
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Vaugith wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:28 pm
Fireman wrote:
Working professionals, how will you use this knife/steel combo compared to other Shamans?
Same as I carry all my others. Most interesting part to me is seeing how they hold up to copper. Unfortunately I migrate to more stainless steels in the heat of summer when I sweat a lot at work so this might have to wait until fall to get really tested aside from a few good hot days to evaluate it's rustiness level in my conditions. Magnacut shaman would be amazing for summer heat. Till then I'll be spending more time with my 204p and elmax models...
Love the 204P Shaman. The prettiest one I have. I made sure to slather my 15V knives with chapstick which helps a lot and I can use it for the occasional food prep. I would love a Magna Cut or LC200N Shaman for Summer Sweat. I tend to carry inside waistband so I don’t lose them and it’s less eye raising
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jerome Howard wrote:
Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:10 pm
You can see in this pic that all they needed to do was not sand down the flats so smooth

I have a feeling that, like a lot of your posts, you are oversimplifying this. The G10 they use may not even come with a peel ply surface, they may not be intentionally smoothing out anything, it may already be smooth and all they do is contour the edges. I would assume that the least amount of machining they can do would be the more economical option so machining it all smooth is extra work.

Then again, maybe you're right. Could be part of why these knives cost more than a Para 2. Hopefully someday they make one with more texture. I would love to see the whole handle machined with a texture like some old ZT knives had.

The other side is machined the same and it's even titanium. Machined texture is the biggest thing I wish Spyderco would do that other companies do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
G-Primo73

Post by G-Primo73 »

Midway Still has some. I had more than one in my cart...would not let me go further. Just passing it along. :winking-tongue
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

G-Primo73 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:54 pm
Midway Still has some. I had more than one in my cart...would not let me go further. Just passing it along. :winking-tongue
That is strange - I'm also still seeing them as available. Never had any interest in a Shaman, but everyone else's desires have infected me.
irontriangle

Post by irontriangle »

They just released on Blades Canada about 30 minutes ago. I bought one. Looking forward to getting it.
Manix 2 Maxamet LW, Sub-Hilt Vallotton, Hundred Pacer, Yojumbo, Spydiechef, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil Temperance 3, PM2 S110V, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Q-Ball, Schempp Bowie, Smock, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Dogtag Folder, Ladybug Salt, Magnitude S30V, Meerkat Rex-45, Meerkat Aus 6, Squeak
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:11 pm
G-Primo73 wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:54 pm
That is strange - I'm also still seeing them as available. Never had any interest in a Shaman, but everyone else's desires have infected me.
Market has gone really weak on 15v's unless it's a Manix. There are posts on the facebook groups with guys selling them under MAP new and they aren't moving fast. I ended up with 4 from a B&H photo hail mary backorder (mind you the backorder took so long I already had snagged 2 I wanted). I returned all 4 the other day and was happy to do so and get my money back without the hassle of trying to sell/trade them. You'd need to get $300+ just to break even selling them (and that's giving your time away for free) and they just aren't moving for that. PM2 15v's are the same.

Could be the economy, could be the knife secondary market has just gone soft, could be 15v isn't interesting to the masses, but no one seems interested in these even at MAP pricing + sales tax + shipping.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Toddm wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:23 pm
Market has gone really weak on 15v's unless it's a Manix. There are posts on the facebook groups with guys selling them under MAP new and they aren't moving fast. I ended up with 4 from a B&H photo hail mary backorder (mind you the backorder took so long I already had snagged 2 I wanted). I returned all 4 the other day and was happy to do so and get my money back without the hassle of trying to sell/trade them. You'd need to get $300+ just to break even selling them (and that's giving your time away for free) and they just aren't moving for that. PM2 15v's are the same.

Could be the economy, could be the knife secondary market has just gone soft, could be 15v isn't interesting to the masses, but no one seems interested in these even at MAP pricing + sales tax + shipping.
Ebay 'sold items' disagrees.
Danke

Post by Danke »