Opfocus for Europeans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Opfocus for Europeans?

Post by Jim Malone »

Is it possible to apply for the Opfocus program from Europe?

I see that it's for the US and Canadian but it would be wonderfull if we from Europe could also benefit from this program.
I have been using Spyderco knives as a LEO, EMT and Nurse since the1990's.
Buying knives direct at MSRP from Spyderco is just too expensive with my paycheck.
Getting acces to this program would mean a lot to me.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: Opfocus for Europeans?

Post by apollo »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:52 am
Is it possible to apply for the Opfocus program from Europe?

I see that it's for the US and Canadian but it would be wonderfull if we from Europe could also benefit from this program.
I have been using Spyderco knives as a LEO, EMT and Nurse since the1990's.
Buying knives direct at MSRP from Spyderco is just too expensive with my paycheck.
Getting acces to this program would mean a lot to me.
I hope you are able to one day! You have given enough to our country and deserve this honor.
Are you going to the meet? Maybe you ask it there also?
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Yes, normally i'm going to Amsterdam. See you there!
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

hello! I asked about it a long time ago and they said no, but I hope they have changed the policy :)
msum

Post by msum »

I sent an email asking about this for Australia.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I'd totally grant European leos, fire figthers and so on that discount, but:

One problem could lay in the proofing of eligibility:
I figure it would be difficult for Spyderco to verify all the various certificates for op focus eligable professions of quite some European countries - and if they are fake or real (sadly not all people are trustworthy).

- Then, being the integer company Spyderco is: If Europeans can get the OP focus bonus, why not also all the other continents with all their countries- and that would really open a can of worms

- Thirdly: I think it is unterstandable that such a discounr is primarily for personnel based in the country where also the company is located.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Jim:

It's not a matter of policy or choice, it comes down to our ability to verify credentials. Spyderco uses a third-party vendor, ID.me, to verify eligible OpFocus applicants. The reason is that they have access to all the U.S. databases of eligible personnel and have the mechanism to verify credentials efficiently. Unfortunately, they do not have access to similar databases for other countries.

Stay safe,

Mike
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:13 am
Dear Jim:

It's not a matter of policy or choice, it comes down to our ability to verify credentials. Spyderco uses a third-party vendor, ID.me, to verify eligible OpFocus applicants. ...

That's what I guessed and tried to put in proper English in my previous post :grin-sweat

Good to know that Spyderco actually would be willing to expand their Op Focus program, and it is just technical issues that don t let them.
Proof again what a great company they are imo.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I think Wartstein is quite correct in his evaluation. If it was practically achievable, I have no doubt Spyderco would make all first responders eligible to this program, independent of geography.

Another aspect that might contribute to not make this a worthwhile effort, is handling cost. There's probably more work involved for Spyderco to ship abroad, more shipping cost as well as more risk. Add to that the adde import and processing fees most customers would be subject to. All this quickly eats away from the initial saving and might end up being a lot of effort for very little gain.

There's also the fact that first responders to a varying degree has similar deals with local/domestic distributors or retailers. I have bought quite a few knives this way through programs I'm eligible to from my volunteer work as a SAR dog handler (and previously army dog handler). There's obviously an inferior selection of Spyderco models to choose from, compared to the SFO, but aside from us knife nuts, most first responders are pragmatic knife buyers who much prefer the simplicity and predictability of buying locally/domestically.
msum

Post by msum »

Michael Janich wrote:
Dear Jim:

It's not a matter of policy or choice, it comes down to our ability to verify credentials. Spyderco uses a third-party vendor, ID.me, to verify eligible OpFocus applicants. The reason is that they have access to all the U.S. databases of eligible personnel and have the mechanism to verify credentials efficiently. Unfortunately, they do not have access to similar databases for other countries.

Stay safe,

Mike

Thanks Mike!
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

Michael Janich wrote:
Dear Jim:

Stay safe,

Mike
Hi Mike, in the UK we have two services that are checked by the bodies against the government data bases, the process is very secure and kept current. Would be possibly be easy to check for Spyderco? or even only allow member numbers from the sites below:
https://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/index.php (Forces and Former Forces)
https://www.bluelightcard.co.uk/index.php (Forces and Government Services, Police, Medical, Fire etc.)

All the best!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, northern munkey:

Thank you for the information. I'll bring it to the attention of our Sales and Marketing Director and OpFocus program managers for consideration.

Stay safe,

Mike
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I can send you the link with all registered nurses in Belgium (i'm a RN in Belgium) and i can provide photo ID as a Trauma EMT as well. Both governed by Belgian Governement.
It's not that i can't prove that i qualify for the programe.