Respectful feedback and ideas regarding 15V sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: Respectful feedback and ideas regarding 15V sprint runs

Post by steelcity16 »

Meh, it's fine the way it is. Try harder.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:57 am
sal wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:27 pm
We watch that closely. Sometimes it's a problem for some. Solutions can be challenging.

sal
Sal,

Looks like we might need more CPM 15V.

Do some Endelas (and Delica Wharnies). They might not sell out in seconds compared to a Manix/PM2, and it will introduce more people to perhaps the most underrated, underappreciated model in the industry that continues to fly under the radar, my personal favorite model, the Endela!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Senfkarte wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:14 am
Just one more thought on lotteries:
I think a lottery would make it even harder to get the sprint you want. Since it is easier to sign up for a lottery, more people would try to get in. Thus the number of rivals would rise.
I agree.

If I was denied, even, the opportunity to buy a knife that I wanted because I didn’t win a lottery - I don’t think there could be a faster way to turn me away from a brand. I see a sprint run lottery as an effortless participation trophy.
Dnwrghtsr wrote: I do think it’s somewhat cryptic that Sal hasn’t said if Spyderco is going to make any more knives in 15v, or if there are going to be any further collaborations with BBB. I wouldn’t if I were him either. Let the excitement for these sprints do their work.
We already know about the Shaman, Mule, and BBB’s personal design collaboration still coming in “BBB 15V” and judging by the way “BBB 15V” sells, I highly doubt Spyderco would leave that money on the table. I would anticipate more models in “BBB 15V” on top of the three we currently know about.
- Nick :bug-red
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:14 am
I agree.

If I was denied, even, the opportunity to buy a knife that I wanted because I didn’t win a lottery - I don’t think there could be a faster way to turn me away from a brand. I see a sprint run lottery as an effortless participation trophy.
I agree, too.

I'm not saying the current way is the best way to do this, but there sure are worse ways. And I don't know a better way.
Brant

Post by Brant »

What is it that makes some sprint models have such incredible hype while others remain in stock? Does Spyderco have a set production number to all sprints or does this vary?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

The current method of Sprint distribution is fair. There are other fair methods, as well.

Currently, customers who REALLY want the knife will put in the effort and find the knife. The more effort you put in, the higher your probability of success. For those who don't want to invest a couple hours of their valuable time in the hunt, they can always pay an extra forty bucks and get one from a scalper. Two hours? Forty bucks? Is your time worth twenty dollars an hour?

Another sensible way of distributing Sprints would be an auction. Customers who REALLY wanted the knife would pony up the cash. Put your money where your mouth is, or go home empty handed. I can only imagine the gnashing teeth and howls of protest over this fair and equitable system.

Another fair system would be modeled after Spyderco's Seconds Sale. People who want the knife can fly/drive/bicycle to Golden, and then stand out in the snow all night.

How about... a Sprint party with barbecue and beer... and a giant paper mâché Spyder piñata full of knives?

electro-static

Post by electro-static »

Dnwrghtsr wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:23 am
I do think it’s somewhat cryptic that Sal hasn’t said if Spyderco is going to make any more knives in 15v, or if there are going to be any further collaborations with BBB. I wouldn’t if I were him either. Let the excitement for these sprints do their work.
Given the wild popularity of this sprint I would be surprised if there wasn’t more work together in the future, 15V seems to be hitting a sweet spot for many enthusiasts. I am eagerly awaiting the BBB folder colab.
araneae

Post by araneae »

For the people with the time and access, the system is working great. For those who are limited in the amount of time they can spend, usually during the work day, to search for and compete to get these runs, the system is limiting. I'd have liked to give the 15V Manix a whirl, but no such luck. The supply/demand situation is the issue here.

Spyderco has increased Sprint sizes incrementally over the years, but seem to err on the side of conservative, despite many models still selling out in minutes. It is a balancing act, don't want to have inventory languishing on the shelves, but you don't want to have angry customers who keep missing Sprints. It does feel like Spyderco could push the runs up a bit higher and still have fairly swift sell outs for the bread and butter models.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Increasing batch size takes more than it may sound. Remember that many of these runs are years in the making, which ties up production cues and increasing batch size slows down ALL of the production, and if you start doing that for all runs then it just compounds. Then you have to consider that with exclusives, there's a company buying all of them and that initial cost is enormous. We can only guess what dealers are paying on their end, but just some simple math might look like $100 each knife for a 1200 piece run is $120,000 and if it's closer to $200 each then it's $240,000, or even at $50 cost to the dealer that's a $60,000 initial investment and many of the dealers are small businesses so asking them to double their batch size may not be financially possible. These costs are the same for Spyderco even though they're making the knives themselves, it all costs more money in the long run.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

15V PM2 was just up on National Knives for 22 minutes from time of notification. Hats off to Spyderco for nailing this sprint run production.