Spydie flick Stretch 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
maximelt

Spydie flick Stretch 2?

Post by maximelt »

Is there a way to make my Stretch 2 easier to spydie flick open? I've tried some KPL and opening it a thousand or so times but so far it's not much different.
JRinFL

Re: Spydie flick Stretch 2?

Post by JRinFL »

Welcome aboard!

Most back locks apply constant, or near constant, pressure on the tang of the knife, so flicking is going to be much more difficult. It comes down to finger strength more than anything else. Other lock designs are better for flicking, if that is important to you.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

maximelt wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:52 pm
Is there a way to make my Stretch 2 easier to spydie flick open? I've tried some KPL and opening it a thousand or so times but so far it's not much different.

Backlocks are certainly a bit harder to flick open in the beginning, but you'll sure get the hang of it.

I can meanwhile flick all my backlocks open with each finger (reverse grip for pinkie of course), just from frequently using backlock Spydies and finding flicking open comvenient and fun.

One tip: Imagine that the thumb in the hole does not push the blade outwards in an arc, but imagine that you try to push the blade out the front of the handle. In other words: Move the thumb in the hole parallel to the handle, not away from it.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I have no problem with the Endura. Stretch might be a bit harder.

I can, but do not flick my back locks. Please consider why you spydie flick a back lock? This slams the blade against the lock tang. If your looking to create some play in the lock, then by all means flick away.
Last edited by dan31 on Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:21 am
maximelt wrote:

Backlocks are certainly a bit harder to flick open in the beginning, but you'll sure get the hang of it.

I can meanwhile flick all my backlocks open with each finger (reverse grip for pinkie of course), just from frequently using backlock Spydies and finding flicking open comvenient and fun.

One tip: Imagine that the thumb in the hole does not push the blade outwards in an arc, but imagine that you try to push the blade out the front of the handle. In other words: Move the thumb in the hole parallel to the handle, not away from it.
As a climber, you have monstrously strong fingers. I'm pretty sure you can flick anything! :cheap-sunglasses
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:25 am
...This slams the blade against the lock tang. If your looking to create some play in the lock, then by all means flick away.
Wouldn't this be the case for any type of lock? Deformation is a possibility over repeated flicks, right? Is there something better about flicking open a blade with a stop pin (does the same hold true if you have external stop pins like an Umnumzaan)? Is it the size, shape, material, etc.? I'm not saying you're wrong, just generally curious as to why this may be worse on a back lock than other locks.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
maximelt wrote:

As a climber, you have monstrously strong fingers. I'm pretty sure you can flick anything! :cheap-sunglasses
Can you flick a cat Greg?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:47 am
dan31 wrote:
...This slams the blade against the lock tang. If your looking to create some play in the lock, then by all means flick away.
Wouldn't this be the case for any type of lock? Deformation is a possibility over repeated flicks, right? Is there something better about flicking open a blade with a stop pin (does the same hold true if you have external stop pins like an Umnumzaan)? Is it the size, shape, material, etc.? I'm not saying you're wrong, just generally curious as to why this may be worse on a back lock than other locks.
I believe that it might possibly peen the face of the lock bar and that would effect the lock up of the knife & introduce up and down lock play. I have not seen it on mine, but I don't flick back locks much.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

A slow, thumb roll on a backlock is the way to go. Screw that flickie crap.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
maximelt wrote:

:grin-sweat

... but seriously

- Yes, as a climber and active, rather tall male I should have stronger fingers than average indeed

- But this is true especially related to my (pretty low) body weight - I am nowhere near the real "big guys" and strong men and can´t rip apart phone books or roll up frying pans at all. ;)

- And: The "climbing finger strength is mostly about curling the fingers inwards (= grip strength), and not extending them outwards generally and not with high acceleration (so a bit like one would do only biceps curls, but never anything for the triceps).
- so it (the climbing finger strength) is of not much use for flicking a folder open.

- I think it is really a lot about technique:
As said, pushing the thumb towards the front of the handle, not outwards / perpendicular away from it, accelerating enough, let the blade go off the thumb (or other finger) at the right moment and so on.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
maximelt wrote:

:grin-sweat

... but seriously

- Yes, as a climber and active, rather tall male I should have stronger fingers than average indeed

- But this is true especially related to my (pretty low) body weight - I am nowhere near the real "big guys" and strong men and can´t rip apart phone books or roll up frying pans at all. ;)

- And: The "climbing finger strength is mostly about curling the fingers inwards (= grip strength), and not extending them outwards generally and not with high acceleration (so a bit like one would do only biceps curls, but never anything for the triceps).
- so it (the climbing finger strength) is of not much use for flicking a folder open.

- I think it is really a lot about technique:
As said, pushing the thumb towards the front of the handle, not outwards / perpendicular away from it, accelerating enough, let the blade go off the thumb (or other finger) at the right moment and so on.
Yes, technique is critically important and your tip for flicking is accurate. However, you would be surprised how weak the average persons hand and fingers are in reality. I don't consider my hands strong, but when I went to physical therapy and they tested my hand strength, they were surprised how strong my hands are compared to the average. I was surprised by that result.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
.....Please consider why you spydie flick a back lock? This slams the blade against the lock tang. If your looking to create some play in the lock, then by all means flick away.
TkoK83Spy wrote: A slow, thumb roll on a backlock is the way to go. Screw that flickie crap.
Is flicking a backlock a necessary skill? No, certainly not by any means!

... But in my humble opinion it is nor worse, neither better than slow rolling. Just different, with different (granted very subtle) pros and cons..

- Flicking is faster, which will almost never, but still might make it a good skill in some situations (self defense...)
- To me personally it is just very convenient, more so than a slow roll (which I still do too of course)
- Also, and this may sound paradox, when flicking it open the knife remains a bit safer in my hand (don´t ask me why. No idea. I´ll try to find out and maybe come back later with an explanation)
- I flick my backlocks all the time - no wear so far that I would notice in a way that would bother me
- Getting to know and master a folder or tool generally in many different ways is probably a good thing. A bit light professionals in sport train stuff they might never really perform in their competitions or games, but that still gives them a more rounded of skill and motion set

- AND, last but not least: If people find flicking a knife fun: Why not? ;) Is this really crazier than having the same model in 5 different steels? Or getting scales in a particular color?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 am
JRinFL wrote:
Wartstein wrote:

Yes, technique is critically important and your tip for flicking is accurate. However, you would be surprised how weak the average persons hand and fingers are in reality. I don't consider my hands strong, but when I went to physical therapy and they tested my hand strength, they were surprised how strong my hands are compared to the average. I was surprised by that result.

You certainly have a point here....

but then:

I actually quite recently showed a lady how to flick a backlock knife open (she wanted this! ;) ). She is not weak for a woman, but also not particularly strong. Believe it or not, with one or two tips from me it took her like 10 minutes to flick most of my backlocks open with the thumb quite consistently

(I actually also showed her how to close a backlock with the index finger on the lockbar (so "fingers all the time out of the blade path") (yes, she wanted that too, as well as learning the other methods she saw me using ;) ) - also took her just minutes to get the hang of it.
Completely unnecessary skill too, no doubt, but also not really about finger strength but technique.)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Where the heck is Bloke?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
dan31

Post by dan31 »

p_atrick wrote:
dan31 wrote:
Flicking is bad for any folding knife. I don't flick any of them.

That said, its your knife so do what you please.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

For most back lock, it's a question of building pressure in a direction that won't open the blade and then quickly change the direction of that built-up pressure towards the right direction. Takes a bit off fiddling but it can be achieved.

My SS Stretch 2 K390 as a big hole though, and the spring isn't particularly strong, that would make for a rather "soft" flick.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

dan31 wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:04 am
Flicking is bad for any folding knife. I don't flick any of them.
Gotcha, I was reading more into your post (flicking back lock = bad, other lock types = good) than was actually said. Thanks for the clarification.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:01 am
Where the heck is Bloke?

... he'd "bloke" me into the ground! :')
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

p_atrick wrote:
dan31 wrote:
I believe the point that was being made was that in the case of a backlock it is the lock interface that is absorbing the shock, and some potential deformation of the lock interface with repeated "flicking". As you note, a stop pin performs the function of its name. While there may be some deformation, it won't change the lock interface, though you may still end up with some slop due to deformation or compression of the stop pin/inteface on the blade.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

I find it faster to thumb the hole as soon as I have a master grip and can have the blade open before it’s in a position to even flick

Flicking is not recommended by the manufacture

Also flicking in public and is an unnecessary attention, getter