Forum Knife???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: Forum Knife???

Post by JSumm »

I don't think anyone can blame you. Thanks for the consideration.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:34 pm
We've thought about it and discussed it, but discussion hasn't proved to be fruitful. There is so little consensus that when we did make them, complaints were many and sales were poor.

sal
Maybe make them a preorder that way it would help mitigate the risk? Maybe only engrave a portion of blades before hand that way if sales are low you could still sell the knife as regular production/sprint model. I usually prefer a stainless steel but I don’t think that would matter as most of the forum knives probably become safe queens. Anyways even if this does not get done thank you anyways Sal for kicking the idea around still. Very few companies are this invested in its core audience. I have seen many companies fail because they focused more on growth and forgot the core customer.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

sal wrote:
We've thought about it and discussed it, but discussion hasn't proved to be fruitful. There is so little consensus that when we did make them, complaints were many and sales were poor.

sal
All good Sal , thank you for consideration . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
msum

Post by msum »

Doesn’t look like it will but, if this gets reconsidered, I’d be happy with something that the powers that be just simply decide on, with regards to design. I know that doesn’t make a compelling business case!
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

sal wrote:

sal
Aww man sorry to hear that Sal! well I did my part and bought two of them the last go round and will do so again if that helps.

:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:05 am
I think the closest we got was a UKPK in Spy-27 in Blue G10 with Forum Knife written on the backspacer. I believe that was Sal's last suggestion.
Sounds rad, I’m down.
Unluckycharm

Post by Unluckycharm »

I guess the $64,000 question is for Sal then. Sal what would it take to get a forum knife out this year for production, exclusive for forum members? I think this is a great idea, Sal we are a special group and something to distinguish that would be great! I know what I would like to see but varsity is the spice. Right?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:33 pm
JSumm wrote:
I think the closest we got was a UKPK in Spy-27 in Blue G10 with Forum Knife written on the backspacer. I believe that was Sal's last suggestion.
Sounds rad, I’m down.
That is about as far as Forum knife was at and personally was very happy with the direction . Something affordable , globally diverse , and a steel to honor Spyderco development. I respect Sal’s decision on the subject and will leave it there . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

I don’t remember being any type of poll for the pm2 forum one, but wouldn’t have been my first choice. Would think one that we all mostly want would sell no problem.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
that would be really great, actually!
sal wrote: We've thought about it and discussed it, but discussion hasn't proved to be fruitful. There is so little consensus that when we did make them, complaints were many and sales were poor.

sal
i can totally understand that given the way these threads often go. personally, i'd like to see something like what jeff mentioned above. understated, but still special. uniquely spyderco and spyderco forum, but still something we'd use instead of locking away.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

Hopsbreath wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:33 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sounds rad, I’m down.
Me too.
- Richard
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

You can call it anything you like but it is just another sprint run … some unique combination of model , steel, color, coating or no coating …. done as a one time thing and of limited production and low cost relative to base model.

And we have all experienced how these have done over the years.

My .02

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Danke

Post by Danke »

For me it has to be a magnacut UKPK Penkinfe Tanto Slysz Bowie backlock with elephant ivory scales blacked out and a 4 way clip. Otherwise it's a hard pass.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Without a hesitation, UKPK G10 anything, any blade shape. I am a big fan of the HH variant.
Peter
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

MagnaCut UKPK Drop Point.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:19 pm
You can call it anything you like but it is just another sprint run … some unique combination of model , steel, color, coating or no coating …. done as a one time thing and of limited production and low cost relative to base model.

And we have all experienced how these have done over the years.

My .02

CG
Even though it sounds like Spyderco isn’t highly motivated to make another forum knife, this is why I think it is important that any forum knife includes a laser marking on the blade denoting is as a “forum knife.” Without anything to identify it as “forum knife” I agree that it is basically just another sprint run.
- Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I too, of course fully understand and respect Spydercos and Salls decision, and am grateful that they did at least consider and discuss another forum knife (I personally am new enough not to Spyderco, but to this forum, for never being aware of and getting one of the previous iterations).

I do think though that with that UKPK version we were as close as we can get to a "consensus" - though maybe / probably / obviously not close enough.
I myself would have certainly and gladly gotten one, despite not being into non locking folders at all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

We do have the Lil Native SLIPIT now, which could be another global option for a Forum Knife. It would be nice to have something fresh that not everyone has yet. The G10 UKPK is still a fantastic knife, I’m just thinking marketability. I would leave the color and steel to Spyderco, they seem to know best.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The Massad Ayoob reboot was kind of a forum knife.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I would buy any Forum Knife that Spyderco made as long as it was a left-handed PM2 with a serrated CPM-15V blade with fire engine red G10 scales.