Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Re: Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I enjoy knives because they're available in different steels. If I was limited to one steel I would probably have one or two knives instead of the 40+ I have now. But if somehow I do come across a magic lamp and find myself in this situation I would probably choose Maxamet. I still have a few popular steels to try like K390 and Magnacut so that's subject to change.
Albertaboyscott

Re: Steel genie is about to turn all your knives into one steel…what are you picking.

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Cruwear/zwear for me. At least untill I try that good good magnacut!
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Delta 3V, followed by Cruwear
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Definitely something stainless, because I grew up with smelly carbon steel kitchen knives and that put me off non-stainless steels. You did say “all your knives.”

Magnacut seems like the right answer. I’ve never tried the stuff, but reports on its properties suggest a very well-balanced metal, like VG-10 but better in several respects. What’s not to like?
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

REX121... then I can sell them for a massive amount of money and buy more knives.

For a non-joke answer: magnacut is probably most practical. K390 is better for what I normally do, but it would be a bit annoying for certain tasks unless I had DLC'd blades. 15V might work better than K390, but I don't know if I'd trust it to take a beating.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I’ll chase that genie away.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue
Brock O Lee wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:32 pm
I’ll chase that genie away.
:squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue :squinting-tongue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
R100

Post by R100 »

I like a lot of different steels but if I only had one I'd probably pick Cruwear. It's great in SE as well as PE and the corrosion issues are easily dealt with. Tough, stable, great to sharpen and hangs on to the really sharp edge pretty well.

Dan
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

If that dumb ol' Genie tries to pull any of that magical mumbo jumbo on me, I'll whip out my Manix 2 Heavyweight CPM-15V, Spydie Flick it open, and stick him in his fat Genie neck. If he has any wishes left, he'll be wishing he hadn't tried to mess with my Spydercos.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Ugh, I guess HAP40 on the land and LC200N for the ocean.

The most balanced steels might be CPM Cruwear and CPM S90v.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Clad Hap40 run @ 65

Great for kitchen knives and folders
-Turbo
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I wouldn't want one steel. The whole idea is to try different steels.

However, popular opinion is fun to watch. Magnacut appears to be beating out yesterday's "M390 at 63 RC".
anycal

Post by anycal »

Tool steel is king in my book. But woudn't want to be without a decent stainless.

K390 and S90V. Since I have multiple of my favorite model, this would work out just fine.
Peter
BeggarSo

Post by BeggarSo »

Uru but until Spyderco makes it available CPM-Magnacut.
:bug-red-white Those who are wise sharpen their steel to it's chemistry not their beliefs. "BeggarSo" :fortune-cookie
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Platinum. Then I’d weigh them all in and buy all of my grail knives 😜
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
standy99

Post by standy99 »

dan31 wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:10 pm
Ugh, I guess HAP40 on the land and LC200N for the ocean.

The most balanced steels might be CPM Cruwear and CPM S90v.
Yey a HAP40 fan…do enjoy HAP40

I recently found a stock of very old Japanese HAP40 steel. (From a Japanese supplier)
It’s actually hardened already so it will make some nice knives but can see myself wearing out some belts making a few knives out of it.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sameness doesn’t float my boat. Variety, spice, and all that…
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
ncrockclimb

Post by ncrockclimb »

I am begging Steel Genie to stop and go away. Half of the fun for me is using and sharpening different steels. Being limited to just one would take a lot of joy away from me.

edit to add:
If I have to choose, rex 45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nice to see quite some votes for REX45 / HAP45 (including mine for PE).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
CDEP

Post by CDEP »

Cru-Wear.
Brian