Knife steel vs knife shape

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doonzman

Knife steel vs knife shape

Post by Doonzman »

Hey guys,

New to the folding knife world (I have really nice moritaka hamono, and zwilling, kitchen knives).

I’m looking for some noob advice. I’m looking to getting a PM2 (manix and para3 are also in the mix but the combination of steels/blade shapes/availability leaves something to be desired).

Cutlery shoppe has the PM2 in a wharncliffe blade in XHP (both orange g-10 scales with satin or dlc finish. I kinda like the orange/black Halloween 🎃 look).

There’s also the PM2 brown “crucarta” version in the their normal blade shame that’s widely available.

cruwear seems to be preferred over xhp but I’ve always loved wharncliffe blade shapes.

What is a new lad to do? Roll with the preferred blade shape or the preferred blade steel?

Primary use will be fidgeting/light use. Also, i live in North Carolina. It gets humid but I’m not subject to salt water.

Thanks guys.

Michael
“A man wishing to be unhappy finds many ways to prove his course”
- 100 Eyes
JSumm

Re: Knife steel vs knife shape

Post by JSumm »

I think you should get what you really like. If you like the wharncliffe, go that route. The PM2 has one of the best looking wharncliffe blades. Not too tall and round. As far as the steels, in use I don't think there is much difference to be felt between Cruwear and XHP. XHP is a stainless steel, but one of the least stainless, stainless steels in the Spyderco line-up. On the flip side, Cruwear appears to be a fairly stainless steel in the Non-stainless class. They both sharpen up excellently and have similar edge retention. Either steel you cannot go wrong with in my opinion. Get the one you like the best.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Doonzman

Post by Doonzman »

Thanks for your time and perspective, Jeff!
- 100 Eyes
Foehammer

Post by Foehammer »

Get both :winking-tongue
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

~Joe

MNOSD member #0045
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Given what you’re planning to use the knife for, I wouldn’t worry too much about blade steel. I would recommend getting which ever one you think would make you happier. To me it sounds like that would be the Cutlery Shoppe exclusive PM2.
- Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Gotta agree with the others, choose what appeals most to you! Get familiar with the knives, designs, etc before you start worrying about steels. That turns into a completely different animal if you want to get nerdy enough about it!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doonzman

Post by Doonzman »

The Halloween 🎃 PM2 it is!! I may also get the DLT exclusive pm2 in purple/black. I’ve always thought purple and orange were great Halloween colors. Why am I fixated on Halloween in January. I don’t have a good answer for that🫠.

Thanks everyone! My knife journey starts today!
- 100 Eyes
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

What I would say, is that the blade steel doesn't matter much if you never use it.

In other words, if you don't like the blade shape, the handle, or whatever reason might keep you from using it, then you're not going to get any benefit out of a specialty steel in a blade.

I'll give a good example. I have a Kizer Sheepdog in 10V. Great steel, phenomenally slicy, etc. Yet, the blade is a cleaver, and so there's a few tasks it's just not really that great for, and I end up opting to use a humble drop-point or something in a lesser steel.

Plus, in regards to corrosion, I think that's one of the easiest things to address. There's lots of rust preventatives you can use, even food-safe ones if you think you need that. I really like to keep a stick of chapstick with me with my carbon steel blades, even though I really don't live in a very humid environment. But some steels like 1095 will rust just looking at them, so I tend to keep chapstick in my pocket so I can apply it after using the knife. Plus there's always blade coatings too.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

If you like wharnies, you could also check out the Yojimbo 2 Cruwear exclusives from KC and DLT (links below).

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/SP85GP ... -exclusive

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-yoj ... wear-blade
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

:index-finger oh yeah! Worth checking out. The purple is very subdued and earthy in person. Looks awesome!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i've seen both of those steels compared to d2. i doubt you'll be unhappy with either, but i would personally choose xhp. i've enjoyed that steel on my manix and stainless wins for me generally. i also just happen to think that the wharnie pm2 is the coolest pm2, especially all blacked out. if you like the black and orange wharncliffe, i doubt you'll be disappointed with it.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

oh yeah... the yojimbo is sick. i'd pick that over a pm2 any day, but there's nothing wrong with the pm2 either.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doonzman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I vote Crucarta. Heck of a knife.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Design beats steel every time. I’ll take something in 8CrMoV13 with an awesome design/blade over whatever the whiz bang steel is any time every time.

XHP is a good steel.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

If you like the Wharncliffe blade shape Spyderco has lots to offer in various models, sizes, steels, handle materials, locking mechanisms and prices.

• Delica4
  • Endela
  • Endura4
  • Dragonfly2
  • ManBug
  • RockJumper
  • Salt2
  • Yojimbo2
  • YoJumbo
  • Lil’ Native
  • Swayback
  • Canis
  • McBee
  • Smock
  • Paysan
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doonzman

Post by Doonzman »

I’m honestly floored by the helpful responses. When you see comment threads on platforms like YouTube, or anything firearms related (I’m deep into the 2A thing), you witness so many unfriendly folks.
I really appreciate all of y’all’s input in helping guide my decision.

And after all that. I had the pm wharny in my cart and took one last peek on DLT before submitting my payment; I saw a para 3 DLC/tan g-10 in 20cv for $150. I scooped it on up.

A para 3 wharny would be so cool.

Thanks again y’all.
- 100 Eyes
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hey Doonzman, welcome to the forum!

As others have said already: As one (quoting you) "new to the folding knife world" I don´t think you´d be able to really feel a difference between the two steels... heck, I am not excactly new to this world, but I am pretty sure I could not too in a blind test.
(To be clear:I am not the greatest steel expert out there, never tried Cruwear but actually really enjoy the XHP on my Chap).

And both are great steels anyway.

Go with the design that appeals more to you!

If that helps: I got a used Tenacious with gorgeous wooden scales on the secondary market recently - and guess what? I am really enjoying this knife, though it is "just" in 8Cr13Mov - actually I especially enjoy what a breeze it is to get this thing sharp again in no time. :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

Doonzman wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:41 pm
cruwear seems to be preferred over xhp but I’ve always loved wharncliffe blade shapes.
cru-wear is much tougher than xhp but has slightly reduced wear resistance and is less stainless. You might be able to get away with a thinner edge on the cru-wear due to its increased toughness, but I doubt you'll see too much difference otherwise (unless you intend to beat the knife up).

Unless you really need the toughness of cru-wear, I'd say to just get whatever blade shape you prefer. You might even prefer xhp due to the increased stain resistance.