Fun and easy mod

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Fun and easy mod

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If you have access to a bead blaster you can recondition g10 to look and feel almost like peel ply. First I modded my nightstick because it was just too shiny and slippery. After the bead blast it felt much better in hand and I liked the subdued look. I liked it so much I did the same process to my newly acquired Tropen. It added much needed grip to a knife that is decidedly tactical. They both are really.

I also added a swedge and neutered the flipper tab on the Tropen since it hurt my finger every time I deployed the blade.

Last touch was adding the GI.JOE cobra logo because, well…it’s fun.

I think my next experiment will be to bead blast some beaten up peel ply g10 to see if it breathes new life into it.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wandering_About

Re: Fun and easy mod

Post by Wandering_About »

Nice work, those look good.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Looks great! Makes me want to pick a Tropen before they’re gone, but I probably won’t and regret it down the line.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a sweet hookup on all sorts of different media blasting but then that friend got a different job lol. It was fun while it lasted, got all kinds of car parts done for free. If I still had the option I might give this a go since I really like peel ply.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Very cool! Those turned out pretty sweet. I like the G.I. Joe etch too. I just received a new sand blast cabinet for Christmas, so I’ll definitely be doing some blasting here in the near future. LC, what type of glass bead media do you prefer to use?
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I can't see the photos. Question: since G10 is basically a fiberglass fabric infused with resin, does blasting expose little shards of fiberglass, and do they embed in skin?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Cool mods! How did you do the Cobra logos, with the bead blaster? Acid etched?
- Nick :bug-red
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:18 am
Very cool! Those turned out pretty sweet. I like the G.I. Joe etch too. I just received a new sand blast cabinet for Christmas, so I’ll definitely be doing some blasting here in the near future. LC, what type of glass bead media do you prefer to use?

I wish I could tell you specifically what I used, it’s been a while and the bags I bought weren’t labeled properly. I have two blasting cabinets. One with a very fine glass bead media, it’s nice for a smoother finish. The other I’ve got a mix, a coarser glass mixed with carbide. That’s what I used for the G10.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:18 am
I had a sweet hookup on all sorts of different media blasting but then that friend got a different job lol. It was fun while it lasted, got all kinds of car parts done for free. If I still had the option I might give this a go since I really like peel ply.

Where I live there’s a local business called U-blast. They let you go in and use their cabinets to blast whatever you want for a fee. Maybe you could check if you have something like that nearby?

@liquid_cobra
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Hi Liquid it has bin a long time since i have seen you in the weekly picture contest. :squinting-tongue

Love the mods you did here its so amazing how modding can make a great blade even greater!
Especially true on spydies in my opinion.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:28 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:18 am

I wish I could tell you specifically what I used, it’s been a while and the bags I bought weren’t labeled properly. I have two blasting cabinets. One with a very fine glass bead media, it’s nice for a smoother finish. The other I’ve got a mix, a coarser glass mixed with carbide. That’s what I used for the G10.
Thanks, man. I’ll definitely look into it. I’ve heard glass bead does a nice job on G-10, but I’ve yet to try it out. Time for some R&D!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal