C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:35 am
OK I changed the PE to 17 1/2 degrees. What a cutter now. It's now close to perfect.

The C-60 Ayoob is most definitely one Spyderco knife that the saying "Using Is Believing" certainly applies. Everyone that I've gotten them to actually use the C-60 Ayoob in either edge type (SE or PE) has had nothing but good to say about it.

The C-60 Ayoob in both edge types is truly a keeper and would be a crime not to use it. Oh I most definitely want a couple of extras for the collection but the two I have now will be hard users for some time to come.

I still can't get over that one old friend of mine who used to be on the Forum a few years back that told me it was his favorite fish fillet knife.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Fharing45 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:46 pm
Was thinking of changing the tip angle of the SE Ayoob. Any one tried that yet? Suggestions?
I did this shortly after receiving mine. I believe I went to 15 degrees. It looks a little funky but is way more useful. I’d recommend starting a little higher and work your way down. The pe section on my se model must have been >25 degrees.
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

blueblur wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:35 am
Fharing45 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:46 pm
Was thinking of changing the tip angle of the SE Ayoob. Any one tried that yet? Suggestions?
I did this shortly after receiving mine. I believe I went to 15 degrees. It looks a little funky but is way more useful. I’d recommend starting a little higher and work your way down. The pe section on my se model must have been >25 degrees.
Thanks, I took mine to 30 degrees, since it's one sided merging to teeth, it pierces well now and very sharp. :bug-red-white
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

R100 wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:28 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:49 am
riclaw wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:23 pm
I'd love to hear ladybug93's thoughts on tip-up vs. tip-down...
I do love the newly added versatility of the newer Cruwear C-60 Ayoob model. You can configurate it to suit whatever preferences you might have.

I'm also hoping that more people will continue to let us know if they have gotten the C-60 Sprint Run in SE or PE. It seems like the overall demand is about equal from what I can tell.
I got the SE and I love it. I was really lucky with the grind and got a snaggle tooth but with the serrations cut at around 15° or slightly less. I just reprofiled the PE at the tip and it cuts like nothing else. I am really impressed with the overall build quality and recently decided to buy a PE as well. Unfortunately I seem to have left my run too late and cannot find one at a retailer who will ship to Australia. I am constantly checking and sending emails but no luck so far. I will probably pass on the G10 Stretch XL because as far as I can tell the build quality will disappoint me after the Ayoob. Not that I think it will be worse than my G10 Endura or Police 3 but the Ayoob is on a whole other level. The grind is obviously not as slicey as ffg but I have plenty of slicers and the Ayoob's design just makes it a great cutter.

Dan
I hear what you're saying in reference to a "Full Flat Grind" being a proficient cutter. Albeit I don't have that problem of the PE version of the Ayoob not being an avid slicer per se in spite of the Hollow Grind. This Cruwear blade on the new Sprint Run when sharp I believe can compete with virtually any of Spyderco's other models. I've also found that even the full SE version with it's newer/better serration pattern is an extremely efficient cutter. I sure hope that Spyderco does more models with this newer/better serration pattern.

And this is coming from a guy who is a fan of "Full Flat Grind" blades. Not sure why Massad Ayoob chose a Hollow grind or Sabre Grind but it certainly hasn't impeded what I do with a folder. But I'm all ears if I'm overlooking anything.
BigFishShamu

Post by BigFishShamu »

Just called the Factory Outlet store for a new set of screws. Lost one a while back and never got around to calling them. Great customer service! My Ayoob should be back in action in no time.
“Stepping into the ring was the fight.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BigFishShamu wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:47 pm
Just called the Factory Outlet store for a new set of screws. Lost one a while back and never got around to calling them. Great customer service! My Ayoob should be back in action in no time.
Yes Sir!! Spyderco customer service has come to the rescue for me on so many occasions and continues to this day. So glad you were able to get the parts you needed for your Spyderco C-60 Ayoob Cruwear Sprint Run.

I just can't help myself by saying that they could do another run of this C-60 Ayoob model about every 5 years or so and this great model would never run out of fans. And we can always count on Spyderco's Warranty & Repair Dept to keep spare parts in stock and available.
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

I know I'm going to get a ton of flak for this, but MY GOD the Ayoob is UGGGGGGGGG-LY. (I would still buy one, though)
Basko00

Post by Basko00 »

Form follows function.

And ugly girls need love, too.

They’re made incredibly well. This run of C-60’s was custom quality.
benben

Post by benben »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:43 pm
I know I'm going to get a ton of flak for this, but MY GOD the Ayoob is UGGGGGGGGG-LY. (I would still buy one, though)
I'll never forget this as a teenager, me and my dad were at a car auction and a Saab 900 came through the line and to the block. I turned to my dad and said "geez, that's got to be the ugliest car I've ever seen!" My dad came back quickly with "son, there's a butt for every seat!" ;) And....it sold right then and there!
Fharing45

Post by Fharing45 »

OK I got my ayoob down to 15 dps and she's screaming sharp. The canted blade gives me 80% of a hookbill, with all the advantages of a straight knife.
Ugly? Hardly, she is a classic beauty. So far she out preforms anything I have used. Image
bmw 650i specs 0 60

Calling JD Spyderco, come on RaRaRa! More Ayoob.........heh if I head north I could pick you up in hour or so, we could be in Golden by nightfall, then we can double team Sal....lol and maybe get Ayoob as a standard offering.
In its proper prospective I own Canis, yojimbo, and Gb2 . I have more use for Ayoob than any of them, a far superior knife in my opinion.
SpyderFreak69

Post by SpyderFreak69 »

Just got my MA in cruwear and max it’s the nicest blade quality, fit, finish, everything, of all my other Sco knives
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fharing45 wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:40 pm
OK I got my ayoob down to 15 dps and she's screaming sharp. The canted blade gives me 80% of a hookbill, with all the advantages of a straight knife.
Ugly? Hardly, she is a classic beauty. So far she out preforms anything I have used. Image
bmw 650i specs 0 60

Calling JD Spyderco, come on RaRaRa! More Ayoob.........heh if I head north I could pick you up in hour or so, we could be in Golden by nightfall, then we can double team Sal....lol and maybe get Ayoob as a standard offering.
In its proper prospective I own Canis, yojimbo, and Gb2 . I have more use for Ayoob than any of them, a far superior knife in my opinion.
To answer our good Brother "SpyderForLyfe" who claimed the C-60 to be "ugly" :thinking Well it goes back to an old episode of the Twilight Zone>> the name of the episode is called "The Eye Of The Beholder" because truly beauty is IN THE EYE OF THE BEHOLDER>> with all due respect case closed on that one.

In response to another Brother "Fharing45" hey I would be up for seeing Mr. Glesser face to face to make our case for the C-60 Ayoob model to come back as a production model again. Nothing could make me more happy I can assure you. If many of the newer Spyder-Heads would embrace the C-60 Ayoob I do think we would see a serious resurgence in popularity without a doubt.

The C-60 Ayoob is one of the most intriguing knives to ever come forth from The Great Spyder Factory. and most certainly not ugly :cheap-sunglasses
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

SpyderForLyfe wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:43 pm
Do you really think this thought evens warrants a post, especially one so disrespectful and devoid of substance?

It sounds like something a thoughtless child would cry out.

From what I've read a ton of work went into this project, from both Spyderco and the maker, and one of our most senior and thoughtful members here -JDSpydo- has spent countless time here advocating for its conception, production and release.

Easily one of the most juvenile posts I've seen here in quite awhile and something this thread absolutely does not deserve.
SpyderFreak69

Post by SpyderFreak69 »

The MA in CRUwear is such a great knife and value is unreal. Compared the stretch XL at almost $300, I got my MA for $210. Hands down I’d take the MA
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

he's not wrong. it is ugly. it's classic spyderco though. it's that highly useful and functional ugly that they're not afraid to make. they have even said their knives are "designed in the dark." i thought my first ladybug was hideous when i saw it, but i also thought it was awesome and knew i needed it. i had the same thought when i first saw the ayoob in that spyderco employee edc check video from bhq, but figured i'd never be able to get one.

i was really glad to see this thread get traction and the model made. didn't expect the extra level of ugly i got with my snaggletooth copy or the (imo) ugly response, but it's still a great design and sure cuts like a laser.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
SpyderForLyfe

Post by SpyderForLyfe »

Meadowlark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:08 am

Do you really think this thought evens warrants a post
Yes, I do. Any other questions I can answer for your majesty?
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have always thought the design was unusual but not ugly and really prefer less hump in a blade and handle seemed so odd . It wasn’t until I had one in hand that I realized it is a knife of functional beauty. The knife feels very natural in hand once I became accustomed to the hump . Actually taught me a valuable lesson , handle a knife before you have a true opinion . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:45 am
I have always thought the design was unusual but not ugly and really prefer less hump in a blade and handle seemed so odd . It wasn’t until I had one in hand that I realized it is a knife of functional beauty. The knife feels very natural in hand once I became accustomed to the hump . Actually taught me a valuable lesson , handle a knife before you have a true opinion . MG2
don't judge a knife by it's stock photo. :rofl
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:48 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:45 am
don't judge a knife by it's stock photo. :rofl
Well,said ! 😁
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I held one at blade show, and it is amazing in hand. Holding it out, it 100% hits its intended design.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005