Which is better

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rmeron

Which is better

Post by rmeron »

To have the blade centered and a tad stiffer opening or lighter opening with the blade not centered.
Naperville

Re: Which is better

Post by Naperville »

If it is so stiff that it is not usable, that would be bad. I'd have to change that. But for the most part, I leave my knives alone.

If it's crooked from the factory and hitting the inside of the knife, that would kind of drive me a bit cray cray, and I'd have to fix that too.

I use my knives for self defense, and I always find a way to get them open. For some knives I'd prefer a 5x5 Combat Solutions Pickpocket Exo-ccessory if it is available.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Depends on what you like, prefer, or prioritize. I personally do not care much about the centering issue, but I do not like slop or movement of the blade when opening or locked. If I detect it, I prefer to tighten it up as much as possible while still being able to close and open easily.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I'd prefer a good action with a slightly off center blade.

Function over form.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I’ll always take a centred blade with sub-standard action out of the box. I dismantle all of my knives fairly frequently to deep clean them, and I’ve not met a knife yet I can’t finesse the action on with a bit of patience, some KPL and some high grit sandpaper. Admittedly sometimes I wish I hadn’t taken them apart - UKPKs are my nemesis 😂
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It would depend on the knife. If it were a detent based knife I'd want harder opening and closing. If it were a back lock or CBBL then easier opening.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

billdoier72 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:28 am
I'd prefer a good action with a slightly off center blade.

Function over form.
This for the most part. Especially for the Byrd line of knives. As long as the blade isn't warped or rubbing the liner. Now I will admit the more expensive the knife, the higher my expectations.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably go with better centering because I can probably tune the opening action depending on the lock. Then again I only have one knife I can't tweak and get centered.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Centered blade with slightly stiffer action. I'm not really a huge fan of "drop shut" action. A Sebenza my standard for how I prefer a knife to feel for opening/closing.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
rmeron

Post by rmeron »

Thanks all.Just wanted different opinions. I've centered my Tenacious and I'm happy with the opening and closing.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I try to find a happy medium for both, and I've been able to do that on most Spydercos with a little tuning.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

JoviAl wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:39 am
I’ll always take a centred blade with sub-standard action out of the box. I dismantle all of my knives fairly frequently to deep clean them, and I’ve not met a knife yet I can’t finesse the action on with a bit of patience, some KPL and some high grit sandpaper. Admittedly sometimes I wish I hadn’t taken them apart - UKPKs are my nemesis 😂
I feel you on that :') My S110V UKPK was about to be disassembled to check the internals and maintain it a little bit. First knife I didn't manage to disassemble without issue. The spring bar screw is free turning and I have no way of getting it out :( So this one will never be disassembled ! A bit sad, I'd like to have some struggle re-assembling it :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:14 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:39 am
I feel you on that :') My S110V UKPK was about to be disassembled to check the internals and maintain it a little bit. First knife I didn't manage to disassemble without issue. The spring bar screw is free turning and I have no way of getting it out :( So this one will never be disassembled ! A bit sad, I'd like to have some struggle re-assembling it :squinting-tongue
I don’t know if I’m telling you how to suck eggs, but I’ve had excellent results putting a rare Earth magnet on my bit driver when extracting screws that free spin. It was a cheap and simple solution to a complex problem that my old man put me onto (he’s a retired aeronautical engineer and full of cunning tips).

Have a great day 👍🏻
Al
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE