Mini Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TomAiello

Re: Mini Manix

Post by TomAiello »

rooster81 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:54 pm
Appreciate the answers everyone!

To clarify, yes, I was looking for something with a similar locking mechanism in addition to the overall design.

Thanks!
I wish there were better Spyderco options for this. I'd love a Chap sized knife with a CBBL. In the past Sal has indicated that it wasn't really feasible to put the CBBL into that size.

The closest I've come is the Doug Ritter Knifeworks Hogue exclusive in the 'mini' size, and that falls well short of Spyderco ergonomics, unfortunately.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:21 am
But that ^ is not how Spyderco (or the world) works; Spyderco evolves its designs over time. The main purpose of each model is to sell, and the evolutions are designed to achieve increased revenue. If each design were to be "left alone" there'd be no Manix 2 (or any other updated design) and no CQI. My advice, if you are against updated designs, is to grab the older models on the second-hand market when they appear.

Sometimes the aftermarketers tell you where the marketplace is headed. For example, on the Manix 2, AWT is selling a popular, slimmed-down set of scales for the Manix for $85. Their selling point is that their scales make the Manix slimmer (in two dimensions), rounder, and lighter. That's evolution in progress, and may point to where the markeplace is headed.
Like Mushroom says i want to point out i want them to spend less time in CQI at this point in time because that is the only thing they are as it seems doing now i did not say anything about completely stopping that …

So yes i would love improved Spyderco’s but designs as the Manix 2 , XL or para 2 , pm3 are now they do not need improvement at this time! They are so amazing as they are at the moment that changing them now seems just an excuse to not design new ones any more… I do not know how active you where 5 to 10 years ago but completely new designs came out every few weeks!!! (You guys here know that the chinese like civivi make new models at a high rate but Spyderco in those days had an even higher new model rate then them have now!)
And believe me or not there were multiple new designs a year that everyone wanted in those days!

Now the pipe has bin shut down with a single drop a year coming out of it… I can not believe people do not notice that or are all those exclusives blinding so much of you guys so hard that you do not even notice that spyderco does not do much new anymore?

And believe me as i say this the only person at spyderco still trying to make COMPLETELY new designs is Sal himself and the day he can not do it anymore is the day we all need to be scared about! You will notice it then what i see now. I hope Sal turns a 100 years old with ease because we need him!
Last edited by apollo on Sat Oct 22, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Really hoping that Eric will listen to the clamor (over the years) for a Para 3-sized Manix.

🙂❤️
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

[quote=Mushroom post_id=1665209 time=1666375443 user_id=25059]
I do not believe Apollo means to just leave every model they make ignored but it seems like he’s just asking for more design diversity. Which I don’t blame him for, I’ve been wishing the same thing for a while now as well. Their catalog is huge but, in my opinion, it’s beginning to feel kind of stale. I would personally attribute that feeling to the pace of actual new designs slowing down dramatically over the past few years.
[/quote]

[quote=apollo post_id=1665420 time=1666421566 user_id=3121]
I do not know how active you where 5 to 10 years ago but completely new designs came out every few weeks!!! (You guys here know that the chinese like civivi make new models at a high rate but Spyderco in those days had an even higher new model rate then them have now!) And believe me or not there were multiple new designs a year that everyone wanted in those days! Now the pipe has bin shut down with a single drop a year coming out of it… I can not believe people do not notice that or are all those exclusives blinding so much of you guys so hard that you do not even notice that spyderco does not do much new anymore?
[/quote]

A somewhat different topic, but yes, I hear you guys on this point, and yes, have very much noticed, as I'm sure everyone else has too. I had assumed the absence of the usual number of innovative new models was due to supply chains being disrupted via COVID, and/or the expansion at the Spyderco factory. Like you, I am eagerly awaiting new models. I know lots of companies are in "hunker" mode just now and trimming their product lines, waiting for the recession/war/politically-manufactured-crisis/FUD-and-disruption that always seems just around the corner these days.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Shrinking the Manix...I'm guessing those humps in the handle would need to be softened considerably, or fit issues would arise...
Attachments
Red manix 7c.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

For what it’s worth, the release pace of new designs slowed down well before the pandemic started.

Also, they don’t resize knives like that. They tend to do more of a shortening or extending around the existing “cockpit” area of the platform they’re resizing. That way they’re not changing the ergonomics in any way other than size. Simply scaling it by a certain percentage changes literally everything.
- Nick :bug-red
Crox

Post by Crox »

I’m a design engineer in a completely different industry. My days are filled with engineering around supply chains and approving alternate parts. Some with 2 year lead time!

Similarly, we’re going through a factory expansion due to demand - which takes our resources and priority to meet demand.

Essentially no new product development is happening. If things are similar for Spyderco the slowdown of new products will probably continue for at least a couple more years.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:07 pm
Also, they don’t resize knives like that. They tend to do more of a shortening or extending around the existing “cockpit” area of the platform they’re resizing. That way they’re not changing the ergonomics in any way other than size. Simply scaling it by a certain percentage changes literally everything.

(Sigh.) I didn't say my graphic is how Spyderco would design a smaller Manix. I wanted to get an idea of what a shorter but full depth Manix blade might look like. The image is reduced in one dimension only, not an overall scale. I don't know how Spyderco would rework the handle, but it certainly would not be just a scaled version--I alluded to that. I don't know Photoshop well enough to treat the image like putty and shrink only certain areas...I'll leave that to a graphics wizard. Where you say Spyderco doesn't change the ergonomics (of a smaller version of the same knife) in any way other than size, well, "that sentence is kind of a blanket statement and not entirely accurate."
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:35 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:07 pm

(Sigh.) I didn't say my graphic is how Spyderco would design a smaller Manix. I wanted to get an idea of what a shorter but full depth Manix blade might look like. The image is reduced in one dimension only, not an overall scale. I don't know how Spyderco would rework the handle, but it certainly would not be just a scaled version--I alluded to that. I don't know Photoshop well enough to treat the image like putty and shrink only certain areas...I'll leave that to a graphics wizard. Where you say Spyderco doesn't change the ergonomics (of a smaller version of the same knife) in any way other than size, well, "that sentence is kind of a blanket statement and not entirely accurate."
LOL Okay. There’s no need for you to take things so personally. This discussion no longer feels productive, I’ll end it here.
- Nick :bug-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Liquify! That's the Photoshop command that allows a sort of plastic manipulation; never used it before. Kinda fun. So I played around with it and tried to make my own first draft of a Mini Manix. I'm not saying this is, or should be, what Spyderco would do to the Manix. But if they did make something like this, I'd buy it. (Please ignore the distorted clip slots!)
Attachments
Red Mini manix 7e.jpg
Crox

Post by Crox »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:02 pm
Liquify! That's the Photoshop command that allows a sort of plastic manipulation; never used it before. Kinda fun. So I played around with it and tried to make my own first draft of a Mini Manix. I'm not saying this is, or should be, what Spyderco would do to the Manix. But if they did make something like this, I'd buy it. (Please ignore the distorted clip slots!)
Can you make mine in a different color?

Just joking 🙃

Looks great and represents what I would be after 👍
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Crox wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:00 pm
You got it, man. And did you want your Mini Manix with a black blade and a white thumb stud cage?
Attachments
Red Mini manix 7f.jpg
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:28 am
You got it, man. And did you want your Mini Manix with a black blade and a white thumb stud?
No, no thumb studs allowed on the Spyderco forum. =P
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Crox

Post by Crox »

Bolster wrote:
Crox wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:00 pm
You got it, man. And did you want your Mini Manix with a black blade and a white thumb stud?
Those must be M4 and S110v. Approved!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Donut wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:43 am
Bolster wrote:

Oof, my bad! I mean, "White cage." Apologies all around.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Donut wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:43 am
Bolster wrote:
That is not exactly true... Remember the Spyderco Solo? :winking-tongue
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

apollo wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:40 am
Remember the Spyderco Solo? :winking-tongue

Wow! You taught me something! Look at that! Spyderco Solo! What is that horizontal growth on the blade where the hole should be?

apollo

Post by apollo »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:34 am
apollo wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:40 am
Remember the Spyderco Solo? :winking-tongue

Wow! You taught me something! Look at that! Spyderco Solo! What is that horizontal growth on the blade where the hole should be?

How fun would it be if they would make a sprint of that design. :cheap-sunglasses
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Oooh, I like that!