Shaman w/Back Lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FeistyKat

Shaman w/Back Lock

Post by FeistyKat »

What are the odds?

Could this ever come to be?

All my Spyderco knives have had back locks, going all the way back to my Native II AUS-10 Stainless folder & even before that to knives I bought from Sal at the Del Mar Fair, and I just expect a Spyderco to have that nice "press the back button, close the blade" action. It's so organic.

I love my Shaman, it's my EDC, the weight, the blade, everything is perfect, except for the lock.

I'm sure it would require a lot of work to modify the Shaman to a back lock, but BOY that would be the perfect knife for me!

What do you say, Sal? Could you whip one up for me?
Coastal

Re: Shaman w/Back Lock

Post by Coastal »

That, and a 3mm-thick blade, would cause me to buy a Shaman.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

We've asked for this before. IIRC Sal said there isn't space in the current design for a backlock mechanism...

I too would like one, but...
phaust

Post by phaust »

There are a bunch of Shaman versions that have been in the pipeline for years. The choilless was mentioned nearly when the original came out. I imagine you'd be talking a decade or more at this point if they had the intent and popped it on the back of the list.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

A shaman with a backlock is basicly an old lockback Manix in a slightly different form so i fear i do not see it happen since they also do not want to revive the Manix in its old glory. ( Not that there is anything wrong with the cbbl i love it as wel )
But i would love and buy the lockback Shaman in a heartbeat given it stays the way it is beafy with liners and the thick bladestock.
To those complaining about the blade stock there are thinners blades enough people go collect the 999 different versions of the pm2 , para 3 ,... if you like thinner blades!
So stop taking the few tanks that are left ! :squinting-tongue wish the Manix line still had there thicker blades. Still can not believe why they changed it, the lock okay but the blade is so amazing it really did not need to loose its thickness. My beloved lockback Manixes are as slicy as all my Manix2's.
Last edited by apollo on Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The blade is so broad, it closes very deep into the handle and would at least need to be a lot shorter in height to allow space for a lock and back spacer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Just changing the lock makes it a whole new knife. Locks are not modular like blade shapes and scales.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Hmmm, looking at the CS AD-10 and how similar it is to the Shaman...I think a backlock Shaman could be done with some design tweaks.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:55 am
Hmmm, looking at the CS AD-10 and how similar it is to the Shaman...I think a backlock Shaman could be done with some design tweaks.

I actually thought of this right after I posted my last comment. Still, after so many tweaks eventually it does become a different model.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThrottleCable

Post by ThrottleCable »

While the Shaman with a backlock is likely not possible, I'd love one with a Walker liner lock. That should be possible in the same form factor.

If the blade is thinned, I'd not be interested. There are lots of thin blades with delicate tips available in Spyderco's lineup as it is.

For me, the compression lock is in the wrong place all the time, both for using the knife and for closing the knife, which is a shame, as I like its locking mechanism. Perhaps a compression lock that is actuated from the open side (leaving the back of the knife untouched), like a Walker liner lock, but using the compression lock's locking mechanism. That I could get behind.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Man, I would love to hear the sound of that back lock snapping into place.

Can't say that I think a liner lock would be anything but a step backward, though.

I'm just waiting for a lighter weight Shaman. I love it as is, but I would also love a lightweight version with a thinner grind.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.