why does the lil' native have minimal jimping?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sethwm

why does the lil' native have minimal jimping?

Post by sethwm »

Just like what the subject says. The lil' native is smooth in the finger choil and generally smooth on the spine except for a 3 grooves (jimps?) adjacent to the liner. I'm just curious why the design choice to make this generally smooth. In contrast, the dragonfly, native 5, and shaman have more jimps.
Mushroom

Re: why does the lil' native have minimal jimping?

Post by Mushroom »

It’s better that way! ;)
- Nick :bug-red
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:22 am
It’s better that way! ;)
lol, tell me more
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

It should have jimping on fingerchoil. Finish in this knife is very slippy and handle size forces you to grab it with fingerchoil.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I fail to see how using this knife with the finger choil makes it any more slippier. In fact it's one of the more secure knives out there when gripping it with the choil.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I would like Jimping on the front and back. It's always good to try different things. But having tried it, I prefer Jimping.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems to be a deliberate design choice when other similarly small models like the Dragonfly has it. Then again you never know what kind of feedback Spyderco has gotten, we forum folks may prefer it but Spyderco may be hearing from a much larger audience that others do not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

All those nine-fingered old timers who used classic traditional-styled knives with no locks and no jimping for their entire lives. The horror. 😱
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:06 am
Seems to be a deliberate design choice when other similarly small models like the Dragonfly has it. Then again you never know what kind of feedback Spyderco has gotten, we forum folks may prefer it but Spyderco may be hearing from a much larger audience that others do not.
Jimping is just adding cost to it.

I would like to have it in mine but I'm not going to make one with file or apllying some tape like one guy did on aluminium handles in Ayoobs.
Last edited by Michal O on Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am okay without it, but if I had my druthers it would have jimping top and bottom like my Cat.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:29 am
All those nine-fingered old timers who used classic traditional-styled knives with no locks and no jimping for their entire lives. The horror. 😱
:grin-squint
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:32 am
I am okay without it, but if I had my druthers it would have jimping top and bottom like my Cat.
same
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Michal O wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:26 am
Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:06 am
Jimping is just adding cost to it.

I would like to have it in mine but I'm not going to make one with file or apllying some tape like one guy did on aluminium handles in Ayoobs.
I don't think it's _just_ adding cost, there's a functional reason to have it. Painting solid gold black for their black clips just adds cost. ;-)
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I have an OG Dragonfly SS that has no jumping and I don’t like it.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Lack of jimping is a deal breaker for me on models like this. I'm always for more jimping.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:59 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:22 am
It’s better that way! ;)
lol, tell me more
In my experience, Jimping is an easy way to cause a hotspot and subsequently a blister. Especially in extended use. I find the grip of the Lil Native without jimping to be sufficient for all of my needs. In general, I’m not “anti-jimping” but there are just some models I find to be advantageous without it. The Lil Native is one of them.

Although technically, the Lil Native actually does have jimping on the liners and there’s a tiny section of jimping on the spine. It’s minimal but not entirely useless.

Other than personal preference, what reasons are there for the Lil Native needing jimping? Does adding it to the Lil Native offer any advantage?

Still with all that said, the Lil Native Lightweight prototype was shown off with jimping so there will eventually be a Lil Native variant with jimping. I’d still prefer no jimping on the Lil Native LW but it is what it is, I’ll deal with it. I was glad to see the Lil Native Wharncliffe in Reveal 11 does not have any additional jimping.

———
sethwm wrote: I don't think it's _just_ adding cost, there's a functional reason to have it. Painting solid gold black for their black clips just adds cost. ;-)
I don't think it adds to the cost much, if at all. Jimping is not added through its own process, it is cut into the blade when the blades themselves are cut from the sheet metal. Jimping will probably increase the overall time to cut all of the blades but probably not by much.
twinboysdad wrote: I have an OG Dragonfly SS that has no jumping and I don’t like it.
Thats funny to me because jimping was the main reason I didn’t like carrying the Dragonfly at work. When I got the Tattoo Dragonfly, I immediately noticed and appreciated the lack of jimping.

I noticed the same thing when I got the Kahr Arms Delica. It didn’t have any jimping and it quickly became one of my favorite work knives because I wasn’t getting hotspots the way I was with my other Delicas.
- Nick :bug-red
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I didn't find the factory G10 or lack of jimping on the Lil Native to be inadequate in any way, but when I swapped the scales for Allen Putman's grooved G10s, they improved the handling 100%. The texture really locks the little guy in your hand, even without jimping.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I miss the jimping, and believe it adds a more premium feel. Without it the lil native just feels unfinished to me, especially compared to the rest of the current Native family. Glad some people like it better.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The old lockback Manix also had minor jimping and i prefer it to the Manix 2 / XL “overjimping”
Some designs are just so good in hand that jimping is not needed at all.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My Lil Native is a proper backlock. It is smooth all the way, top and bottom. I like it just fine. However, as I said, if I had my druthers I have jimping, but I am okay either way. It is not a deal breaker for me. There are advantages to both designs, as there are disadvantages.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050