Please help me pick my first spydie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

GB2 or Maxamet PM2

Gayle Bradley 2 in CPM M4
68%
Para Military 2 in Maxamet
32%

Total votes: 28

Surfingringo

Re: Please help me pick my first spydie

Post by Surfingringo »

Hi Bass, welcome to the forum. Those are two excellent models you are looking at and I think you will be happy with either. The M4 will be a bit tougher, the Maxamet a bit harder. I have multiple users in both steels and I’d say I prefer Maxamet. Great edge performance, amazingly easy to sharpen for such a high performance steel and I have never had any issues with chipping or edge damage. As far as the tips go, I use my knives hard and have never broken the tip on a PM2. As long as you aren’t doing anything unrealistic that should not be an issue for you either.

You said you might be able to go to a gun/knife show? I’d wait on that if its a possibility. Either will perform great for what you outlined and it really comes down to which one fits your hand better and speaks to you.

I know a few others mentioned it but if you go to a show, it’s worth taking a look at some of the Salt knives too. Even if you aren’t really in corrosive environments, many of those knives are some of the best “workhorses” of the Spyderco lineup. Lightweight but tough as nails, tough steels and maintenance free. I think everyone should own at least one knife from the Salt lineup.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:22 am
Hi Bass, welcome to the forum. Those are two excellent models you are looking at and I think you will be happy with either. The M4 will be a bit tougher, the Maxamet a bit harder. I have multiple users in both steels and I’d say I prefer Maxamet. Great edge performance, amazingly easy to sharpen for such a high performance steel and I have never had any issues with chipping or edge damage. As far as the tips go, I use my knives hard and have never broken the tip on a PM2. As long as you aren’t doing anything unrealistic that should not be an issue for you either.

You said you might be able to go to a gun/knife show? I’d wait on that if its a possibility. Either will perform great for what you outlined and it really comes down to which one fits your hand better and speaks to you.

I know a few others mentioned it but if you go to a show, it’s worth taking a look at some of the Salt knives too. Even if you aren’t really in corrosive environments, many of those knives are some of the best “workhorses” of the Spyderco lineup. Lightweight but tough as nails, tough steels and maintenance free. I think everyone should own at least one knife from the Salt lineup.

Enjoy whatever you decide on.

I think my best option is to go to a show and see which fits my hand and speaks to me like you said.
Knives I'm considering...
GB2
PM2 in Cruwear or Maxamet
M4 Shaman
Will take a look at the Salt lineup

Thanks for the input
Men are like bank accounts...

Without a lot of money they don't generate a lot of interest
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Salt lineup is a good option for a work knife. That is a good recommendation worth investigating. Easy peasy cleanup if nothing else. I have a Pac Salt 2 in LC200N but honestly I would prefer an H1 HG Pac Salt 2 as a work horse. I like the extra heft in hand and the HG blade seems pretty indestructible. Plus it looks cooler.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:36 am
Salt lineup is a good option for a work knife. That is a good recommendation worth investigating. Easy peasy cleanup if nothing else. I have a Pac Salt 2 in LC200N but honestly I would prefer an H1 HG Pac Salt 2 as a work horse. I like the extra heft in hand and the HG blade seems pretty indestructible. Plus it looks cooler.
Are spyderco lock backs good? have yet to find anything from spyderco that isn't :open-grin

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:40 am
JSumm wrote:
Are spyderco lock backs good? have yet to find anything from spyderco that isn't :open-grin
They are good. They are also designed to one hand close which is great!
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:02 pm
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:40 am
JSumm wrote:
They are good. They are also designed to one hand close which is great!
If the GB2 was compression locked it would be sold, but its not :( I'm thinking Shaman but I have no idea, it's hard to judge off pictures.

Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:42 am
Hopweaver wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:41 am
DLT PM2 in S90V for the win!!!! I love S90V.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... s90v-blade
I heard its a pain to sharpen but will take a look.
Thanks for the reply

EDIT: How do you like spyderco's DLC coating?
I have the Spyderco Military in S90V. I can easily keep it sharp with the Sypderco Sharpmaker. I have not noticed the difficulty sharpening S90V as others on this forum frequently suggest. I also don't let it get completely dull either. It only takes a few seconds to touch it up with the Sharpmaker after use.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Hopweaver wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:09 pm
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:42 am
Hopweaver wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:41 am
DLT PM2 in S90V for the win!!!! I love S90V.

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-par ... s90v-blade
I heard its a pain to sharpen but will take a look.
Thanks for the reply

EDIT: How do you like spyderco's DLC coating?
I have the Spyderco Military in S90V. I can easily keep it sharp with the Sypderco Sharpmaker. I have not noticed the difficulty sharpening S90V as others on this forum frequently suggest. I also don't let it get completely dull either. It only takes a few seconds to touch it up with the Sharpmaker after use.
I have it down to these knives...

GB2 I like the BTE thickness and slicing ability while still being tough
PM2... will decide what steel if I enjoy the feel of the knife
M4 Shaman I like the robustness of the knife and compression lock
MABYE a pacific salt 2

Military is too big for my liking

RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:16 pm

MABYE a pacific salt 2

Of those that you mentioned, the PM2 is pretty nice. It's by far the prettiest of the four. I really like a tall Spydie Hump for my thumb. The size hits the sweet spot, and the compression lock is pretty cool. The only down side to the compression lock is that it's mostly for right-handed people. I'm left handed, and it's ok, but I'd be happier if all the PM2's were left-handed. I don't know all the steels available, but Cruwear is one of them. It would be a good choice.

You also mentioned the Pacific Salt 2. If I'm not mistaken, it's a corrosion resistant version of the Endura. I think the Endura epitomizes the whole Spyderco experience. It's the Goldilocks size, has the hump, is small for the amount of blade edge, and the back lock is bulletproof. For me, I don't care about the Salt. I'm not Captain Nemo, I don't live under the sea, and corrosion is not a concern. The Endura is available with K390 steel, which is a metal more precious than gold.

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:06 pm
kissmyba$$69 wrote:

MABYE a pacific salt 2

Of those that you mentioned, the PM2 is pretty nice. It's by far the prettiest of the four. I really like a tall Spydie Hump for my thumb. The size hits the sweet spot, and the compression lock is pretty cool. The only down side to the compression lock is that it's mostly for right-handed people. I'm left handed, and it's ok, but I'd be happier if all the PM2's were left-handed. I don't know all the steels available, but Cruwear is one of them. It would be a good choice.

You also mentioned the Pacific Salt 2. If I'm not mistaken, it's a corrosion resistant version of the Endura. I think the Endura epitomizes the whole Spyderco experience. It's the Goldilocks size, has the hump, is small for the amount of blade edge, and the back lock is bulletproof. For me, I don't care about the Salt. I'm not Captain Nemo, I don't live under the sea, and corrosion is not a concern. The Endura is available with K390 steel, which is a metal more precious than gold.

The only problem I would have with the PM2 is that I use the tip of a knife A LOT when cutting, wood, boxes, feed bags. I just don't know. I am not a fan of the back lock, although I have never used spydercos version of the lock. Will take a look at K390, I've heard is great.

Retlawman590

Post by Retlawman590 »

PM2!!!!
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Retlawman590 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:16 pm
PM2!!!!
Any problems with the tip?

Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:14 pm
RustyIron wrote:
kissmyba$$69 wrote:

MABYE a pacific salt 2

The only problem I would have with the PM2 is that I use the tip of a knife A LOT when cutting, wood, boxes, feed bags. I just don't know. I am not a fan of the back lock, although I have never used spydercos version of the lock. Will take a look at K390, I've heard is great.
You asked for suggestions so I’ll give you mine. From what you’ve said you’re after and what your looking at? Get the Shaman. It’s a beast of a knife, tough steel, strong tip, the lock you want, and the contoured handles make that one the most comfortable and refined feeling of the three in my opinion.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I really don't think the tips are much different on the PM2 and GB2. In fact, the blade stock on the GB2 is thinner. It just doesn't have the same kind of distal taper the PM2 has so the tips end up being about the same. FWIW

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

hollow grinds are just sexier though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:10 pm
kissmyba$$69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:14 pm
RustyIron wrote:
kissmyba$$69 wrote:

MABYE a pacific salt 2

You asked for suggestions so I’ll give you mine. From what you’ve said you’re after and what your looking at? Get the Shaman. It’s a beast of a knife, tough steel, strong tip, the lock you want, and the contoured handles make that one the most comfortable and refined feeling of the three in my opinion.
Thank you for you post! How do you think the Shaman will do with carving wood compared to the GB2?

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:17 pm
hollow grinds are just sexier though.
facts

kissmyba$$69

Post by kissmyba$$69 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:11 pm
I really don't think the tips are much different on the PM2 and GB2. In fact, the blade stock on the GB2 is thinner. It just doesn't have the same kind of distal taper the PM2 has so the tips end up being about the same. FWIW

Good point, never really considered that. The GB2 tip does seem more supported though as the PM2 goes straight down to a point and the GB2 is a rectangle for an inch or so then goes down into a point. I probably explained that horribly, sorry if there is any confusion.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Yes, there is more meat below the tip of the GB2. But I don't think the tip of the PM2 is an issue.

Definitely, need to get these in hand if you can.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
rashman

Post by rashman »

I like all of your picks! If I could only have one - it would be the cruwear micarta PM2.
please take in consideration that as i’ve gotten older the high polished G10, CF & micarta is too slippery for me for an EDC knife. the shaman is awesome, but I had to change the scales to a rough micarta to hold on to it. same for the GB2 and the liner lock has been hard to get access and modifications were needed. I always find the PM2 in my pocket more for its size and weight - I have the PM2 in maxamet and the cruwear micarta version - those are the top two in my rotation with no modifications needed for my use.
Ultimately get the one you want / like the most bestist! ha!
if ya want lock back - i’d go for a SS Stretch K390 that’s an awesome knife too
current fav’s: K390 SS Stretch, PM2 CruWear Mircata, P.I.T.S., Subway Bowie