Where to sell...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
1penge

Where to sell...?

Post by 1penge »

Excluding Ebay, where else (on-line) can you sell your quality pocket knives?
I've had a life long interest in pocket knives, but would not consider myself either a collector or a knife enthusiast.

As a long time fly tier & a fly fisher, I have developed a love for "classic fly fishing gear". To learn more I joined the Classic Fly Rod Forum & the Fiberglass Flyrodders. Both of these on-line groups have given me a wealth of information about classic fly reels & vintage or modern fiberglass rods. Both of these groups have a "Wanted, Buy, Sell" sub-forum in which the members can offer gear for sale or as a swap. I have both bought & sold items on these two sites with a certain confidence, that I'd be treated fairly. The communication for sales are done through a PM system, or at the buyer's/seller's discretion, by email. The majority of participants are fly fishing gear enthusiasts, so already there's some level of trust in these transactions. Most of the adverts are accurate & honest, so there is a level of confidence in these buy & sells.

My experience with Ebay has been like being in the Wild West. As a result, I will not get anything from there. I do not believe that there is a sub forum on the Spyderco Forums where buy & sell is conducted.
So, other than Fleabay,... where do knife folks go to sell their knives or to buy "much loved" quality blades? (Particularly those interested knife folk who struggle with technology, like the author here.)

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
sal

Re: Where to sell...?

Post by sal »

Hi 1Penge,

Welcome to our forum.

One of our regulars here, Vivi, has set up a site that might work for you. Some of the folks here can provide info on how to find it.

sal
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Bladeforums.com has many sales forums for fixed blades, folding knives, customs, etc. r/spydercoswap on Reddit is a for sale/wanted subreddit for users of this forum, which I think vivi moderates. There is also r/Knife_Swap which is very active.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

There's a group on Facebook for buying/selling/trading Spyderco knives.
I've found it to be useful.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1626991017561904
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

The reddit knife_swap, bladeforums, vivi's Spyderco swap, Facebook groups
sparty569

Post by sparty569 »

EDIT: Was beat to it.
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Believe EBay was good long ago, today too many fraudsters, counterfeiters, and people who low ball.

Use to be couple of knife show annually were I live, there werenplaces collectors gathered.
1penge

Post by 1penge »

Thank you to Sal & All other posters.

I will try to reach out to Vivi's site re: knife buy/sell possibilities. Bladeforums.com & Reddit may also be the way to go. Very useful info by all. I want to join these groups just to learn more about the present-day blade scene.

Must confess though, that Reddit & such groups have scared me off. (Saw Reditt come up during my searches, but I could not access the info.) I must have sweated bullets just establishing myself as a member, on the two fly fishing related forums that I mentioned in my original post (I have not been able to resume my membership at the Classic Flyrod Forum, because of some glitch in how I identified myself, after a power outage knocked me off the site. Even with my wife's help, we have not been able to get back onto the CFR Forum.)
Seriously, I get so confused trying to come up with the user names or safe passwords needed on most on-line platforms. I must still live in another distant age, free "mostly" from computers, cellphones & social media. Yet even this post is done on a laptop.

That said, I'm still interested in looking into the "buy/sell/swap" possibilities on-line. In the 90s, my knife enthusiast buddy & I used to regularly visit the annual knife show in Toronto. There, you could order or buy knives from makers & vendors. You could marvel over the custom blades that you could never afford. I particularly remember ordering a custom "bolo" tie from an incredibly talented Quebec scrimshaw artist.
But I digress. Thanks again for all your suggestions. I would be very interested in hearing about positive experiences while using any of these platforms.

Istvan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just be like me and never sell anything and bury yourself under a pile of slightly used knives. It's awesome.

Like you, I find myself not very trusting of selling to random people online. A group like Vivi's is a step towards something safer but I still hesitate. I've resigned myself to just hanging onto them all and my kids will someday inherit them and will hopefully enjoy them like I have. If not then someday in the future there will be a couple new members on here asking where to sell a bunch of vintage sprints lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
1penge

Post by 1penge »

Evil D., I agree with you about being cautious about dealings on-line.
My buying & selling of classic fishing tackle on the internet , has been for the most part successful. It was comforting to be dealing with folks who understand & share in one's interests. I only had one disappointing episode, when a so called "near mint" Hardy St George fly reel turned out to be an abused beater that cost me more than 200.00 CAD extra to repair. At the same time, I've had some very positive interactions with people I met on-line.
Not only did I buy & sell some quality stuff, I also acquired good friends with whom I still keep in touch.

I'd think it would be similar while participating on any of the knife related forums. There may be a few bad actors lurking on-line platforms who want to take advantage, but I'm sure they're a tiny minority.
David, the image of being buried under a pile of pattern welded blades is truly intriguing. Istvan
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Evil D has that Sage wisdom. Should you choose to ignore it though, knife_swap is the way to go. I’ve regrettfully sold a few knives there.