Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you be interested in a "Spyderhawk 2" with features similar to the Tasman Salt 2?

Yes, I would be very interested in a redesigned Spyderhawk.
43%
Maybe, but I'd probably be just as happy if they did another Sprint Run of the old Spyderhawk.
36%
No, I'm not really interested in this model.
21%

Total votes: 95

JD Spydo

Re: Interest in a Spyderhawk 2?

Post by JD Spydo »

max808 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:48 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:24 am
It's just incredible how good of a gardening tool the Spyderhawk is. And sure if they can improve a knife which to me was a winner to begin with I'm all in. However with the limited market share of Hawkbill blades you can't expect Spyderco to make one that would have super fancy locking systems or super high end handles like Carbon Fiber or Titanium.

I've held out hope for a long time that we could at least maybe get a Spyderhawk and/or Harpy with a nice G-10 handle. I think that would really make it a rugged tool. The two Hawkbills I use the most are the Harpy and Spyderhawk. I would love to see both of them with G-10 handles and maybe full flat grind blades. And I do hope they take this thread into consideration.
Yes Sir, a G-10 handle for the Harpy and Spyderhawk would be awesome, and why not offer it in VG-10 to somewhat expedite the process and keep it affordable, thus appealing to more people. With your perfekt strategy for conquering the lawn & garden share this could become a regular production model, proudly made in Seki-City Japan.

SE FFG on a hawkbill?!? Is this even possible? If it is, sign me up!
That might be a great strategy to go with VG-10. Because I've stated for years that VG-10 is a great blade steel for serrated edges and it's not bad at all for plain edges if you don't mind sharpening it often ( I love sharpening myself). No you would not need a state of the art "supersteel" for this type of blade. VG-10 blade steel would be more than adequate.

As I've previously stated if a reputable Lawn, Garden or Landscaping catalog like A.M. Leonard or some other business similar to them were to put the Spyderhawk model in their catalog you might be surprised how quickly they would fly off the shelves. I've gotten acquainted with a couple of gardening clubs here locally and I an assure you most of these folks have money and they take their hobby very serious. They even have "Master Gardener" ranks you can earn if you jump through enough hoops to attain that level. And most of them use nothing but Swiss made FELCO, CORONA and other high dollar tools for their activities. Most of these folks are not "Rip-Mart" bargain hunters when it comes to tools for their favorite hobby.

But the market would not be confined just to that one sector. I'm sure that places like "Bass Pro", Cabelas and other stores would sell them at a rapid rate as well.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:14 pm
Takuan wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:29 pm
Maybe the Superhawk and the Caribbean could be merged to create a Salty Superhawk with a groovy G-10 handle. The Caribbean is one of my favorite Spydercos, so having one with a Superhawk-style LC200N (or MagnaCut) hawkbill blade would be amazing.
This I would like to try. Maybe you could launch a new poll to get Spyderco’s attention.
It might look a bit like this, though I think the choil would need to be eliminated so that the edge was pushed up near the handle like on the Caribbean:

It would need to be named after some type of Caribbean hawk, like the Nacunda nighthawk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacunda_nighthawk). If you think there might be interest, I'll create a new thread.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Takuan wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:19 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Takuan wrote:
Maybe the Superhawk and the Caribbean could be merged to create a Salty Superhawk with a groovy G-10 handle. The Caribbean is one of my favorite Spydercos, so having one with a Superhawk-style LC200N (or MagnaCut) hawkbill blade would be amazing.
This I would like to try. Maybe you could launch a new poll to get Spyderco’s attention.
It might look a bit like this, though I think the choil would need to be eliminated so that the edge was pushed up near the handle like on the Caribbean:

It would need to be named after some type of Caribbean hawk, like the Nacunda nighthawk (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nacunda_nighthawk). If you think there might be interest, I'll create a new thread.
Once you mentioned pushing the edge to the handle, I was ready for a different hawkbill poll.
-Marc (pocketing a Cruwear Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Takuan wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:19 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Takuan wrote:

Hey I like that Caribbean handle with a SUPERHAWK balde. That's a cool idea.

However I still want a Spyderhawk 2 at some point. Maybe it's high time to dig up my old thread entitled "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill" which ran over 100 pages. Because truly NOW IS THE TIME FOR A NEWER/BETTER HAWKBILL folder
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

I created a new thread with a poll to discuss the possibility of a FFG Caribbean: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93176. Thanks to wrdwrght for encouraging me!
--Socrates
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just some loud thinking from my side ...

A knife with this kind of blade shape is most often going to be held in hammer grip - with the tip pointing down or up. With that line of thought - I would prefer to see the blade implemented in a knife whose handle was designed primarily for that kind of grip. And in my view - Endura handle (and the same goes for Endela or Delica) was designed around the 'saber' grip (thumb on the ramp). Naively - I would probably find the idea of hawk like blade in Caribbean or maybe Rockjumper more interesting.

... just my very personal opinion, please don't stone me for it.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

Matus wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:19 am
Just some loud thinking from my side ...

A knife with this kind of blade shape is most often going to be held in hammer grip - with the tip pointing down or up. With that line of thought - I would prefer to see the blade implemented in a knife whose handle was designed primarily for that kind of grip. And in my view - Endura handle (and the same goes for Endela or Delica) was designed around the 'saber' grip (thumb on the ramp). Naively - I would probably find the idea of hawk like blade in Caribbean or maybe Rockjumper more interesting.

... just my very personal opinion, please don't stone me for it.
Good point! The type of pull-cuts used with a hawkbill don’t benefit much from a thumb ramp. I tend to use my Spyderhawk and Tasman Salt with a hammer grip or an inverse hammer grip (edge up, where the thumb ramp acts almost like a guard against my index finger). One of my favorite things about the Caribbean is the minimal thumb ramp, which gives just enough purchase without getting in the way of other grips.
--Socrates
max808

Post by max808 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:51 am
max808 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
It's just incredible how good of a gardening tool the Spyderhawk is. And sure if they can improve a knife which to me was a winner to begin with I'm all in. However with the limited market share of Hawkbill blades you can't expect Spyderco to make one that would have super fancy locking systems or super high end handles like Carbon Fiber or Titanium.

I've held out hope for a long time that we could at least maybe get a Spyderhawk and/or Harpy with a nice G-10 handle. I think that would really make it a rugged tool. The two Hawkbills I use the most are the Harpy and Spyderhawk. I would love to see both of them with G-10 handles and maybe full flat grind blades. And I do hope they take this thread into consideration.
Yes Sir, a G-10 handle for the Harpy and Spyderhawk would be awesome, and why not offer it in VG-10 to somewhat expedite the process and keep it affordable, thus appealing to more people. With your perfekt strategy for conquering the lawn & garden share this could become a regular production model, proudly made in Seki-City Japan.

That might be a great strategy to go with VG-10. Because I've stated for years that VG-10 is a great blade steel for serrated edges and it's not bad at all for plain edges if you don't mind sharpening it often ( I love sharpening myself). No you would not need a state of the art "supersteel" for this type of blade. VG-10 blade steel would be more than adequate.

As I've previously stated if a reputable Lawn, Garden or Landscaping catalog like A.M. Leonard or some other business similar to them were to put the Spyderhawk model in their catalog you might be surprised how quickly they would fly off the shelves. I've gotten acquainted with a couple of gardening clubs here locally and I an assure you most of these folks have money and they take their hobby very serious. They even have "Master Gardener" ranks you can earn if you jump through enough hoops to attain that level. And most of them use nothing but Swiss made FELCO, CORONA and other high dollar tools for their activities. Most of these folks are not "Rip-Mart" bargain hunters when it comes to tools for their favorite hobby.

But the market would not be confined just to that one sector. I'm sure that places like "Bass Pro", Cabelas and other stores would sell them at a rapid rate as well.
You're preaching to the choir here JD. My VG-10 C12 is over a decade old and I'm embarrassed to admit has never been sharpened but is razorsharp to this day. It's been used to cut tape and open boxes for years with not a mark on it but it does require some maintenance and discipline. After cutting any kind of tape, especially industrial tape I just use a lil zippo fuel to clean the tip and earlier this year I tried Evil D's method and cleaned the inside and liners with q-tips dipped in fuel. The very noticeable spotting from carrying iwb came off easily and my first and second Spydie ever is mint again but feeling a bit lonely now since that ridiculously awesome YoJumbo was delivered.

Happy for you Sir that you are part of a green fingers community and yes from my own experience most of them are well funded and very passionate. So a Spyderhawk even in premium materials would be a hot ticket in those circles and has proven its effectiveness in the field from all the accounts on here. Only reason I don't use mine is I feel like the civilian outshines it in every way, not by much but enough to not use it. That said put me down for a black G-10 Spyderhawk/Harpy combo package would you JD. With all the complaints about broken tips and such, why not bust out the CruWear while we're at it...
:cheap-sunglasses

You have a good weekend Sir and stay safe out there,
max
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

:respect :bug-red-white :respect
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

max808 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:26 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:51 am
max808 wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

You're preaching to the choir here JD. My VG-10 C12 is over a decade old and I'm embarrassed to admit has never been sharpened but is razorsharp to this day. It's been used to cut tape and open boxes for years with not a mark on it but it does require some maintenance and discipline. After cutting any kind of tape, especially industrial tape I just use a lil zippo fuel to clean the tip and earlier this year I tried Evil D's method and cleaned the inside and liners with q-tips dipped in fuel. The very noticeable spotting from carrying iwb came off easily and my first and second Spydie ever is mint again but feeling a bit lonely now since that ridiculously awesome YoJumbo was delivered.

Happy for you Sir that you are part of a green fingers community and yes from my own experience most of them are well funded and very passionate. So a Spyderhawk even in premium materials would be a hot ticket in those circles and has proven its effectiveness in the field from all the accounts on here. Only reason I don't use mine is I feel like the civilian outshines it in every way, not by much but enough to not use it. That said put me down for a black G-10 Spyderhawk/Harpy combo package would you JD. With all the complaints about broken tips and such, why not bust out the CruWear while we're at it...
:cheap-sunglasses

You have a good weekend Sir and stay safe out there,
max
Hey Max I'm glad to see that someone bumped this great old thread up again. I think it's high time we started chatting about the resurrection of the Spyderhawk model. I think it's high time to see a Spyderhawk 2 with a slightly revamped design and hopefully at some point with a G-10 Handle. What would really be cool would be for there to be a matching set of a Harpy and Spyderhawk both with G-10 handles.

I still say that if Spyderco were to market their great Hawkbill blades in well known gardening catalogs like A. M. Leonard or Felco they would sell hundreds of them. Most of your "Master Gardeners" are very serious about their tools I've discovered.
max808

Post by max808 »

Hey Joe, I agree 100% with everything you just said!
:respect :usflag :respect
Go Chiefs!!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Curious if there's been any movement on resurrecting the Superhawk as well. Both the spyder and super hawks are such great knives.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:39 pm
Curious if there's been any movement on resurrecting the Superhawk as well. Both the spyder and super hawks are such great knives.
Not an official movement that I'm aware of but there is most definitely an undercurrent of avid Spyderco Hawkbill fans that have been asking for another Spyderhawk for quite some time now.

And I do know that my good Spyder-Brother "Zrow" has been a dedicated Hawkbill fan for a long time ( especially the Spyderhawk). Yeah we've just got to get this done for sure somehow, someway. It's about as high on my list as the hope for a Salt Series version of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. I ain't gonna quit on either one of the aforementioned. I still got that Orange Sprint Run the guys gave me about 3 years ago and I've been getting tempted to break it in
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

If I could pick one knife to bring back it would be the Spyderhawk. I really don't understand the the lack of a Spyderhawk 2 in H1 SE in the permanent lineup.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:36 am
If I could pick one knife to bring back it would be the Spyderhawk. I really don't understand the the lack of a Spyderhawk 2 in H1 SE in the permanent lineup.
I can't quite remember which one of you lobbied for a Spyderhawk model with a "Full Flat Grind" blade some time back. And I'm not going to re-read everything to find out either. Actually I think there was more than one person that wanted to see that happen. But I'm thinking that might be a great feature for a new version of the Spyderhawk. But I'm beginning to think that additional subtle changes like a full flat grind blade, G-10 handle and maybe even possibly offering a Combo edged model as an option might get some people's attention. Or any other attractive changes that could stir interest.

Again I think you can't overlook the Spyderhawk for landscaping and gardening chores. Many people are not aware that the Spyderhawk is an excellent tool for those types of cutting jobs. And it goes without saying that the Spyderhawk makes an excellent companion folder to work along side a great model like Para2, C-36 Military or any other premium plain edged model. Serrated Hawkbills make excellent companion blades for any top notch EDC blade IMO.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I'm still interested. A longer Hawkbill like the SpyderHawk would be great for climbing around mangroves and hooking lines or ropes. It's a little more specialized than a Wharncliffe, but that is actually a plus for me if I know that will be my primary task and I have the option to choose the most suitable knife. I would appreciate the extra reach and being to reach around or bypass things because of the recurve.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

They should just do a sprint run every five or ten years.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

shunsui wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:03 am
They should just do a sprint run every five or ten years.
Yeah at least every 3 to 5 years or so. But again I sure wish Sal & Co. would check out one of the Gardening catalogs like A. M. Leonard to sell some of the Hawkbill knives as well as some of the more popular full SE models. I don't believe the Harpy has ever been discontinued and I'm sure if they found the right vendors they could probably put the Spyderhawk back into their main line up again. The Salt version of the Spyderhawk sure changed the market for quite some time when it was introduced.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It would cost them some money to make molds for an updated handle for the Spyderhawk, unless the Endura handles will work?

I feel like the Spyderhawk and Superhawk are the knives people don't know they need. Hawkbills make such good utility knives though. Large and small.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

They used the existing Pac Salt handles (in a beautiful 😍 orange) for the last Sprint Run, so I assume the current generation of handles would work for a new one.