Stop Lock...What is it?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re:

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:03 pm
sharkattack wrote:Why can't the next gen Millie or Para use a lock back? They are simple, dependable, secure, and Spyderco makes some of the finest ones out there.

I've read numerous threads about people having blade play in their Paras, that it's prevented me from buying one. Having blade play or having to adjust a high end knife, to me, is not what I want. I just want to open it, use it, close it and not even think about it. That's what I love about my Spydies, all lock backs, they are rock solid and have never failed me.
When the question of why the Military is a liner lock was being debated on Bladeforums, Sal's contribution was pretty succinct. "You can make a liner lock lighter." That is what the Military is all about - light weight, high strength, big cutting power. To make a lockback as strong, I think they would have to add larger liners, a heavier lockbar, heavier spacer/spring holder, etc. It would become more like the Manix than the Military we know. I like it the way it is.

If you let the internet tales of bladeplay keep you from trying a certain knife, you are going to miss out on some fine pieces. Some people will whine about an amount of play that I can't even feel, let alone worry about.

But then my perception of what constitutes a high end knife is probably different than yours. What I call high end knives don't come off assembly lines. They are made piece by piece, one at a time, and each part is hand fitted by a craftsman. Spydies are good, but they are still production knives. Some will have more clearance between parts than others. I trust Spyderco to make it right if it doesn't meet their standards. If your standards are higher than theirs, well it may be time to look at other makers.

Sorry about the rant, but I have read way too many bladeplay whines that turn out to either be the result of knife abuse or someone's unreasonable expectations not being met.
Buck, for example, makes linerless back locks, so I don't think that's the issue. I tend to believe that the liner lock is easier to clean out and keep working than a back lock in the mud. I don't know. I would prefer a back lock Millie, that much I do know.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Michal O

Re: Stop Lock...What is it?

Post by Michal O »

Also Cold Steel is/was making linerless triadlocks. You can make backspacer for spring from G10, its durable. Or aluminium. Pocket clip isn't a problem. Especially if it would be wire clip.

Another nice idea is window lock used in Blocao by Miguel Barbudo. Spyderco could make with him some ethnic cooperation in future.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I have a seconds sale parata.
Note mine does not have the cqi stop pin that the standard parata has.
The lock on mine also seems to sit slightly out of alignment, making disengaging it with my left thumb much more difficult than my right thumb.

For the recent questions.

Play is probably the lock not seating all the way. Mine seemed to need some break in time as well as a correct pivot tension.

Mine certainly did not have as much self close bias as a backlock.

After fooling around with the stop lock, I really could not stand it. Im perfecty capable of operating it, I just didnt like it.

It is very difficult to reassamble if you take it apart.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Michal O

Post by Michal O »

Thanks, I saw Nick Shabazz video. I think it's just too complicated to mainetance and for production to be succesful. Compression lock is hard to replace with something different and better. I hope design like that will come back in Taichung production, with more simple solution.
Current collection: Lil Temperance G10, Shaman, Lil Native, Massad Ayoob cruwear, Smock, Street Beat, Street Bowie, Para 3, PM2 purple G10 cruwear, Canis, Rhino, Endura 4 K390, Watu, Kapara, Amalgam, Sliverax, Police 4 se K390, Police 4 pe K390, Khukuri, Barong, Ulize.
yablanowitz

Re: Re:

Post by yablanowitz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
sharkattack wrote:Why can't the next gen Millie or Para use a lock back? They are simple, dependable, secure, and Spyderco makes some of the finest ones out there.

I've read numerous threads about people having blade play in their Paras, that it's prevented me from buying one. Having blade play or having to adjust a high end knife, to me, is not what I want. I just want to open it, use it, close it and not even think about it. That's what I love about my Spydies, all lock backs, they are rock solid and have never failed me.
When the question of why the Military is a liner lock was being debated on Bladeforums, Sal's contribution was pretty succinct. "You can make a liner lock lighter." That is what the Military is all about - light weight, high strength, big cutting power. To make a lockback as strong, I think they would have to add larger liners, a heavier lockbar, heavier spacer/spring holder, etc. It would become more like the Manix than the Military we know. I like it the way it is.

If you let the internet tales of bladeplay keep you from trying a certain knife, you are going to miss out on some fine pieces. Some people will whine about an amount of play that I can't even feel, let alone worry about.

But then my perception of what constitutes a high end knife is probably different than yours. What I call high end knives don't come off assembly lines. They are made piece by piece, one at a time, and each part is hand fitted by a craftsman. Spydies are good, but they are still production knives. Some will have more clearance between parts than others. I trust Spyderco to make it right if it doesn't meet their standards. If your standards are higher than theirs, well it may be time to look at other makers.

Sorry about the rant, but I have read way too many bladeplay whines that turn out to either be the result of knife abuse or someone's unreasonable expectations not being met.
Buck, for example, makes linerless back locks, so I don't think that's the issue. I tend to believe that the liner lock is easier to clean out and keep working than a back lock in the mud. I don't know. I would prefer a back lock Millie, that much I do know.
So does Spyderco, now. The post you quoted was from 2007. So little changes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Re:

Post by Doc Dan »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:02 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:25 pm
yablanowitz wrote:

So does Spyderco, now. The post you quoted was from 2007. So little changes.
:winking-tongue :grin-smiling-eyes Well, nothing changes. I still can't read! hahaha!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

Man, for the longest time all we had was the patent information.

At least now we have the Ouroboros. It's a pretty neat lock if you ask me. My end user opinion is that it operates kind of like the ball bearing lock, but the release goes up/down instead of front/back.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!