C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mushroom

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by Mushroom »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:35 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:14 pm
This new Ayoob sprint is not tip down only, it has a four way clip so the lanyard hole would not have been functional with the old clip mounted tip up. It’s no longer pinned either, so the new clip allows access to the pivot screw with the clip mounted right hand tip down. Also, the Ayoob uses an hourglass clip not a spoon clip. :respect

In a previous post, I mentioned that the clip has to be removed for disassembly. The pivot screw is bigger than the hole in the clip. I put mine to tip up and it looks like part of the clip covers one of the body screws. If you are lefty, there should be no problem at all. I'll take a photo later as I don't have the knife on me (stupid Boston knife laws). In the grand scheme of things, it is not that big of a deal. This knife is not a Sage 2; taking it apart and putting it back together was more work than I anticipated. This is a minor issue really. I know taking our knives apart is made to be a "big deal" on YouTube, but it won't stop me from enjoying the Ayoob.
Ah, good to know. So it sounds like access to the pivot screw through the clip is not actually a feature. I suppose the new clip was intended more to facilitate a lanyard. I’d venture to guess it could have even been a cost saving measure as well.
- Nick :bug-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Mushroom wrote:
This new Ayoob sprint is not tip down only, it has a four way clip so the lanyard hole would not have been functional with the old clip mounted tip up. It’s no longer pinned either, so the new clip allows access to the pivot screw with the clip mounted right hand tip down. Also, the Ayoob uses an hourglass clip not a spoon clip. :respect
The spoon clip is the hourglass clip.

viewtopic.php?t=91771

I’m aware of the changes to this sprint and why they were made. I wasn’t asking why, I was voicing my opinion that I wished they had kept to the original design features like they’ve done with other sprints out of this factory.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Things are about to get real here...
intheclamps c.jpg
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:52 pm
Mushroom wrote:
The spoon clip is the hourglass clip.

viewtopic.php?t=91771

I’m aware of the changes to this sprint and why they were made. I wasn’t asking why, I was voicing my opinion that I wished they had kept to the original design features like they’ve done with other sprints out of this factory.
No, the spoon clip is not the hourglass clip. It is very often incorrectly referred to as such though.

This is a direct quote from Sal in the thread you just linked.
sal wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:18 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:48 am
SSD_777 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:26 am
What's a spoon clip?
That's the standard Spyderco clip. Shaped like a spoon.

We refer to that clip as the "hourglass" clip. The "spoon clip" was what was used on Bram Frank's "Gunting" model.

sal

One look at the spoon clip on the Gunting model and differentiating the two clips will never be easier.

———

I know you are aware of the changes made to this model but you’re not the only one who reads this forum. And for what it’s worth, yes, you actually did ask why.

You expressed your opinion, which is absolutely fine, I have no problems with that but then you posed two open questions after that. One of them being “Why didn’t they just use the original style clip?” Well, someone less informed than someone like yourself who is reading this forum might genuinely want to know the reason why. I guess my post was primarily for those people.

:respect
- Nick :bug-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Nashville Tactical Lounge... SpyderEdge... https://nashvilletacticallounge.com/col ... 2-84-c261p

Edit: see pic below
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
•• Beau
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:37 pm
Nashville Tactical Lounge... SpyderEdge... https://nashvilletacticallounge.com/col ... 2-84-c261p

Going to have a beer at my local Tactical Lounge! :woozy

The teeth at the tip look particularly crooked on this one! Time to see the local knife dentist. :smlling-eyes

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:54 pm
Buddafucco wrote:

The teeth at the tips look particularly crooked on this one! Time to see the local knife dentist. :smlling-eyes

Yep... 1 In Stk so that's probably it.
I'm not sure what a Tactical Lounge is but it apparently involves knives, cigars, liquor and bullets. :cheap-sunglasses Maybe somebody fromm Nashville has been there?
Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:35 pm
Well an hour and a half of going at it with my course stone and I'm finally hitting an apex and forming a burr at 19dps. Working real hard at making things even etc. Probably going to leave it in the clamps and get it finished tomorrow evening.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

troutinCO wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:08 pm
troutinCO wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:35 pm
Well an hour and a half of going at it with my course stone and I'm finally hitting an apex and forming a burr at 19dps. Working real hard at making things even etc. Probably going to leave it in the clamps and get it finished tomorrow evening.
IS that Cruwear that difficult to sharpen :hot-face ??? Sounds like sharpening 440V or ZDP-189 or something worse yet??

I guess it's a good thing that I enjoy sharpening. I had no idea that Cruwear was that much of a monster to sharpen :O

Well I better stock up with "Bar Keeper's Friend" cleanser. Nothing cleans Spyderco ceramic stones any better that I'm aware of.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:58 pm
RamZar wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:

The teeth at the tips look particularly crooked on this one! Time to see the local knife dentist. :smlling-eyes

I'm not sure what a Tactical Lounge is but it apparently involves knives, cigars, liquor and bullets. :cheap-sunglasses Maybe somebody fromm Nashville has been there?
It was a pretty nice place but no smoking and you couldn't buy the whiskey. Very nice selection of knives including some customs. Not from the area but was visiting a few months ago.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:36 pm
Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:58 pm
RamZar wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:

It was a pretty nice place but no smoking and you couldn't buy the whiskey. Very nice selection of knives including some customs. Not from the area but was visiting a few months ago.
Bought a few Microtechs from them a while back. Nothing to complain about or praise really. The knives were expensive but showed up as advertised.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I wouldn't say it is difficult at all really. It doesn't help that to get to 19dps, I've taken A LOT of metal off. Bevels were both well over 20dps and slightly off center, which is normal and acceptable, I'm going to tune it anyway(see below). I have it centered up now and got it down to 19dps. I'm just bringing up a burr on it so there isn't much left to go. I took my time doing all this too.
Also:I did not help myself by using the narrow stones in the Hapstone. I could take way more off, faster with the wide stones but I feel I have a little less control at the tip and heel of the knife. Sharpening is fun and nerdy for me so I enjoy doing it.
I'm happy that they left metal on though so this is NOT a complaint this is a complement. I can set the bevel to what I want and I like that.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Received my SE model today... what a unique and impressive knife.

Overall reaction - This is a really big knife hiding in a tiny package. I consider my biggest Spyderco to be the Shaman - this has more blade length with half the bulk. The handle is incredibly long, skinny, and thin. This would be the preferred model for the 6 fingered man from Princess Bride. I have to "choke up" on the handle to open one-handed. For all that length, it doesn't feel like a huge knife closed. The short profile and thin construction make it feel like a pretty small knife, deceptively so.

While I might worry the "skinny"/"short" profile could make a knife feel easily broken, I'm not worried about that in the least. The backlock and flush spring really make this feel like a clean, crisp, solidly built knife. Mine weighed in at 4.85 ounces, which isn't the 7 ounces of a Buck 110 (some other similarities there) but isn't the 2.5 ounces of my Pac Salt. The weight gives it a sturdy feeling. If it really were a smaller knife, the weight might be a tad heavy, but I think it's great for the knife it is. The balance point feels closer to handle center than pivot, if that matters, but given the handle curvature and blade orientation, I don't really think it will. The trade-off with the stability is it won't score points with the fidget crowd or the action junkies (it's smooth, but deliberate like any backlock.) Feels like a real work-horse knife, which is surprising in what still feels like a deceptively smaller knife.

That Grip - wow. At first the G10 felt textured AF, but I compared to the G10 on my Maxamet PM2 and the material seems identical. I have carbon fiber scales for my Sage 5, bronze scales for my basic PM2, and the smooth G10 on the Shaman have made me forget how grippy the basic Spyderco G10 is. That said, the "pistol grip" orientation of the handle/blade make this knife beg to do piercing cuts. Normally the top of my thumb will land on the jimping of a thumb-ramp, and gives me ample control for push cuts. On the Ayoob, the base of my thumbprint, right above the knuckle, lands on the thumb-ramp jimping and says... "Let's stab something!" Leads to the overall work-horse feel of it I think.

The serrations on mine seem pretty good compared to a couple snagglehooks others have posted/complained about. It's a valid complaint, I don't think it's perfect aesthetically, but I'm really not concerned about mine. I'm more interested to see how the Cruwear evolves over time. I feel like mine already has a couple droplet spots on the end of blade, which don't reflect the light as uniformly as the rest. Wondering how much the blade will patina. Most of my D2/3V/XHP blades are coated, and I acid washed my Maxamet blade, so this will be one of my first chances to watch the progression.

Great knife. Thanks to JD for the inspiration to get one.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is a great knife. It is too expensive for me, at present with the currency exchange, but wow, what a great looking knife. I can see, really looking at the pictures, how practical this knife could be for all sorts of tasks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

RamZar wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:

The teeth at the tip look particularly crooked on this one! Time to see the local knife dentist. :smlling-eyes

I'm concerned by that front couple serrations. I've seen a couple other pics of the SE from other vendors and they also look like a weird, blended together giant serration - not a feature of the previous SE Ayoobs?

Similar here:

And this reddit picture:
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The old Ayoob Sprint with Aluminum handle.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 am
RamZar wrote:
Buddafucco wrote:

I'm concerned by that front couple serrations. I've seen a couple other pics of the SE from other vendors and they also look like a weird, blended together giant serration - not a feature of the previous SE Ayoobs?
Hey Mark Greenman the SE unit I scored this past week does not have that problem. I suspect that a few of them escaped Quality Control for whatever reason. Because two other friends of mine who got their SE unit in the past two days both tell me that the ones they got looked good as gold.

Sal did say a few pages back that if it was a major concern to send it back. I'm going to try to score another pair of them next week when I get some cash freed up. And if I have one that has that flaw I'm just going to use it and put the good one in my footlocker.

Dude I can't tell you how happy I am that we finally got these new Sprint Run, C-60 Ayoob models. I know you've been a fan of them for a really long time yourself. I hope you find them great to use. I think this CRUWEAR is going to make for a beast of a cutter in both edge types.
bchan

Post by bchan »

I am not familiar with the Ayoob, are there any reasons for the peculiar orientation of the handle with respect to the blade? I would imagine doing push cuts would be awkward with the handle in this orientation?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bchan wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:02 am
I am not familiar with the Ayoob, are there any reasons for the peculiar orientation of the handle with respect to the blade? I would imagine doing push cuts would be awkward with the handle in this orientation?
If you check out the history of this C-60 Ayoob model you will first off discover that the designer "Massad Ayoob" is a veteran police officer and a firearms expert. With all of his experience he came up with an ideal self defense folder which felt natural in his hand. I even seen one article where he said it felt like he was holding a handgun. But I'm sure there were many factors that went into his consideration for a most unique design. He wrote for several well known magazines like "Backwoods Home" and a few others I remember him in.

I got my first C-60 model at the 2002 BLADE Show and I've been in love with it ever since. Gee that's been 20 years back. But you might want to look up the archives of some of the popular knife magazines like BLADE, Knives Illustrated and an older now defunct publication known as "Tactical Knives". I do remember there were write-ups in most of those popular magazines which gave you a lot of detail. You might even GOOGLE The C-60 Spyderco Ayoob and find some of those descriptions. I do remember reading about it in BLADE but it's been so long I can't remember all of them.

But it does have a most interesting history to it. And a lot of detailed thought went into this brilliant design. Maybe some of the other guys could give you the dates of the magazines that reviewed it.