Tools, tool boxes and everything tool related

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prndltech

Tools, tool boxes and everything tool related

Post by prndltech »

I thought it would be cool to have a thread for those interested in tools of all kinds, questions about brands or types of tools, maybe tools you didn't know existed, or perhaps you're looking to buy some and don't know where to start. I don't know! but here is a place for all things tools, and no, they don't have to be automotive related. Obviously that's what I have the most of. I apologize if there is such a thread, I didn't find it when searching.

every once in a while I take a quick video of my tools at work for insurance purposes just in case something happens (fire, theft, etc.), so here's a quick look at my office day in and day out. keep in mind that's what this is for and not really a tour. I didn't think about other people seeing this and thinking about it now, I am due for another update :rofl

eventually I will get around to taking some pictures of my tool box at home at some point. it's rarely used, but I got a small stash as well.

thanks for idea Dan!

My roll cart (my most often used tools and where most of my knife pics come from at work):

https://streamable.com/nfvjjs

My tool box (less often used tools, specialty tools or tools that don't fit in the cart):

https://streamable.com/92gggv

I have owned both Matco (4s) and snap on (krl1022) master series boxes and these tool vaults from strictlytoolboxes.com are amazing, 100% professional level tool boxes - I have worked out of this one for at least 7 years now:

https://strictlytoolboxes.com/product/t ... ith-hutch/

all of us at the shop have one of these roll carts ( I call it my battle station) and work out of them all day every day and they hold up to professional use (abuse):

https://www.harborfreight.com/30-in-5-d ... 64721.html

Im sure this thread will die fast, but it was worth a try.
Last edited by prndltech on Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JRinFL

Re: Tools, tool boxes and everything tool related

Post by JRinFL »

I’ve been slowly upgrading my tool collection over the years and now have two sets. One that sits rusting in the humid garage and get all the dirty jobs. The other sets lives indoors in a Bosch L-Boxx stack. The L-Boxx line is pretty good, but now overshadowed by newer, better designed storage systems.

Core tools are still the set I got on my 16th birthday from Craftsman. All US made if you can believe that ever was a thing. :thinking The new stuff is either German brands like Felo and Wiha, or “boutique” tools that caught my eye.

The garage tools are mix of tools from HF, Lowes, and HD, plus my old Craftsman screwdrivers with the acetate butyrate handles. That stuff get stinky as it decomposes and is a major rust initiator. Sadly, they had to go outside. :neutral

Power tools I have less need of so I only have some 12v Bosch and the rest is HD special price Ryobi (and refurbs).
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have been very impressed buy 12v tools. I have had dewalt, makita and snap on 18v or 20v systems over the years and just recently switched to Milwaukees 12v FUEL line with a 1/4" hex impact driver, extended 1/4" ratchet, drill and 3/8s impact 3 months ago and have been very pleased with the power at work.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sadly, Bosch has sort of neglected their 12v line in the US. I guess they fell victim to the same thinking that gets most US consumers buying 18v over anything else. I found the 12 v tools are more compact and lighter while still being capable of real work.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:32 pm
Sadly, Bosch has sort of neglected their 12v line in the US. I guess they fell victim to the same thinking that gets most US consumers buying 18v over anything else. I found the 12 v tools are more compact and lighter while still being capable of real work.
you are absolutely correct. years ago I would have said no, but along with everything else, technology has advanced and 12 volt tools are smaller, lighter and more capable than ever.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SG89

Post by SG89 »

From the title I thought this thread was about the insult meaning of tool lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Does this conversation invlove truck tool boxes as well?

I recently got my dads old, but very nice, truck. I however did not like the toolbox that was on it. I liked my old trucks tool box better, its a UWS. After some googling I learned UWS is regarded as pretty much the second best after Weatherguard, and a good bit more expensive than the generic tool box on my "new" truck. Even though the construction materials and methods are about the same, the older UWS was holding up better.

So I spent one of my weekend afternoons a few weeks ago swapping out the toolboxes. Which was suprisingly much more involved than I thought it would be. Basically they had different mounting systems and I had to drill new holes in both boxes to make them fit.

Does anyone have a weatherguard? Are they worth it?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

SG89 wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:13 pm
From the title I thought this thread was about the insult meaning of tool lol
I don’t think there’s enough bandwidth for that
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:36 pm
Does this conversation invlove truck tool boxes as well?

I recently got my dads old, but very nice, truck. I however did not like the toolbox that was on it. I liked my old trucks tool box better, its a UWS. After some googling I learned UWS is regarded as pretty much the second best after Weatherguard, and a good bit more expensive than the generic tool box on my "new" truck. Even though the construction materials and methods are about the same, the older UWS was holding up better.

So I spent one of my weekend afternoons a few weeks ago swapping out the toolboxes. Which was suprisingly much more involved than I thought it would be. Basically they had different mounting systems and I had to drill new holes in both boxes to make them fit.

Does anyone have a weatherguard? Are they worth it?
I had an old Weather guard on a used truck I bought years ago and it was a great box. I know that probably doesn’t help much, but if I was going to buy another one that would probably be what I would go with. Either that or UWS
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I wish I could participate here, but I'm not very manly when it comes to the tools. My tool box is a slight upgrade from Will Ferrell's in the movie Daddy's Home :-|| :rofl
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:18 pm
I wish I could participate here, but I'm not very manly when it comes to the tools. My tool box is a slight upgrade from Will Ferrell's in the movie Daddy's Home :-|| :rofl
This thread wasn’t created for anything other than talkin about tools.

I don’t expect any one to have a collection like mine, the only reason why I have what I have is because it pays my bills, puts food on the table and most importantly… BUYS KNIVES!

But I figured there’s plenty of folks out there with unique stuff. Whether it’s tractors, or woodworking tools, even tools for guns. Who knows what all is out there? I don’t!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'll chime in. For the past 6 months or so, I've been using a Carhartt Trade Series Medium Tool bag for all my hand tools (pliers, hammers, drivers, tapes, wrenches, etc). I'm not a tradesman, though I do carry them to and from work with some frequency. I've been pleased as punch with this little bag. It's extremely well-made, the pockets make sense, the handles are comfortable, and it's a lovely shade of Carhartt brown.

I generally buy Makita power tools, and their bags are absolute trash. When I saw that Sierra was stocking my favorite Carhartt Toolbag, I bought without thinking twice. It's black, not brown, but it's half the price of the same bag on Amazon. Should hold my Impact Driver, Drill, Batteries + Bits a lot better than my two-year old Makita bag which is presently falling apart at the seams. They've still got them in stock if you're interested.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Here is one that doesn't come up on the automotive side much. These are some of my belt alignment lasers.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Oooo… that’s cool!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Bought a small compressor recently. Makita MAC700 (2 Hp). Just for filling bike and car tires and blowing out desktop computer boxes. Same old story, you buy it and then you're buying a ton of things like compressor oil, T-splitters, and oil/water/air separators.

Noise: 81-85 db depending how far you are from it. Outside the garage with the doors shut it's 60 db. Still pretty loud though.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I don't have many tools at all fellas. My dad had a lot and my little brother and me use them when needed. Although, back around '06 or '07, I bought a really nice Craftsmen Mechanics set tool box with tools included - from Sears in Asheville. It's got 1/4, 3/8, & 1/2" in both metric & standard. It's a big metal portable 5 drawers if not mistaken. I cannot find a pic of it on the internet. I'll take a pic when I get home. ( were in the Yadkin Valley camping and it was friggin 98° ysterday...will reach 100° today, Im sure - dam....lol ) I really love that set. But, it weighs a ton, lol. I also really love the Makita 18v Brushless Drill Set I bought from the Home Depot, in Bristol, Va. This was around 2016-2017? At any rate, it's by far & away the best drills I've ever owned. Man, I hate to think what the Craftsmen toll set would cost now a days with inflation and everything.....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:18 pm
Lol, Rick, we must& will remedy your situation!
One must be a manly man, at all times!
I'll send ya a pair of vise grips- that'll be a nice start.
And, not a new shiny one either, an oily dirty manly one. ..... 😃
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Yeah, your tools need to show scars from use and, uh, well, scars from bouncing off the concrete from those times you busted your knuckles and had to vent some steam. :steam-nose :grin-squint
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

JRinFL wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:29 pm
Yeah, your tools need to show scars from use and, uh, well, scars from bouncing off the concrete from those times you busted your knuckles and had to vent some steam. :steam-nose :grin-squint
We call that the dammit tool… and it’s often the next tool you need, so you need to go find it after you throw it
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
olywa

Post by olywa »

I've got the brushless Bosch 12V impact driver and the drill driver as well. I find them both to be handy and capable of meeting most of my needs. I gave my 18V Makitas to my kids and don't regret the change at all. My hand tools are gradually moving to Knipex and Wiha. I'm about 75% there. I have an older Craftsman rolling cart in my garage but I use Carhartt tool rolls quite a bit for grab-and-go.