2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: 2023 Forum Calendar Contest!

Post by Sharp Guy »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:40 pm
See, that's what I thought they wanted when I tried to submit mine. Make the knife the focal point and try to minimize the background a bit. Not sure how all the conversions and pixels and stuff work, but this didn't fit the format if that would somehow help anybody here for this year.
Hey, Rick:
If I recall correctly, the issue was the size of your file - it wasn't high-resolution. It wasn't the composition of the image, just that the file was too small for print. If we try to format a low-res image for print at the size we need for the calendar, the image is horribly pixelated. I hope this helps clear that up for everyone.

Kristi
Rick, were you actually notified that your pic was rejected? Sounds like it. It would help to know because that would mean mine met the requirements and I'd like to offer you my help with making sure your submission is good to go this year. I have a few different ways of exporting a file to different formats, resolutions, etc
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:50 am
TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:54 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:40 pm
See, that's what I thought they wanted when I tried to submit mine. Make the knife the focal point and try to minimize the background a bit. Not sure how all the conversions and pixels and stuff work, but this didn't fit the format if that would somehow help anybody here for this year.
Hey, Rick:
If I recall correctly, the issue was the size of your file - it wasn't high-resolution. It wasn't the composition of the image, just that the file was too small for print. If we try to format a low-res image for print at the size we need for the calendar, the image is horribly pixelated. I hope this helps clear that up for everyone.

Kristi
Rick, were you actually notified that your pic was rejected? Sounds like it. It would help to know because that would mean mine met the requirements and I'd like to offer you my help with making sure your submission is good to go this year. I have a few different ways of exporting a file to different formats, resolutions, etc
Yep, Kristi reached out to me shortly after the winners were announced that year, that they were having trouble with my image. I reached out to our IT guy here at work and he tried a few things for me but nothing worked. I understand Kristi and the gang were also doing what they could as well.

I appreciate the offer buddy!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:30 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Man, I had a great pic selected. But unfortunately I always take pictures in horizontal mode. Because that's the right way to do it on the phone.
you know, I was thinking that the theme/format for this year is the same it's been for the previous two years

why keep repeating the horizontal pics style? shake it up a bit
;) We did landscape for 10 years before we went to vertical. We've had a lot of great feedback on the functionality of the calendar (it's true - some people still use a hardcopy calendar :smiling-cheeks) and the vertical version has been very popular.

We reconsider every detail, every year. I promise. :bug-red

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

TazKristi wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:21 pm
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:30 am
JSumm wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:09 pm
Man, I had a great pic selected. But unfortunately I always take pictures in horizontal mode. Because that's the right way to do it on the phone.
you know, I was thinking that the theme/format for this year is the same it's been for the previous two years

why keep repeating the horizontal pics style? shake it up a bit
;) We did landscape for 10 years before we went to vertical. We've had a lot of great feedback on the functionality of the calendar (it's true - some people still use a hardcopy calendar :smiling-cheeks) and the vertical version has been very popular.

We reconsider every detail, every year. I promise. :bug-red

Kristi
You didn't have to respond to that Kristi. I was being a little tongue-in-cheek. The majority of what I post is a try at humor. Unless we are discussing blade to handle ratios and then it is on.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

I'm sitting in my computer chair trying to brainstorm what I can do for a photo.

Feeling so stumped haha someone give me some inspiration!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:41 pm
I'm sitting in my computer chair trying to brainstorm what I can do for a photo.

You have “fishin” in your name. How about a salt knife with a fish you caught? Make the knife the focus with the fish behind it.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Freediver wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:11 pm
huyfishin wrote:

You have “fishin” in your name. How about a salt knife with a fish you caught? Make the knife the focus with the fish behind it.
This is probably whats gonna happen. I'm guessing you're a freediver? Spearfisherman?
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:27 pm
Freediver wrote:
huyfishin wrote:

This is probably whats gonna happen. I'm guessing you're a freediver? Spearfisherman?
I used to many years ago when I first joined. Spearfish, kayak fish and just freedive for fun. Unfortunately I don’t find as much time to get in the ocean as I once did even though I stare at it every day.

Anyways I just noticed the photo in your sig and it’s pretty awesome.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Freediver wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Freediver wrote:
huyfishin wrote:

I used to many years ago when I first joined. Spearfish, kayak fish and just freedive for fun. Unfortunately I don’t find as much time to get in the ocean as I once did even though I stare at it every day.

I have been looking into trying spear fishing from my kayak. You actually kinda inspired me to maybe take a photo of my spyderco fish hunter with a fish. Not sure if piercing a fish with it for a photo is appropriate lol maybe stick to fish in the background
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:13 pm
Freediver wrote:
huyfishin wrote:
Freediver wrote:

I have been looking into trying spear fishing from my kayak. You actually kinda inspired me to maybe take a photo of my spyderco fish hunter with a fish. Not sure if piercing a fish with it for a photo is appropriate lol maybe stick to fish in the background
Check out the March 2021 winner for some inspiration. It’s a similar concept with the Fish Hunter. :bug-white
- Nick :bug-red
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

This sounds fun.
I have a couple ideas.
If I can only find the time to try them before the deadline.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m going to pass but will immensely enjoy seeing the pictures that will be posted . Regards MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:16 pm
huyfishin wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:13 pm
Freediver wrote:
huyfishin wrote:

Check out the March 2021 winner for some inspiration. It’s a similar concept with the Fish Hunter. :bug-white
Wow that one is pretty nice!!! some of these are gonna be hard to beat!
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Those were some great pictures from last year, not sure how I will compete.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I shot my entry last weekend, but when I put it on a screen big enough to see details it looked like crap. Gotta set it up again and try a different camera or two. My best one doesn't have that high resolution even though it has the best optics of any I own.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

How do you know what's high or low resolution anyways? I just point and click and hope for the best.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, the minimum size is spelled out in the first post as 2625 pixels wide by 3375 pixels high and my old DSLR only goes to 2000 by 3000. I have point and shoots that go higher, but one of them gave me the pix that looked bad on a big screen. Maybe the other one will work better.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:24 pm
Well, the minimum size is spelled out in the first post as 2625 pixels wide by 3375 pixels high and my old DSLR only goes to 2000 by 3000. I have point and shoots that go higher, but one of them gave me the pix that looked bad on a big screen. Maybe the other one will work better.
Worst case I think the iPhone shoots at 3000X4000 that would make the minimum requirements. Does anyone have input if a iPhone would at least work?
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't have an iPhone, but the camera in my LG is 12 Megapixel, well above the minimum size. I was just hoping to use something with better optics.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:15 pm
I don't have an iPhone, but the camera in my LG is 12 Megapixel, well above the minimum size. I was just hoping to use something with better optics.
I do have my wife’s SLR that will shoot RAW at 6000x4000 but I have no idea how to use it. IPhone at least does all the work for you and makes it easy. I might have to try both.