2022 P.I.T.S Sprint!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JRinFL

Re: 2022 P.I.T.S Sprint!

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:07 pm
Hi JR,

Sorry for any disappointment in delivery. I'm sure they're just waiting for their turn. Probably my bad for speaking too soon. I got one of the pieces early and I've been carrying it. I really like and respect Mike's designs and his innovations I think this is the best one yet. A real EDC Slipit. Someone mentioned that it is the "Sebenza" of slip joints, and I think that's probably a good description. We are pleased to be able to offer it to you.

So yes, I must be reprimanded for "Too early" mention. Apologies. At least you know it will get here, and you know there is really nothing quite like it on the market, and you know we appreciate your patience.

sal
It's all good, Sal. No need to apologize! I'm not disappointed, I'm just highly anticipating this drop.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’ve often referred to the PITS as the “emperor of Spyderco slipjoints” (where the UKPK is king). It’s a fabulous design and kudos to Sal and the crew for bringing us a sprint version. The stonewashed version will go nicely with my other stone slippies. Cheers, Radioactive

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:48 am
I’ve often referred to the PITS as the “emperor of Spyderco slipjoints” (where the UKPK is king). It’s a fabulous design and kudos to Sal and the crew for bringing us a sprint version. The stonewashed version will go nicely with my other stone slippies. Cheers, Radioactive

You’re not wrong.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
attila

Post by attila »

I called SFO today and was told that they had some ~25 or so of these and that some portion of that may be posted to the site on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I’m glad that I had the inclination to check the SFO at the conclusion of dinner.

After of my checkout, there are 3 left.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Matus

Post by Matus »

For those that have both a PITS and UKPK - would you be so kind to share your impressions on these two knives? They are obviously very different design wise, but how do they compare when it comes to carry and use? Thank you in advance.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:07 pm
For those that have both a PITS and UKPK - would you be so kind to share your impressions on these two knives? They are obviously very different design wise, but how do they compare when it comes to carry and use? Thank you in advance.
i have neither and i've held neither. however, i can tell based on the designs i would prefer the ukpk in use. it appears to have a negative blade angle, which i like. it has a leaf blade, which i like. it has finger choils similar to the manix and native, which i like. and it comes in a salt version, which i really like.
the pits wins as a piece of art for sure though. i really like the way the spring is integrated and i like the ti handle. i don't care for the blade shape (although there's really nothing wrong with it) and i don't like holes in my handles, especially when it's beautiful, stonewashed titanium.

all of that is subjective and based on pictures, but i have enough experience to know what i prefer.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

The Pits is a fantastic EDC and a cool high-end non-locking alternative. I really like the full grip. The handle is longer and wider and more hand-filling than the UKPK. The edges are rounded and it feels fantastic in the hand. It is roomy and suitable for larger hands, because no handle real-estate is sacrificed for a choil.

The blade stock is also thicker, so as a package it feels much tougher and more solid and stout than the UKPK. The lack of a lock is a non-issue, the blade stays securely open when you grip the handle. The lockbar design is practical and ingenius. The action is smooth as it runs on PB washers, and it opens with a reassuring "twack"! There is no half-stop, but the nub will keep the blade from closing on your index finger. The nub sticking out on the back of the handle when closed has never bothered me.

As a pure cutter though I prefer the UKPK because of thinner blade stock, a more practical blade shape with a lower tip.

Compared to a Sage 2, note how much more grip area you have.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Great pictures. I've been saving up points for this one and can't wait. That blade shape actually reminds me of the straight spine Stretch. It looks like plenty of negative blade angle if you go by the belly of the blade and not the point. Given the designer's intended purpose it makes sense.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thank you Brok O Lee. We have Sage 5 at home, so this gives me a very good idea.

Btw, I also find that the blade shape reminds of the Slysz Bowie.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Brock O Lee nailed it with his review.

Even if you end up not liking it (doubtful!), you’ll have not trouble selling it and making your money back. I say grab one when you can.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

This was initially shown at EUR340 on Lamnia, now it's already EUR357 and didn't even pop up :zany

Again these are made in EU with EU steel EU factory EU workforce

Designed for restrictive market UK and EU (now these are different markets due to some intelligent Brexit stuff)

These are sent into US to bill for QC and other arrangements and they come back much more expensive in EU where they've been made than in US.

At these prices it looks like Spyderco doesn't even intend to sell these in Europe, unless somebody accidentally wants to pay these numbers, so in Europe these must be priced for suckers :open-grin

*EDITED - Inappropriate for our forum - TazKristi*

Only Spyderco can manage these kind of arrangements :grin-big eyes
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

On June 6th Lamnia had it priced at €331.94 incl. VAT 20% shipped to Austria. Now, it’s €348.39 incl. VAT 20%. The Euro is losing value to the Dollar.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Matus

Post by Matus »

Having a war and a high inflation in Europe surely plays a role here.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Wylaco Supply... https://www.wylaco.com/spyderco/spyderc ... &limit=100

Edit: Out of stock
Last edited by Buddafucco on Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:15 am
Thanks for the heads-up!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Buddafucco wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:15 am
Thank you again. Ordered once I saw them on the dealer list. I wasn’t going to wait on these to pop up at other dealers were I might have points accrued.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I purchased my PITS N690Co & Skeletonized Titanium in February 2015 for $200 shipped from a Spyderco dealer in the U.S. At the time the MSRP was $399.95 so I got it for 50% off MSRP because back then there was no MAP pricing. In January 2016 the MAP price became $239.97 (40% off MSRP).

I like my quality PITS even though I have no use for a non-locking folder. I would definitely prefer an overall stonewashed finish and M390 if I was in the market for a non-locking folder.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

World economics and business models aside, this drop is the one that excites me the most this year.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:20 pm
I purchased my PITS N690Co & Skeletonized Titanium in February 2015 for $200 shipped from a Spyderco dealer in the U.S...
I paid $234 for the polished Ti version, and $149 for the blue annodised version, both in 2017. Cannot believe it has almost been 5 years ago!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi