Compression Lock Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spenser

Compression Lock Military?

Post by Spenser »

Hello all:

Lurked around for a year or so. I have appreciated the civility on this forum. Obviously I'm a fan of Spyderco, and have been for years. But the civil discussions here compelled me to go ahead and join the forum.

I really love the compression lock. I have enjoyed immensely the yojimbo/jumbo, as well as the para 2s, etc.

Will we ever see a Military with a compression lock? If so, sign me up for at least a couple.

Looking forward to discussing all things sharp with y'all....
sal

Re: Compression Lock Military?

Post by sal »

Hi Spenser,

Welcome to our forum. I think you will enjoy your time here. Lotta knowledgeable friendly folks here.

Eric is currently testing a Military 2 with a Compression lock.

sal
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

Outstanding news! Thank you so much for the reply, Wasnt expecting the man himself to respond! Thanks for the warm welcome, and ill be looking forward to the production of said dream knife!
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Edit: guess not.
Last edited by Blnd on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm
This will be fodder for the casual bombshell thread…
No it won"t ;)

It was posted there more than once already, and a comp.lock Millie was discussed extensively (see this threads for example
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91184&start=40#p1575561
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89839#p1528563
- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89515&start=100#p1535135)

Also, Sal said that the linerlock Millie will stay in production, even if there'll be a comp.lock Millie (which is great news for me and others - my personal reasoning here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91184&start=40#p1575561 or here viewtopic.php?t=88506#p1482422 for example, no need to lay it out in this thread once again).
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spenser wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:58 pm
Hello all:

Looking forward to discussing all things sharp with y'all....

..and of course: Welcome to the forum, Spenser! :smiling-cheeks
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

I like the ease of actuation on the comp lock, but I dislike how squirrely a knife can feel while closing it one-handed, and I feel like that might get worse as the blade gets longer and you have more swinging mass, but who knows maybe it'll be fine.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:33 pm

sal
That’s great news, Mr Glesser!

Hopefully the masses won’t want to improve that one like they want to improve your liner lock. Ah, hahaha!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:36 am
sal wrote:

sal

Hopefully the masses won’t want to improve that one like they want to improve your liner lock. Ah, hahaha!
Hey Alex,
I know you´re most likely JUST kidding ;), but out of interest: Have there actually been attempts to improve the linerlock (or at least think about improvements) ?
Just can recall that regarding the comp.lock (button...)...

... and here is another great news by Mr. Glesser viewtopic.php?t=88506#p1482457 :smiling-cheeks :
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 am
Bloke wrote:
sal wrote:

sal

Hey Alex,
I know you´re most likely JUST kidding ;), but out of interest: Have there actually been attempts to improve the linerlock (or at least think about improvements) ?
Hey Gernot, I’m deadly serious.

In my time here, I couldn’t count how many threads have been started on “Improving” the Mighty Military. Not necessarily worded that way but always with the same intent, to change the knife.

If my memory serves me, you’d like a “Stronger” tip. Joe Bloggs wants extra holes, Willie Vanilly wants a back lock, Martha Muppet wants a push button release compression lock, Arty Upton only carries tip up. Safety Jenkins won’t buy a liner lock because he values his fingers and doesn’t want to loose them.

I think it’s all quite comical.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:14 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:54 am
Bloke wrote:
sal wrote:
Hey Alex,
Hey Gernot, I’m deadly serious.

In my time here, I couldn’t count how many threads have been started on “Improving” the Mighty Military. Not necessarily worded that way but always with the same intent, to change the knife.

If my memory serves me, you’d like a “Stronger” tip. Joe Bloggs wants extra holes, Willie Vanilly wants a back lock, Martha Muppet wants a push button release compression lock, Arty Upton only carries tip up. Safety Jenkins won’t buy a liner lock because he values his fingers and doesn’t want to loose them.

I think it’s all quite comical.

Ahh, I think I got you wrong then! Thought you were talking about improving the linerlock (as a locktype) itself!!

No, as you can see in the threads I linked in my first post here:
I am totally AGAINST "improving" / changing the current Millie!
And actually this it true for a "comp. lock Millie" too, not an improvement for me, rather the opposite on this particular model for several reasons (see here for example why I (and others) think so viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91184&start=40#p1575561, don´t want to start of this discussion here once more).

This is also why I am amongst the "perhaps consider calling a comp.lock Millie rather "Para 4" or "PM 2 XL" -folks-

Actually, the latest discussion was even supported by Sal himself, since he said he´d be interested in what people think could be improved in the Millie design (if my memory serves me right)

/ You are right, I uttered several times that I always was a bit worried about the pretty fragile looking tip on my Millie indeed.
But I also always said that in reality it held up well! (Though, yes, generally (when it comes to knife designs) I am for a good compromise between strong and "usefully fine" when it comes to tips).
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:42 am
Ahh, I think I got you wrong then!
No biggie, mate. I just happened to like the knife the way it is. I have four that will most certainly see me out so I’m not overly phased one way or another.

You own and like the Endela, yeah? If I started a thread/post: I don’t own an Endela but, I’d buy a dozen if it had a liner lock and an eight way clip.
I’m tipping there’s a better than average chance you’d think, what’s this kook on about? I think the same every time I see a post that starts that way about the Military, is all. ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:33 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:42 am
Ahh, I think I got you wrong then!
No biggie, mate. I just happened to like the knife the way it is. I have four that will most certainly see me out so I’m not overly phased one way or another.

You own and like the Endela, yeah? If I started a thread/post: I don’t own an Endela but, I’d buy a dozen if it had a liner lock and an eight way clip.
I’m tipping there’s a better than average chance you’d think, what’s this kook on about? I think the same every time I see a post that starts that way about the Military, is all. ;)
Not our day today, my friend! :smirk

I think we still misunderstand each other: I am 100 % with you! I think the Millie is perfect as it is and don´t want it to change at all! And that´s what I constantly say and support in such threads! (All I actually want is that it will be in stock in Europe again and I can get another one... :savouring )

(Edit :To be correct: Three more holes in the handle for offering a tip up option would not hurt me (or nine more holes, thinking of our lefties)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

sal wrote:
Hi Spenser,

Welcome to our forum. I think you will enjoy your time here. Lotta knowledgeable friendly folks here.

sal
Can't wait for it, Sal. Thanx much.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Has anyone seen it ? I've seen a couple of pictures of a prototype from Blade Show today.
I wasn't particularly sold on it before, but it sure looks appealing once it's real....
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:31 pm
Has anyone seen it ? I've seen a couple of pictures of a prototype from Blade Show today.
I wasn't particularly sold on it before, but it sure looks appealing once it's real....
Are there any links to these prototype pictures? I've been yearning for this model for years...
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

There is a pic near the bottom of page one of the "Are you going to Blade Show" thread.
amateur blacksmith

Post by amateur blacksmith »

sal wrote:
Hi Spenser,

sal
Very welcome news. Hopefully it will retain the S30V like in the display model.

It won't replace the liner lock model for me, but I remain interested to buy and handle it.
Last edited by amateur blacksmith on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I’m hoping for a sprint run in a tough steel like Magnacut or LC200N
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I'm hoping for standard production S110V, and a sprint in Rex T15 or ASP60...preferably not consumer-direct at full MSRP :nauseated