Spyderco Chaparral FRN backspacer upgrade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alex4

Spyderco Chaparral FRN backspacer upgrade

Post by Alex4 »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket lightweight backspacers for Chaparral frn? Maybe from frn, cf, aluminium? I like mine very much and also do think, that metal backspacer adds to the look, however I would really like the knife to be a bit lighter and with more balance to the front. Don't think metal backspaces adds much to the sturdiness of the knife. Thanks!

Regards,
Alex
araneae

Re: Spyderco Chaparral FRN backspacer upgrade

Post by araneae »

I have not seen any and I have never seen an aftermarket FRN backspacer for any model. That would likely need some pretty specialized equipment to produce. I don't think a CF or Al backspacer would significantly alter the balance on what is already pretty lightweight.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Alex,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since the knife is rather small, I for one like having most of the weight lodged in the palm of my hand while using it.
To get back on your question, I think araneae is right on the backspacer. I've seen one made but the guy had made it himself and was not able to mass produce others !
As for the balance, I've disassemble the Chaparral FRN a couple times and, relative to the weight of the knife, the backspacer is pretty heavy.

I don't remember if the screws are in the backspacer or if there is another piece sliding in the backspacer. If it screws in the backspacer,making one in CF or G10 would need some inserts.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

There are makers on Etsy who sell 3D printed backspacers for some Spyderco Lightweight (FRN) models. You might ask one of them if they do the Chaparral.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Alex4 wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 12:22 pm
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket lightweight backspacers for Chaparral frn? Maybe from frn, cf, aluminium? I like mine very much and also do think, that metal backspacer adds to the look, however I would really like the knife to be a bit lighter and with more balance to the front. Don't think metal backspaces adds much to the sturdiness of the knife. Thanks!

Regards,
Alex

I actually like the "heavy" built of the Chap FRN, but also see that an even-lighter version would have its place.

Now I don´t know any sources for an aftermarket backspacer, but I wonder if it would be actually hard to just make one yourself out of some lighter weight wood or something like that? Backspacer is not the most complicated part of the knife, and made out of wood you could file it further in shape if necessary even after it had been installed...?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I don't have one yet. I still need one, definitely. Taken with a grain of salt then, I think I would actually prefer a little lighter.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 1:03 am
I don't have one yet. I still need one, definitely. Taken with a grain of salt then, I think I would actually prefer a little lighter.

I sure hope you´ll get one and share your thoughts here!

I am normally really into light weight knives, and while the Chap actually IS light absolutely seen it is not superlight for its size (also not really heavy though, partly perhaps due to the great, thin blade).

But in this particular model the "all metal handle" (liners, lockbar, metal backspacer) combined with the extremely solid lock (internal stop pin) makes for the unique, indestructible, "little tank" feel of the Chap for me, which I really like.
Is it necessary though for stability / rigidity? While I think the liners actually ARE cause in that extreme handle thinness linerless would probably not work out well, the metal backspacer certainly is not imo, constructionwise.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cali

Post by cali »

I made such backspacer myself, Sharp Guy made printed one, maybe he could share the 3D model?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91579
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

Thank you all for the great input! G10 is actually interesting, but wouldn't probably manage to do it myself :) could not find anything quickly on etsy. regarding "little tank" - it is what appeals to me also, other small lightweight knives (dragonfly, mini bugout) do sacrifise much more in terms of strengths imho. But do not think frn backspacer would mean sacrifice here, just probably metal is more in line with the "gentlemen's folder" concept
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I’m not so sure the metal backspacer isn’t important to the Chapparal design, at least in the FRN version.

The (minimal) liners are nested in the (rather thin) FRN scales. There is not that much to them.

I rather suspect that the entire specification is what allows the design to be such a thin, lightweight, and strong package.

Maybe a Titanium backspacer would do the trick, but would raise the price.
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

Titanium liners with frn backspacer would be cool :) wondering, how much weight that would reduce.
And round end of handle a bit it para 3 style to make carry clip even deeper. Ad add tri-ad lock (if the patent is expired) :D sorry, fantasizing :winking-tongue
araneae

Post by araneae »

Alex4 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 5:57 am
Titanium liners with frn backspacer would be cool :) wondering, how much weight that would reduce.
And round end of handle a bit it para 3 style to make carry clip even deeper. Ad add tri-ad lock (if the patent is expired) :D sorry, fantasizing :winking-tongue
Add a Triad lock to a Spydie?, hard pass. People already complain that the Chap has a stiff lock. I am certain the existing Chaparral lock is more than secure enough for anything other than knife abuse.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal