I don't think the Stretch 2 is boring.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: I don't think the Stretch 2 is boring.

Post by kennethsime »

Great responses everyone, thanks very much for sharing. I bear Pete no ill will, of course, and will continue to watch his excellent Youtube channel - especially for his no-nonsense reviews of sharpening equipment. Also, apologies to our Aussie friends - I didn't mean to conflate the two nations, but I did mis-identify Pete's accent.

I think what throws me for a loop is that I'm just very biased against other pocket knives. The Seki FRN line is what I measure other folding knives against. If another company can't pack at least as much cutting performance, comfort, and value into a knife, they're not really worth my time. All of those "boring" features I listed up above are really pretty exciting to me. The 40-year design history mentioned by Airslee is pretty exciting to me - the Stretch is a highly refined knife.

Some makers, who shall remain nameless, come out with tons of new models each year. They may even pay a custom maker to design some of them. Some of the designs are good, and others... well, not so good. They produce new models rapid-fire, as many new designs as possible, and discontinue most of them after the first production. Some might stick around another year or two. Companies like this remind me of the reproductive strategy of the common house mouse - produce as many offspring as possible, because you know most will die young.

In stark contrast to these makers, we have Spyderco's CQI, and the Stretch's 40-year design history.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

Changing the blade shape to a straight spine, from a really interesting blade shape with a bit of strength behind the tip, was a fail imo, it lost all its charm and uniqueness, but each to their own.
Theres so many straight spine sypderco folders, ive got plenty, it is a bit same old after a while.
'Im wondering if it was a decision based on ease of manufacturing or cost, I don't really get it but each to their own, it seems very popular.
FRN is boring and spydercos whole frn pattern could do with a rework on some of their knives imo.
Something a bit different, more solid, shallower indentations on the grip, something more inline with cold steels grivory on the 4max scout or rajah 2 which imo feels better and more solid in hand.
It also doesn't get full of sand, dirt, grease, blood etc, my Spyderco FNN knives get so filthy in the handles im almost embarrassed to carry them anywhere decent sometimes.
Then I gotta get a toothbrush to clean them and wet the whole knife.
Not to mention that some of them feel a bit too light and flex too much like the pacific salt, structural integrity has been compromised to save weight imo.

Plenty would disagree though.
Last edited by Salty Dog on Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:27 am, edited 6 times in total.
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’m going to counter most of what’s been said here. I picked up the ivory vg-10 SS stretch a while back on a whim (it was literally the last one knife works had in stock) and was really excited about it…I like frn; I wanted something in this size range that was an “upgrade” from my harrier 2 frn; I knew I didn’t like the PM2 handle size/shape much and this was being thought of as a LW alternative; the price was pretty good for what you get; I wanted to try out vg-10 in something different than a DF2 or kitchen knife.

When it arrived, it felt big/long, somewhat unbalanced…FOR ME. Took up tons of pocket space. I found myself always choosing the harrier. Then I got a Kapara and the stretch has been in the box for a long long long time.

For me, this translated into, well, boring! What fun is a knife that I don’t want to carry and use. At first I thought it was just a bit too long and plain didn’t fit my hand that way (similar to have the Delica/endura series doesn’t work for a lot of folks), but after falling in love with the kapara, I realized that it wasn’t the length as much as the height of the handle.

This has me excited to check out the new XL, as it seems to have a more narrow handle. Unfortunately, budget is dictating I wait a bit, but I suspect that I will like the XL more than the stretch 2!
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The stretch has always been an acquired taste. Those who love it, love it. Its a great knife in the hand. Many think it has the best cutting ergonomics of many Spyderco folders. It is a pocket hog, but then again, if it doesn't bother you it is hard to find a better folder.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Do I think FRN knives are boring?? Hmmm...Do I need to elaborate? :zany

Yes, I don't even take a second glance. Regardless of color, model or steel involved. Therefore I wouldn't give one a chance...unless it had your scales on it of course!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
z1r

Post by z1r »

bjz wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:06 am
I’m going to counter most of what’s been said here. I picked up the ivory vg-10 SS stretch a while back on a whim (it was literally the last one knife works had in stock) and was really excited about it…I like frn; I wanted something in this size range that was an “upgrade” from my harrier 2 frn; I knew I didn’t like the PM2 handle size/shape much and this was being thought of as a LW alternative; the price was pretty good for what you get; I wanted to try out vg-10 in something different than a DF2 or kitchen knife.

When it arrived, it felt big/long, somewhat unbalanced…FOR ME. Took up tons of pocket space. I found myself always choosing the harrier. Then I got a Kapara and the stretch has been in the box for a long long long time.

For me, this translated into, well, boring! What fun is a knife that I don’t want to carry and use. At first I thought it was just a bit too long and plain didn’t fit my hand that way (similar to have the Delica/endura series doesn’t work for a lot of folks), but after falling in love with the kapara, I realized that it wasn’t the length as much as the height of the handle.

This has me excited to check out the new XL, as it seems to have a more narrow handle. Unfortunately, budget is dictating I wait a bit, but I suspect that I will like the XL more than the stretch 2!
I feel similar, love the XL, not too excited about the SS. I do like my drop point ZDP Stretch 2. But I wouldn't EDC it. For that role, my K390 Endela does a better job. I may still succumb and buy a SS K390 Stretch 2, but it isn't a priority and would be a knife that wouldn't get much use.

If the XL wasn't longer than our legal carry limits, it would probably replace my Endela, especially if it were a K390 XL.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although I'm on a hiatus from any new knife purchases for now, I can usually tell from images if a particular knife design would be a good fit for me or not, I would say about 90% to 95% of the time.

Only very rarely do I click on knife review videos. The vast majority are mind-numbingly boring, and regurgitate the same stats that can be found anywhere else. Most of the time, I can only tolerate several seconds at best.

Jim
Tonnor01531

Post by Tonnor01531 »

The only thing I have against the stretch is how shallow the blade tip sits in the handle. Won't take much sharpening to expose the tip
bjz

Post by bjz »

dan31 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:46 am
The stretch has always been an acquired taste. Those who love it, love it. Its a great knife in the hand. Many think it has the best cutting ergonomics of many Spyderco folders. It is a pocket hog, but then again, if it doesn't bother you it is hard to find a better folder.
I personally just need to be better about regularly searching for a stretch 1 frn in decent shape to try out…I’m highly suspicious that the slightly shorter handle coupled with slightly longer blade would be a home run for me, even though I tend to prefer less belly. In the meantime, the harrier 2 is essentially that home run for me in a similar frn folder.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I want a K390 Stretch 2. Like, I really want one. It's top of my list if I get a knife budget again. That said, it is boring. Really nothing about it is super interesting compared to so many other knives even in Spyderco's line up. But, I also like boring knives. Boring knives are good knives.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Seki knives, the Stretch 2 included, are excellent knives that work exceptionally well. They are also, almost universally, terrible conspicuous consumption products. A prominent youtuber finding them boring is as on-brand as can be.

I found the Ivory Stretch SS to be one of the more aesthetically pleasing knives released in a while. The stark contrast between the handle and blade shapes was very appealing.

Wide-spread "content" creation as a profession is the worst thing that ever happened to hobbies.
z1r

Post by z1r »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:25 am
I want a K390 Stretch 2. Like, I really want one. It's top of my list if I get a knife budget again. That said, it is boring. Really nothing about it is super interesting compared to so many other knives even in Spyderco's line up. But, I also like boring knives. Boring knives are good knives.
Boring or they just do what they are supposed to really well and without any fanfare? That's how I feel about my Endela and I know others that feel this way about the Stretch 2.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

z1r wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:15 pm
knivesandbooks wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:25 am
Boring or they just do what they are supposed to really well and without any fanfare? That's how I feel about my Endela and I know others that feel this way about the Stretch 2.
Well said and I agree. If someone finds a knife boring why not just move on to something you like ? Pretty simple, quick look in catalog may stimulate a passion for another knife. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tonnor,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
kobold

Post by kobold »

Salty Dog wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:02 am
Changing the blade shape to a straight spine, from a really interesting blade shape with a bit of strength behind the tip, was a fail imo, it lost all its charm and uniqueness, but each to their own.
Theres so many straight spine sypderco folders, ive got plenty, it is a bit same old after a while.
'Im wondering if it was a decision based on ease of manufacturing or cost, I don't really get it but each to their own, it seems very popular.
FRN is boring and spydercos whole frn pattern could do with a rework on some of their knives imo.
Something a bit different, more solid, shallower indentations on the grip, something more inline with cold steels grivory on the 4max scout or rajah 2 which imo feels better and more solid in hand.
It also doesn't get full of sand, dirt, grease, blood etc, my Spyderco FNN knives get so filthy in the handles im almost embarrassed to carry them anywhere decent sometimes.
Then I gotta get a toothbrush to clean them and wet the whole knife.
Not to mention that some of them feel a bit too light and flex too much like the pacific salt, structural integrity has been compromised to save weight imo.

Plenty would disagree though.

I agree. I went into buying my handful of Seki FRN models knowing they will be a compromise and kinda unfit to be used in public, mostly (depends on the handle color really). Also knowing, I have an exit strategy in the form of aftermarket scales if and when I feel the need for a change (eg micarta, CF and similar scales, backspacers).

It's also good that I bought some nice(r) knives first, so I don't have to pull out these in a fancy restaurant for example.

True, nothing will help with the straight spine, but I just think of it as a backlock K390 PM2, with a thinner blade and not as a Stretch. :winking-tongue
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

I think Pete was being somewhat tongue in cheek. I didn't take it that he literally thought Spydie backlocks are boring, just not the flashiest latest and greatest trendy fad design. Given his preferences I'd say he is definitely a fan of backlocks!
Pete has a sort of facetious sense of humor ;)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

dan31 wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:46 am

Just my 2 c:

- Those who love it, love it, right... but I´d add: Most who really TRY it (purely as a cutting tool) WILL love it imo

- Pocket hog? For me clearly less than lets say a PM 2, and if at all the Stretch 2, but not the "1" and I am pretty sure not the XL (don´t have one yet) for what one is getting generally, and in particularly in cutting edge length and performance.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ok, some points on the vid

- Well, Pete himself packs the "boring" between otherwise almost exclusively positive terms: One quote from the vid: "Great boring lockback user knife, one of the best options" ;)

- For me who really admires the Stretch design and performance: NOT "boring" at all!
> For one really exciting to see (and experience) such an extremely refined, no nonsense, perfect cutting tool in the arena of all purpose EDC folders!
> And it has that "I want to grab the knife and cut something asap" - factor about it (like for example the Native or the lately discussed "Rhino Grande" have too)

- The name "Stretch"
Might indeed be a bit "weird" or not "clear" for people who don´t know about the history of the model.

- Backlock vs comp.lock in Petes view:

This is a bit of a head scratcher for me, because otherwise and generally he certainly knows a LOT about folders!

1.) Pete gives points to the comp.lock cause he considers it to be stronger: Firstly, I think it is not relevant at all if comp. - or backlock is stronger in the end - both are multiple times strong enough, and i can recall both Sal and Eric saying that they like a backlock on long bladed models (Police..) exactly BECAUSE it is so strong

2.) Pete is of the opinion, that a backlock would be easier to accidentely disengage than a comp.lock.
Again, I think a non issue generally... but when I think back what I´ve read on this forum so far: No accidental disengagement of a (Spyderco!) backlock, but two of a comp.lock (one led to injuries) - again, this is just what I can recall.

3.) Pete seems to only know and use that "drop the choil on the finger" one handed closing method - while in fact the backlock has the most ways of closing it safely one handed imo
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
:bug-red-white
Current “dream collection” of knives
temperance 1, lil temperance 1 serrated leaf, black micarta calypso jr & calypso, cocobolo kopa, stainless serrated harpy, stainless cricket
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:38 am
The Stretch K390 is my favorite midsized Spyderco. it is the one knife I would take if I could only have one. It has replaced my backlock Manix 2 in that role. I want to see this straight spine Stretch in new steels. This knife is anything but boring. It has everything I want in a knife and it fits my hand without modification.

Hi Doc, you might remember I'm another one who favors the Manix mid-backlock. Can I ask what appeals about the Stretch relative to it? I've been on the fence about getting one.