What happened to the Ken Onion Designed Spyker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steeljustice

What happened to the Ken Onion Designed Spyker

Post by steeljustice »

Was it the shape of the blade that caused it to be dropped?
SG89

Re: What happened to the Ken Onion Designed Spkyer

Post by SG89 »

Most collaborations are licensed for an amount of time then discontinued. Sometimes the lack of sales or production issues hasten their demise. I’m bumping this thread in the hopes Sal chimes in.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Kevinim82

Re: What happened to the Ken Onion Designed Spkyer

Post by Kevinim82 »

steeljustice wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:14 am
Was it the shape of the blade that caused it to be dropped?
https://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=176

It’s Ken Onions famous recurve! He uses this blade shape on many of his high tier knives. His kitchen knife has this shape.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-B ... ife--20024

This old Bump is pretty close in form and function.

I don’t know much about the history myself, but I have thought about owning the Spyker. If Sal and Ken did a revision, I’d tell them the 90’s are over, no need for all the embellished holes on the blade/handle. It’s a really nice knife otherwise.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Mushroom

Re: What happened to the Ken Onion Designed Spyker

Post by Mushroom »

I’ve always been a huge fan of the design. I’d also be interested to learn more about why it was discontinued. I wonder how much Kershaw being an industry competitor played into it?

I have a feeling SG is on the right track though.
- Nick :bug-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

if you want a similar knife, you can always get a kershaw speedbump. it's basically the exact same shape, minus the bump for the spydie hole, and it has a different locking mechanism.

i think the spyker is a strange knife. it looks like it wanted to be a little fancy with the carbon fiber accents, but the billboarding on the blade really kills it. it has some very polarizing design aspects, like a recurve blade, odd looks, extra holes in the blade, etc. it looks like it was probably more expensive than people would've wanted to pay for a knife at the time also.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

The reason i started this thread is the first pocket knife i bought at a local firearm show, was a small Kershaw Blackout until a few years ago i had no idea who Ken Onion was and had been involved with the knifes design.

Then when i started working in a local sporting goods store, selling knives i found the Spyder brand knives, that were one of the best selling with the highest demand knives sold there.

So i thought i would like to have a Spyderco knife in my collection along with my other Spyderco knives that was also a Ken Onion design, so i found that Ken Onion was involved with Spyderco with the Spyker then i found it had been discontented.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

It’s on eBay. The price isn’t too terrible.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It was a cool knife. I would have liked it but for the odd extra holes in the blade to catch crud and it was a liner lock (the biggest obstacle for me). I like Ken Onion designs quite a bit.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

With a few models going away due to manufacturer restrains most just run a general course of time. I expect a large batch is made or subsequent batches are slow to be needed so they just wind down the model for another project.

I can’t believe many makers have bad blood with Spyderco. Some of the designers are eccentric but have found common ground with Sal, Eric and the rest and together have produced multiple successful designs. It really speaks to the diplomacy of the company. Just my humble opinion since I live with an artist :)
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

For me with the PM2 that Sal's son designed will always be up there with the greatest knife Designers.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Blerv wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:20 am
With a few models going away due to manufacturer restrains most just run a general course of time. I expect a large batch is made or subsequent batches are slow to be needed so they just wind down the model for another project.

I can’t believe many makers have bad blood with Spyderco. Some of the designers are eccentric but have found common ground with Sal, Eric and the rest and together have produced multiple successful designs. It really speaks to the diplomacy of the company. Just my humble opinion since I live with an artist :)
I suspect that the "bad blood" may stem from Sal not liking being used for a stepping stone. Ken Onion was already associated with Kershaw, so the Spyker was a Kershaw/Spyderco collaboration rather than a Ken Onion/Spyderco collaboration, which is a pretty rare thing. Most collabs are short-lived. I've read a lot of comments on the Spyker over the years, most of them critical of the billboard on the blade. The Ken Onion signature recurve also seems to be either loved or hated, with little middle ground.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I seriously doubt this knife will ever resurface , Onion is now associated with CRKT and Work Sharp . Just my thoughts . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:07 am

I suspect that the "bad blood" may stem from Sal not liking being used for a stepping stone. Ken Onion was already associated with Kershaw, so the Spyker was a Kershaw/Spyderco collaboration rather than a Ken Onion/Spyderco collaboration, which is a pretty rare thing. Most collabs are short-lived. I've read a lot of comments on the Spyker over the years, most of them critical of the billboard on the blade. The Ken Onion signature recurve also seems to be either loved or hated, with little middle ground.
Good points, I forgot about the background of that knife. I was mainly trying to say I doubt many people and Sal & Co are at ends since they tend to always take the high road (or at least they have a chill persona). It’s not impossible, just far less common. I wasn’t saying (or not saying) Onion and Sal had any “bad blood”.

Also agreed with Manixguy. That ship has sailed most likely. IMHO not a bad thing, any AO knife won’t make it into my collection and it seems Kershaw does that to like 90% their offerings.

In general collabs are short lived. Even extremely popular knives like Southard’s first flipper eventually go away.
sal

Post by sal »

No problem with Ken and Spyderco, we're friends. No problem with Kershaw and Spyderco, mutual respect.

The Keshaw/Spyderco Spyker was a fun and challenging project (two competitors). I think we pulled it off very well. We only wanted to do one run just to be able to say we did it. We're always open to new ideas and concepts.

Funny side story (talkin' story), Lynn Thompson, another competitor, and friend, served me at the SHOT show because he thought that our "Spyker" name was too close to his "Striker) name. I explained to Lynn that the name came from the SPY in Spyderco and the KER in Kershaw was how the name came to be. I also explained that we were only doing one run and the run was done. So he withdrew the charge.

Interesting industry.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:07 am
I've read a lot of comments on the Spyker over the years, most of them critical of the billboard on the blade.
Is there really a blade behind the billboard? I need to concentrate better when examining this piece of art ... :nerd

Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for sharing Sal! Yea I can imagine you and Lynn being professional yet not matching in persona. Glad you could spend less time in court and more time doing literally anything else, lol.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Great blade! Reminds me of my CRK Sebenza with the insingo blade shape, just with a recurve
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
steeljustice

Post by steeljustice »

Knivesandbooks did you buy any of your knives at Sports World in Tulsa?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

For a March 2005 folder it had premium CPM-S30V and the scales are a nice G-10 with Silver CF inlays. A unique collaboration in many ways and very well executed by Spyderco.

I think if it was made today the street price would be what the MSRP was back then ($250).
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

I like the design, but not the recurve. Just not my cup of tea. Interesting though!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela