Blade off center & quality control

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Joshuaroyce

Blade off center & quality control

Post by Joshuaroyce »

I recently received a Manix 2, native 5, and native chief that all came out the box new with the blade sitting crooked/ off-center. Now this doesn’t bother me because I have the tools to fix/adjust/take apart. I’m curious to know if this is something that is checked in the quality control department? Or something like this is acceptable and a non-issue? Btw I love these models I mentioned I’m just curious if this aspect is checked before the blades make it out to the consumers. Thank you all
Wartstein

Re: Blade off center & quality control

Post by Wartstein »

I personally don´t care at all for perfect centering like in slightly off to the left or the right, as long as the blade does not rub the inside of the handle I am a 100% happy camper (and have always been in that regard with any Spydie I got) - but i know and respect that many have a different view on this.

So, yes, for me personally it is totally acceptable, if it were only up to me I´d even say they should save the time and money that it takes for checking for perfect centering

Not much help, I am afraid, but at least I can bump your question back up from page 3, since you got no replies so far... :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I honestly don’t have an answer to your questions , that is above my pay grade and would be misleading . As said previously if off slightly and not rubbing , I use it . I rarely have a centering problem , I can only think of two at the moment and they function fine . If you can post pictures it may help get you some more information. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Donut

Post by Donut »

In my experience, it's not at the top of the priority list. I feel like it would increase the production cost something like 50% to try to make sure they were all centered. I would rather have a lower costing knife than pay to have the blade centered when closed.

There are people who say "if you want a perfect knife, you probably need to go with a custom knife maker." Some of those guys cost $1,000+ per knife with a year backlog. =\

I know the Taichung Taiwan knives have pretty high quality production value. You _might_ have better luck with some of their knives.

Some of the priorities, from my point of view, seem to be: Safety (does the lock function correctly), production quality (very good, but not perfect), a very good performing and comfortable to use knife, high quality materials, variety.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Kid

Post by Kid »

Depends on how off-center, as long as it doesn’t affect function. Most of us who wants perfect centering own torx bits and can adjust and will disassemble anyway. Was never an issue for me until I started watching YouTube knife reviews on how a blade needs to be perfectly centered. My friend has been using his small Kershaw pocket knife for years with off-center blade, and I didn’t want to tell him, because it is not an issue.
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

Does it bug me? Yep. Deal breaker? Nope.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

It does matter to me and if they aren’t centered my OCD starts acting up! Every Civivi I have bought has been 100% perfectly centered and are mostly in the ~ $50 range so it’s not impossible to do. I only order from places that will inspect prior to shipping to make sure I get well centered blades. For Spyderco it seems some designs are better about it than others. Natives, Para 3s, and Taichung models have all been good for me.
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

Spyderco’s centering usually has been pretty good for me. My experience has been that if it’s off center you can adjust it yourself and fix it as long as it isn’t an Autonomy 2, the spring makes those always off center. Also, lock backs tend to move back and forth when closed so they change centering often when closed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I really don't think we need another one of these threads. There's already a monster thread full of people rebuttaling each other into oblivion about this. We really don't need to throw gas on that fire again do we?

The main question here is, does QC check for this?

I'm gonna assume they do not, because I bet by a very wide margin this is not an issue and in mose cases most knives are close enough to perfect that it doesn't warrant the extra attention. Since most of us can also agree that much of this can be fixed by adjusting screws, it isn't so much a defect as it is a result of assembly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:14 am
I really don't think we need another one of these threads. There's already a monster thread full of people rebuttaling each other into oblivion about this. We really don't need to throw gas on that fire again do we?

I'm gonna assume they do not, because I bet by a very wide margin this is not an issue and in mose cases most knives are close enough to perfect that it doesn't warrant the extra attention. Since most of us can also agree that much of this can be fixed by adjusting screws, it isn't so much a defect as it is a result of assembly.
Well said on all points . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:

We really 100% absolutely DON'T indeed... :woozy

... but since the second question of the op is if "this [slightly off centered blade] is acceptable and a non issue [or not]" I guess it is ok if people give their opinion and an overview of opinions also on this...as long as we don't start actually discussing this yet again!!!..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:01 am
Evil D wrote:

We really 100% absolutely DON'T indeed... :woozy

... but since the second question of the op is if "this [slightly off centered blade] is acceptable and a non issue [or not]" I guess it is ok if people give their opinion and an overview of opinions also on this...as long as we don't start actually discussing this yet again!!!..

It's inevitable. Abandon ship. Save yourself.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I do not know if this will help anyone but if the blade rubs, or almost rubs the liners, there's something to try.
Simply untighten every screw from both sides of the scales, this will make the tension built during assembly go away. I had 2 knives on wich centering was too off : the Gayle Bradley 2 and the Yojimbo 2.

The GB2 got scratched the moment I opened it.
Now, if the blade seems too close to one side (and it's obvious, I mean like touching it or less than a mm from touching it), I do this procedure. The Yojimbo went from rubbing on the top of the hollow grind to perfectly centered, never had any problem since then.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I don't think centering mattered until YouTube.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've never had blade centering make any difference to my use of a knife.

Can anyone tell me what difference it makes in your actual uses?
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:49 pm

If it is so far off that it rubs the liners, it scratches the blade. Have only had this in old traditionals myself.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:51 pm
TomAiello wrote:

If it is so far off that it rubs the liners, it scratches the blade. Have only had this in old traditionals myself.
Ok. That's fair.

If I had a blade that was so far off it was rubbing the liners, it would make it harder/grittier to deploy (and probably to close) and potentially dull the blade during opening/closing. So, fair enough, that would be a functional issue.

If I received a new knife like that from anyone, I would definitely return it.
Danke

Post by Danke »

I just want to thank all the folks on the assembly lines in the different factories who set aside and send me the good ones only. It's appreciated!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:45 pm
I don't think centering mattered until YouTube.
nutn invented the centering issue to take his videos from 30 minutes to 45 minutes.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ranger000

Post by Ranger000 »

TomAiello wrote:

The "actual use" makes no difference.

EXAMPLE: A brand new car will drive perfectly fine but.......
The door is crooked
The hood is crooked
The trunk is crooked
The window rolls up crooked.
The paint is splotched.
The grill is crooked.

"Appearance" does make a difference to most people when buying a BRAND NEW ITEM !!

And then some people live in dirty and messy houses and don't see the dirt and mess......

They just say "it's a house"......and the rest doesn't "make a difference" to them.....