Two questions - Scales and glue, and Boltaron sheaths.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
jhe888

Two questions - Scales and glue, and Boltaron sheaths.

Post by jhe888 »

Does anyone glue on bolt on scales - in particular the Halpern ones? I know this would make them more or less permanent, but it would keep moisture out.

Spyderco is out of Mule Boltaron sheaths. Do you know if these come back into stock regularly, or will it be a while? Does anyone else have those?

Thanks, all.
Ilocano73

Re: Two questions - Scales and glue, and Boltaron sheaths.

Post by Ilocano73 »

I had the same question in one of the topics. I am thinking of using clear silicone once I get the scales from Spyderco. When I removed the current printed scales to test fit my scale design, I saw rust spots on the z-wear. Hoping the silicone will block moisture and it will be easy to remove if needed.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Ilocano73 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:27 pm
I had the same question in one of the topics. I am thinking of using clear silicone once I get the scales from Spyderco. When I removed the current printed scales to test fit my scale design, I saw rust spots on the z-wear. Hoping the silicone will block moisture and it will be easy to remove if needed.
Just avoid the stuff that uses acetic acid to cure. I would feel more comfortable using a gasket maker designed for automotive applications.
Last edited by bgcameron on Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ilocano73

Post by Ilocano73 »

bgcameron wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:36 pm
Just avoid the stuff that uses acetic acid to cure. I would feel more comfortable using a gasket maker deigned for automotive applications.
Good idea, I’ll try to find some locally if not, I’ll order one online.
Toker

Post by Toker »

Why not just run of the mill silicone from the plumbing section?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

bgcameron wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:36 pm
Ilocano73 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:27 pm
Just avoid the stuff that uses acetic acid to cure. I would feel more comfortable using a gasket maker designed for automotive applications.
Does it really "use acetic acid to cure"? I thought it released acetic acid as part of whatever reaction goes on in the curing process. Probably this distinction is irrelevant if the concern is just the presence of acetic acid as far as what damage it might do to the blade.

Or just use epoxy if you are going to go so far as to glue the scales on. Probably you are thinking that RTV (aka silicone) will be "easy" to remove should you want to do so, but I am not so sure. I remember reading (probably on this forum) some time ago that removing epoxied scales is a matter of a few sharp blows. Of course you sacrifice the scales.

My vote (and I am wrong about half the time) is that if you go to gluing scales, consider it permanent and use epoxy.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jhe,

We're working on sheaths all of the time. Sometimes it's just hard to keep up.

sal
jhe888

Post by jhe888 »

Thanks, all.

Still interested in any comments on glue/silicone, etc.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:36 pm

Does it really "use acetic acid to cure"? I thought it released acetic acid as part of whatever reaction goes on in the curing process. Probably this distinction is irrelevant if the concern is just the presence of acetic acid as far as what damage it might do to the blade.
Yes that's what I meant. I would be concerned about it causing corrosion. A neutral cure silicone like a gasket maker would not cause the steel to rust.