Chaparral safety

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Chaparral safety

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:25 am
how do we know he was deleted by mods instead of him deleting his own account and leaving?

Actually just mods can delete an account, but members can´t.

So it was 100% certain a decision by Kristi or Michael (or another mod I am not aware of) to do this.
But we don´t know the reason, could be anything between having prove he was a troll and to actually protect him...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 am
It feels a bit like when someone gets on the ‘bus and makes an irritating fuss, and you only then realise they’re special needs. You were annoyed, then feel guilty for having been annoyed, and then just sad because although it’s only a small moment for you, it’s a lifetime for them.
This.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:44 pm

So it was 100% certain a decision by Kristi or Michael (or another mod I am not aware of) to do this.
But we don´t know the reason, could be anything between having prove he was a troll and to actually protect him...
If that's the case, then I think we just have to believe in the forum management and trust their decisions.

I've been involved in forum management and moderation and it's thankless. I know that in a very similar situation I have advised someone to just start a new account and try again, and then deleted their old account. In that case, they actually did learn from the first experience and grew to become a reasonable, contributing member of the forum community. But pretty much no one but me knew (because I could track the IP addresses and registration email addresses to see that it was the same person).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:53 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:44 pm

If that's the case, then I think we just have to believe in the forum management and trust their decisions.

It is definitely the case that only mods can delete accounts. I read a reply by Kristi in the "tech support" sub forum where someone asked how to delete an account and she told him this..
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

We’re a bloody strange breed of cattle, that’s for sure!

We complain we’re having our time wasted and being laughed at.

The silly bastard is now gone and that’s freed up our time to keep his threads going and to start new ones about the kook who wasted or time.

Seems we have more time to waste than we’ll freely admit.

From where I’m standing I’d say ole mate, whatever his name is, won this one comfortably, lay down misere.

Kook 10 - Forum 0.

Kristi, would you please be so kind as to delete all the Thread that ole mate started and the ones we ourselves have started about him and put an end to this nonsense?

Best Regards,

Alex.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Ha, I agree Bloke.

Wasting time? That is pretty much why I’m here!

This is a knife forum and for most of us knives are a hobby. This is supposed to be fun.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm
Kristi, would you please be so kind as to delete all the Thread that ole mate started and the ones we ourselves have started about him and put an end to this nonsense?

Best Regards,

Alex.

Some Orwellian, Ministry of Truth, Newspeak vibes here.

Maybe just lock them, if anything...
So it goes.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:30 pm
Ha, I agree Bloke.

Wasting time? That is pretty much why I’m here!

This is a knife forum and for most of us knives are a hobby. This is supposed to be fun.
Darby, you’ve always been the voice of reason, and this is indeed a special place no doubt but only so because of people like yourself.

Best wishes, my friend. :smlling-eyes
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Every time I open my Spyderco, this happens. I cannot afford new cars. What do?
Attachments
half.jpg
kobold

Post by kobold »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:28 pm
Every time I open my Spyderco, this happens. I cannot afford new cars. What do?
:-))

I suggest opening your Spyderco next to a block of wood. This happened when I opened my Chaparral last night. Amazing.

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:57 pm

From where I’m standing I’d say ole mate, whatever his name is, won this one comfortably, lay down misere.

Kook 10 - Forum 0.

Best Regards,

Alex.

I have to disagree, Alex... ;)

- "Kook 10 - Forum 0"...?

Why this?

- When a majority of forum members honestly tried to give advice and offering help to someone, and continued doing so even after it was clear that this person perhaps had troubles comprehending or just taking in the info?
- When several of us tried to adapt the way the info was given to this aspect (formulating it simpler and so on), and also tried to transport that a more laid back and not so worried approach towards knives would be actually helping and be more fun?
- When we did not care that there was a good chance we could be just trolled, but continued to give advice and offer help cause there was also a perhaps rather slight, but still, chance that someone actually needed it?

For me really a win for this forum overall, and the above counts a lot more than the jokes that were made too (and to some part were harmless)

- "Deleting all threads" ?

Why? At least concerning those Damiand started? (I am with you that "starting threads about those threads" does not make much sense...)

- A lot of actually good info and advice in there, for many who read and will read the threads, especially when rather new to knives. Both concerning "technical" info, but also how a positive, not too worried approach can help with enjoying and learning about folders.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Can’t always agree with one another, ay mate? :clinking-mugs
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 am
Can’t always agree with one another, ay mate? :clinking-mugs

Right, my friend! (and here´s MY toast to you :clinking-mugs ;) ) !