Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by vivi »

p_atrick wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 am
I wonder what this knife looks like when disassembled. For those people wanting after-market scales, I wonder if Knife Center will do their exclusive with this model (they did for the P4). That way you'd get your full liners for micarta scales.
the construction looks incredibly similar to the Pacific Salt 2's based on what I can see.

already got a PE pre-ordered.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:16 pm
now the real question is will you see this before your swick? i've been wondering the same about the s35vn resilience.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:32 am
Yeah I don't get the straight spine move. If it is more popular, than go for it. Hopefully sales would be boosted because of it. This model needs some love
For outdoor focus, I like the reinforced tip. Plus, I don't find the Kapara less pokey than I need it to be. And the same for the Endura family with the reinforced tip.

I do recall looking at the 2022 catalog and thinking the only model I really wanted to get was the Stretch. Then looked at the weight and said I rather have an Endura that is lighter with more edge. So, because of the weight reduction and added edge. I am really excited for this, and I can overlook the SS.
Hi guys . I think the original design by Sal is one of my all time favorites and that is why the SS has not been on my radar . The XL changes everything because of the size and weight. I think it is worth a try to satisfy my curiosity .MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 pm
vivi wrote:
now the real question is will you see this before your swick? i've been wondering the same about the s35vn resilience.
I believe I will :squinting-tongue

The Swick will be here when it's ready. I don't mind waiting a year or two for a design I've been requesting for a decade +. It's not every day a knife company runs a niche design in the exact steel I want for my particular needs, so the fact it's even being made is still kind of mind blowing to me.

Regarding the construction of this knife, here's the Pacific 2 insides:

The Stretch XL looks similar on the outside, with there being one side that has body screws and the other side is flat FRN where screws would be. Rather than the older construction Spyderco used with screws on both sides of the handle.

If I'm right that will make a Salt version incredibly easy to make, should sales warrant it.

The more I look at photos the more I feel like this knife is going to be "the one" for me.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

vivi wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:33 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 pm
vivi wrote:
I believe I will :squinting-tongue

The Swick will be here when it's ready. I don't mind waiting a year or two for a design I've been requesting for a decade +. It's not every day a knife company runs a niche design in the exact steel I want for my particular needs, so the fact it's even being made is still kind of mind blowing to me.
i know how you feel. i remember asking for the resilience in d2 just hoping for any upgrade in steel. i'm still excited about the s35vn. although some of that excitement has dwindled as i watched the price increase before its even been released. anyway, i'm on a purchasing break after recently picking up a few new knives, so i'll have to watch with excitement from the sidelines. im looking forward to seeing how you like the swick and the stretch xl.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:41 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:23 am
I'm pretty sure Sal said they were also going to release a G10 version of this model. So assuming that is still on the table, a Cru-carta should be pretty easy, and may be even cheaper than a G10 version.
Hmm... I must have missed that. Here's hoping!

A few posts in this thread mention Sal mentioning a G10 version, but I couldn't locate a direct quote from him regarding G10.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89953&start=81

Here is a semi-recent quote however mentioning 4 different steel versions being in the works!

sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
First of all, I would like to thank Lance for his opinion that the stretch 2 XL, was, in his opinion, the best of the Blade show. Since I am biased as the Stretch 2 XL is my design, but it is the result of more than 40 years of design experience.

I just received the prototype made from tooling. In my opinion, the production sample is exactly what I had hoped for. The sample is a highly functional, ergonomic, balanced and contains all of the design evolution of the past 40 years. bi-directional texture, finger choil, ergonomic handle with and without the finger choil, full flat grind with double distal taper, jimping on the blade and finger choil, Boye dent, FRN handle with nested skeletonized liners, highly functional blade shape, 4 way clip, lanyard hole, hole opener, high quality build and good edge geometry. I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.

I hope you like it.

sal
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
tangent

Post by tangent »

Not to derail the conversation, but I want a linerless, stretch 2…with the og blade shape. In MagnaCut, please. :)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For those who have the Stretch 2, how do you feel about the ergos compared to let's say a Rock Jumper, Endela, or Endura with No Choil? Finger grooves aside. That is not what I mean. I have come to appreciate the Choiless models from Seki. Wondering how the Stretch 2 compares in hard grip and so on. It may just be the hard grip where I prefer choiless. Obviously, you have plenty of room on the XL handle to move behind the choil which is a bonus. Not exactly sure how to ask this. Maybe if you have had those models for a long time, how do you feel about it now or better how often do you carry a stretch?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Do you mean like a hammer grip? In my experience it is very good on the stretch 2 handle. Plenty of room behind the choil and even when choking up on the choil with that grip I think it is superior to many other spydercos that have a forward choil.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Stretch 2 handle, for me, makes the Endela pretty well obsolete. Far better handle design for me. The Endela is not a bad knife by any means but side by side the Stretch 2 wins for me every time. Lots of room for me on the Stretch 2 behind the choil. Might be different if you have Vivi size hands but I have ample room.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

vivi, or anyone else, when you get this, please post size comparison pics vs Pac Salt, Endura, PM2, or whatever is comparable. I am seriously excited about this one.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:29 pm
For those who have the Stretch 2, how do you feel about the ergos compared to let's say a Rock Jumper, Endela, or Endura with No Choil? Finger grooves aside. That is not what I mean. I have come to appreciate the Choiless models from Seki. Wondering how the Stretch 2 compares in hard grip and so on. It may just be the hard grip where I prefer choiless. Obviously, you have plenty of room on the XL handle to move behind the choil which is a bonus. Not exactly sure how to ask this. Maybe if you have had those models for a long time, how do you feel about it now or better how often do you carry a stretch?
The Stretch has always had better ergos for me than the Endura 3, 4 or Pac Salt. I owned the ZDP189 / CF run and an FRN Stretch 2. Only reason the Pacifics are in my rotation and the Stretch 2 isn't is the rust proof nature of the salts.

If it were between the Stretch 2 and Endura in FRN and flat ground VG10, I'd take the Stretch over the Endura. The handle fills my palm better.

While the Stretch 2 doesn't feel as cramped for me behind the choil as a Para 2 does, I'd still like a bit more room along with some more cutting edge.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

That is good to know everybody. I have large hands but thin fingers. The Endela fits great, humps aside (different conversation). The Endura feels better because there is a little extra behind the hand. More confidence inspiring.

Endela in hand.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’ll just echo what others have said and add that the Stretch has a very neutral handle, which makes for few hot spots in hard use. In fewer words: it’s a 10/10.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I like it.
I will get one.

And, I will probably... get a combo edge.
GASP!
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:30 pm
I like it.
I will get one.

And, I will probably... get a combo edge.
GASP!
The horror!

Haha, truth be told I’ll probably grab a CE as well. Seems like a great all-around package.

Will this knife be the Endura-killer? I ask this as a massive fan of the E4 platform, so no disrespect meant. It just seems like a more comfortable option ergonomically in a similar size bracket.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

I got one on order, love the serrated edge and size , the straight spine well POOP :pleading
I saw a YouTube influencer make a comment on the change to straight spine “ the stretch is just a updated endura now “ hopefully the stretch 2 will continue with blade shape and add a steel or two ( cru , M4 , K390 or some awesome Japanese concoction like blue or SG2 )
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This has the potential to be my new favorite knife. I’ll grab a SE VG10 version while I wait for some other steel options. Curious to see how it feels in hand.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

phaust wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:40 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm
Is the Stretch XL a "Bugout Killer" considering efficiency ratios? If you consider just blade length, the Stretch XL has more efficiency than a Bugout. If you consider edge length, the Bugout (having no finger choil) is more efficient. But balance that against the additional control a finger choil gives, and also, the fact that if you are in a last-ditch defensive situation that requires depth of penetration, it's actually blade length rather than edge length that counts.

The above ^ merely considers ratios. Of course the S-XL just has more blade and edge than a Bugout, period. Not a bad thing when you're in the wild.

Pleased as I am about the S-XL, I'm standing in the line that's cue'd up for an upgraded steel.
I'd say no. If you care about efficiency, you're in it for the edge/weight ratio, and they're not very close, 1.62 to 1.28 inches of edge per ounce. The Stretch 2 XL is actually nearly identical to the Pacific Salt 2 LC200N, which is at 1.29 in/oz, so it's not really a new class of light--just a bit bigger than the PS2 in edge and weight.

Doesn't mean the Stretch XL is heavy nor not awesome, just not able to dethrone it in lightweight efficiency. Stretch XL is a different class of knife that happens to be light for its size, IMO, like the PS2.

Agree with you, and I think I said as much in my post, where I pointed out that when considering the edge length ratio (rather than blade length ratio) the Bugout still has the efficiency lead. That choil inevitably carries an "edge efficiency penalty" with it. Whether the control a finger choil gives you is worth the penalty, is up to you.

But if you consider the SXL from the perspective of blade length:weight ratio, the graphic clearly shows the SXL as the efficiency leader. Look at the perpendicular distances from the regression line in the blade length graphic, you'll see what I mean. Knives that are further in the (perpendicular) direction of the right side of the line are more efficient, and here, the Stretch is more extreme than the Bugout.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:37 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:15 pm
I just received the prototype made from tooling.... I'm planning the design in VG-10, CPM-Cruwear, K390 and a sprint in SPY27.

I hope you like it.
sal

Oh wow, thanks Steelcity for reposting this. I had missed it. I'd be thrilled with any of the last three steels.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189