Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by Bolster »

Is the Stretch XL a "Bugout Killer" considering efficiency ratios? If you consider just blade length, the Stretch XL has more efficiency than a Bugout. If you consider edge length, the Bugout (having no finger choil) is more efficient. But balance that against the additional control a finger choil gives, and also, the fact that if you are in a last-ditch defensive situation that requires depth of penetration, it's actually blade length rather than edge length that counts.

The above ^ merely considers ratios. Of course the S-XL just has more blade and edge than a Bugout, period. Not a bad thing when you're in the wild.

Pleased as I am about the S-XL, I'm standing in the line that's cue'd up for an upgraded steel.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

Everyone in this thread looking for K390 or H1 instead of VG-10... you're setting yourselves up for another Manix 2 Backlock. Yeah, the thicker blade stock probably hurt it, but so did everyone waiting for something "better" than S30V.

Maybe this will stick around longer since FRN molds are a larger upfront cost than for G10 machining.

If you think you'll like the design that much, check out the standard model, use it until it falls apart, and then maybe there will be an upgrade available at that point.

Signed,
Upgrade-hopeful Astute owner happily beating the @#$& out of the 8Cr13MoV until then
PocketShredder

Post by PocketShredder »

This just made my year…
Image:bug-red-white
"All God's critters have knives."
tangent

Post by tangent »

Leksy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:46 pm
Linerless construction without rustproof blade seems to me more of a disadvantage. Would definitely get a Salt version of this design though.
I agree...but also think at the same time that liners in any of these models is not really adding too much to the design (except for weight). :winking-tongue
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:52 pm
zhyla wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm
Snacktime wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:28 pm
I am thinking $115 to $120 price range like a plain police 4.

No need to speculate on pricing, $112.35 at BladeHQ. I have to say, that's less than I was expecting. And certainly less than I'm expecting the Chief FRN to go for.

And in case anyone wondered what the SE looks like:

Man, even the serrations look perfect!!!
Rather shallow as far as i can see, and exactly the right amount of PE towards the tip..

Can´t find anything that is NOT perfect on this model... perhaps that I´d slightly prefer the original Stretch blade shape. but that´s about it and the straight spine not a deal breaker at all..

/ Wonder what this will cost in Europe. US prices are less than I would have expected - another advantage of linerless FRN, I guess...
I would much prefer the original version in serrated over a straight spine , but maybe a k390 endura is a better option
In reality I don’t see a SS stretch being anywhere unique from a endura , but it’s basically gonna need to be compared side by side
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

This is a really exciting knife. The specs are great, the weight is amazing, and I think the price is nice too. I hope it sells very well, and leads to a Salt. I may have to get one before that.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

This was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect to be wanting another large folder for a while, but this one is tempting.
Absolutely not in my budget though, so that part isn't so pleasant.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For the record: I will happily carry a VG-10 version until hopefully we see a different steel put in this. But just based on the specs this could be a really great platform so why not dream a bit?
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
olywa

Post by olywa »

Specs are good but I'd love to see some comparison pics of the XL next to the current SS Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

vivi wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:39 pm

Just look at that size to weight ratio! I thought the FFG Pacific Salt was impressive, but this looks like it could be the new king of large, lightweight folders.

Better edge to handle ratio than the Stretch 2, much better size to weight ratio, and a size that will personally work better for me. Saying I'm excited is an understatement!

Also! Available in PE, CE and SE right out of the gate!

I'm gonna go a head and say it. We're gonna need to see a salt version of this!

Can I say that it looks…

…elegant? I will say it!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Skywalker wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:47 pm
Everyone in this thread looking for K390 or H1 instead of VG-10... you're setting yourselves up for another Manix 2 Backlock. Yeah, the thicker blade stock probably hurt it, but so did everyone waiting for something "better" than S30V.

Maybe this will stick around longer since FRN molds are a larger upfront cost than for G10 machining.

If you think you'll like the design that much, check out the standard model, use it until it falls apart, and then maybe there will be an upgrade available at that point.

Signed,
Upgrade-hopeful Astute owner happily beating the @#$& out of the 8Cr13MoV until then
Unfortunately or Fortunately, there is only one way to really vote "Yes." It is to buy one. ;)
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:22 pm
I’m probably going to buy one, but two small bummers for me:

1) I really hoped they launch with a steel other than VG-10. I like VG-10, but not as much as I like K390.
2) The lack of liners is going to make aftermarket scales a little harder I think.

To illustrate the point on both counts: I don’t think I’ve carried my VG-10 FRN Stretch once since I put together my K390 + Micarta Stretch.

Edit: to be really clear, I am stoked on this model, and glad to see Spyderco continue to innovate. I just want more Micarta and tool steel.

I'd love to see your K390 SSS with micarta. I have been looking at some ironwood scales for mine but I'm not sold yet.
Last edited by Superflex on Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I wanted it in k390, but it will be cheaper this way..
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Linerless is not worth the weight savings if it means the loss of aftermarket scale replacements. We know Spyderco isn’t going to release any Japanese models in G10, Micarta, or Titanium and now with linerless models, no one else will be either.

Linerless is great for Salt line, of course.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Spyderco can tool steel the knife latter, after I get my VG10 version! I like K390 but it is sensitive to outdoor weather and stretch is based off the Hunter!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I initially thought the 2.7 oz weight had to be typo. Then read it would be linerless, and it made sense. This could easily take the place of a Military as my backpacking knife.

I'm definitely in for this one, even in VG-10. Probably PE. Not sure if I'll eventually get an upgraded steel model. VG-10 is really good stuff. I ended up not getting the K390 SSS, despite loving both K390 and the SSS.
MNOSD member 0030
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

I wonder if the Endura blade can be swapped onto this, I'd love to put my Emerson Endura on that handle.
vivi

Post by vivi »

doubtful. luckily it isn't too hard to make your own waved knife.

now making it look good is another story :rofl
:unicorn
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

This one looks very nice. Lighter than a pac salt. Looking forward to see how it feels in the hand. The stretch is a comfortable design.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I hope it sells well. LC200n, keep the black scales.