Where does the steel come from?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bgcameron

Re: Where does the steel come from?

Post by bgcameron »

newbladeuser wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:14 am

I'm not exactly certain why your company decided to use a steel that has a 'toughness' factor score of 3.5/10 on the website 'Knifesteelnerds,' or even if you know that that is how it is scored, but it is, and it makes it difficult for me as a potential customer to fully trust it won't break or become damaged when put to use. I'm sure this opinion isn't exclusive to me either, as you can see similar concerns raised regarding it's toughness in my other post made on this site by other users. Hopefully you see this and convey the concerns of myself and others to your team, and maybe consider bringing a 'Hawk to market made with a stronger steel. That way, I would feel much more confident about dropping $450 on one of your products.
Many will agree that edge geometry will affect toughness to a greater extent than the steel itself. Are you worried about chipping? The Warrior Hawk is not a knife and is very thick behind the "edge". Anything tougher than D2 won't affect the performance of the tool and will likely bring the cost up well beyond $450.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Newbladeuser,

The maker doesn't always get to choose the country in which we will make it. Sometimes with capacity issues, it is a matter of available capacity, time and money. Shawn Houston said he wanted his design made in Golden, with his particular heat treat and he said it didn't matter how long it took before capacity was available. So it waits in queue.

Another example; We were making Phil Wilson's knives in Taiwan with a very good maker, (same as Laci's Hawk) but he's expensive so cost was high plus the exotic steels that Phil wanted to use made them even more costly. Sales were soft. So Eric discussed it with Phil and they decided to make one of his knives in China with a good maker there and see how it goes. The knife does not use an exotic steel, but it is very well made and it is selling much better so Phil is getting a better reward for his skill. I believe that we've made all of Laci's designs in Taiwan. And yes, Laci is a Patriot, a Marine, Police officer and an exceptional MBC practitioner.

BTW, We did use USA made D2 and we shipped it to the maker in Taiwan.

Hope that helps

sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

Folks are trying to spend Disney Bucks at Cesar's Palace here.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

newbladeuser wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:17 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:23 am
Hi Newbladeruser.

The designer picked the steel as most of our designers do. We've not had any problems with the piece and it's been out for a while.

sal
So did he also choose the country where the item was manufactured? I understand you believe the Taiwan factory to assemble top notch weapons and items, but if you go onto his website https://szaboinc.com/ you'll see he says "Every item on this site, except for Fred Perrin knives are made entirely in the USA."

He's pro American, so it's somewhat odd that given his seemingly pro American nationalist stance that he would opt to have one of his items manufactured in a country of different origin.

Just thought I'd point this out.
You're talking to Sal Glesser. Show some respect.

Sal has never been above critique or criticism so there's no need for pseudo-lectures to a man who revolutionized the knife world. A lesser man might read that post as accusing him of being un-American.

Relax.
newbladeuser

Post by newbladeuser »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:15 pm
newbladeuser wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:17 pm
sal wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:23 am
Hi Newbladeruser.

The designer picked the steel as most of our designers do. We've not had any problems with the piece and it's been out for a while.

sal
So did he also choose the country where the item was manufactured? I understand you believe the Taiwan factory to assemble top notch weapons and items, but if you go onto his website https://szaboinc.com/ you'll see he says "Every item on this site, except for Fred Perrin knives are made entirely in the USA."

He's pro American, so it's somewhat odd that given his seemingly pro American nationalist stance that he would opt to have one of his items manufactured in a country of different origin.

Just thought I'd point this out.
You're talking to Sal Glesser. Show some respect.

Sal has never been above critique or criticism so there's no need for pseudo-lectures to a man who revolutionized the knife world. A lesser man might read that post as accusing him of being un-American.

Relax.
There was nothing disrespectful in what I said. If you read it and felt that way that sounds like a you problem.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Disambiguation required. What was your current ultimate again?

The folding saw for bushcraft?

The ax to breach open the haunted hospital?

The camping knife you planned to use as an ice ax self arrest as you were careening down a hill?

Can't tell a knight from a day without a scorecard you know.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

If you check out his other threads you will see that he has several criticisms of a product that he hasn't even handled, purchased or used yet. This thread started off differently but turns out it was just another Warrior Hawk complaint thread in disguise.

Newbladeuser, my advice is to just buy one if you really like the look of it. Form opinions on your own and don't make assumptions based on hearsay or poor quality pictures on an amazon review.

Or, just don't buy one and move along. Spyderco owes you nothing.
newbladeuser

Post by newbladeuser »

sal wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:55 pm
Hi Newbladeuser,

The maker doesn't always get to choose the country in which we will make it. Sometimes with capacity issues, it is a matter of available capacity, time and money. Shawn Houston said he wanted his design made in Golden, with his particular heat treat and he said it didn't matter how long it took before capacity was available. So it waits in queue.

Another example; We were making Phil Wilson's knives in Taiwan with a very good maker, (same as Laci's Hawk) but he's expensive so cost was high plus the exotic steels that Phil wanted to use made them even more costly. Sales were soft. So Eric discussed it with Phil and they decided to make one of his knives in China with a good maker there and see how it goes. The knife does not use an exotic steel, but it is very well made and it is selling much better so Phil is getting a better reward for his skill. I believe that we've made all of Laci's designs in Taiwan. And yes, Laci is a Patriot, a Marine, Police officer and an exceptional MBC practitioner.

BTW, We did use USA made D2 and we shipped it to the maker in Taiwan.

Hope that helps

sal
Thank you VERY much, this is all I wanted to know.

When I have the funds, I will definitely purchase one of your products from Laci's site and post a few pics on here. I appreciate you referring to him the way that you did. I will always cherish those front line workers who put their lives in harm's way to keep everyone safe at night.

Once again thank you very much, for everything that you do and God bless you, sir.
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Toucan wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:16 am

Don't let politics and xenophobia deter you from Chinese products, though. There is value and craftsmanship to be found in China, as well as innovation. Even if you dislike the Chinese government...
Having a dislike for the Chinese government doesn't make anyone "phobic" of them. You shouldn't conflate the two. Throwing around "-phobia, -ism, -ist" terms only makes a place toxic. There's no need to "preemptively" threaten to slander someone.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wonder what he was doing on January 6th, 2021 :thinking :thinking
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:45 pm
Bullying, and threatening to bully, isn't something that should be encouraged on a forum. It's sad that you resorted to that. Should I now "wonder" if people were a part of violent riots, burning buildings, and looting? This isn't the place for political aggression.

Instead of resorting to insults, maybe you can explain how having a dislike for the Chinese government equates to having an irrational fear (phobia) of the Chinese government and/or China in general? If you dislike MTech knives, are you just.... MTechphobic?
Last edited by BornIn1500 on Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

BornIn1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:07 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Bullying, and threatening to bully, isn't something that should be encouraged on a forum. It's sad that you resorted to that. Should I now "wonder" if you were a part of violent riots, burning buildings, and looting? This isn't the place for political aggression.

Instead of resorting to insults, maybe you can explain how having a dislike for the Chinese government equates to having an irrational fear (phobia) of the Chinese government and/or China in general?
I was joking about the OP, not you. Political people get so worked up so easily...fyi...I've never voted in my life, never even registered. Simmer down.

-Rick
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Dude c'mon. Good grief.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Unread postby TkoK83Spy » 11 Jan 2022 14:45
Wonder what he was doing on January 6th, 2021
and
I was joking about the OP, not you. Political people get so worked up so easily...fyi...I've never voted in my life, never even registered. Simmer down.
Don't worry, I'm not going to say "#^c&ing your mother !"

Simmer down. :smlling-eyes

Glad I'm not political either.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:16 pm
Unread postby TkoK83Spy » 11 Jan 2022 14:45
Wonder what he was doing on January 6th, 2021
and
Don't worry, I'm not going to say "#^c&ing your mother !"

Simmer down. :smlling-eyes

Glad I'm not political either.
Haha, glad someone took at as a joke! Just watched a show "Trafficked" on Nat Geo the other night and that was a hot topic, so it was fresh in my mind. Didn't mean get anyone's panties in a twist. Guess I see why it's a no-no around here, as well as why I've never paid attention. Doesn't seem like any fun to always be pissed about everything like political people seem to be :yawn

-Rick
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

This has been a bad couple years for those that care about this country so I feel for them but I'm not going to get too serious though. It gives me needless headaches. :)

Joe
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

Sadly everything is politics. Everything. To think otherwise is naive, bordering on ridiculus. It effects almost every aspect of your life or will at some point. "Political" people are so worked up because the future of our nation is being decided and shapped right now. If you think it doesn't effect you and you don't vote that's fine. It will or does already and you don't realize it.

Do I sound worked up or over the top? Probably. But, again sadly, current politics will/does effect all of us. Do I enjoy it? No. Politics is aggravating and exhausting. But so is my life if the country changes in a way that drastically effects me. And it may. So I'm involved.

You don't have to be interested in politics. It's interested in you.
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

And China? I' have very few phobias. None of a race of people. But I do fear their Government. Why? They want to dominate as much of the world as they can. Economically, geograpically, militarily, manufacturing and resources. I won't list all the things. Too much politics already. But it is not some paronoid delusion. Google it. Their own stated agenda and their activities aroubnd the world will tell you everything, if you're interested. That's a big part of the problem, Americans aren't interested. We just want cheap stuff.
If you think you're buying a Chinese product and you're NOT giving money to the Chinese Gov't you're again naive. They're involved in every Chinese business at some level. Do you think a Chinese company can export goods without their gov't being involved/getting some money through licenses, fees or something? Again google it.

Lenin said we would sell them the rope they used to hang us, well China is selling us the rope we will hang OURSELVES with.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Co Pilot wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:43 pm
Sadly everything is politics. Everything. To think otherwise is naive, bordering on ridiculus. It effects almost every aspect of your life or will at some point. "Political" people are so worked up because the future of our nation is being decided and shapped right now. If you think it doesn't effect you and you don't vote that's fine. It will or does already and you don't realize it.

Do I sound worked up or over the top? Probably. But, again sadly, current politics will/does effect all of us. Do I enjoy it? No. Politics is aggravating and exhausting. But so is my life if the country changes in a way that drastically effects me. And it may. So I'm involved.

Interesting way to put that, as said I really don't follow it, but that's certainly a different way to look at it. I appreciate that!

I'll stop here, didn't mean to turn it here folks. I don't want your thread to be locked.

-Rick
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:59 pm
Co Pilot wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:43 pm

Interesting way to put that, as said I really don't follow it, but that's certainly a different way to look at it. I appreciate that!

I'll stop here, didn't mean to turn it here folks. I don't want your thread to be locked.
they're about to break out that old red locktite for this thread.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C