Have Your Knife Preferences Changed This Year?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Have Your Knife Preferences Changed This Year?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

2021 is almost over and I'm curious how our knife preferences have changed over the course of the year.

I've certainly had a change.

A significant shift in preference this year for me is carrying a shorter blade. In 2020, I obtained a Ladybug HB and an ARK. Having been more accustomed to carrying knives in the Endura size range, they quickly demonstrated that a small blade is generally capable of all my edc needs. The ARK has continued to be a mainstay in my edc and, for the past few months, is often the only knife I have on my person (apart from a multitool). It gets used for everything.

Possibly even more significant is my new affinity for fixed blades as an edc. Carrying the ARK has shown me just how handy and care-free (especially in a Salt model) a fixed blade can be. The upcoming Swick had me really excited, being a small fixed wharncliffe with NBA, a larger handle compared to the ARK, and made of LC200N, but who knows when it will be available. The Enuff Salt may find it's way to my mailbox before too long to scratch that itch.

One other thing some of you may have noticed this year is my preference for corrosion proof knives. It's not often I post a non-Salt knife in the carry thread, anymore. We're lucky to have a knife company like Spyderco making corrosion proof (or nearly so) production knives. Maybe it's just a phase, but I have had a difficult time seriously considering buying a non-Salt model this year, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. For someone who likes to carry a knife while kayaking and swimming and can rust even VG10 from being in a sweaty pocket for a couple hours, LC200N and H1 (and maybe Magnacut?) are fantastic options. Though, the colder months may cause me to give my 1095 ESEE more carry time...

Anyway, I'm interested to hear how all of y'all's preferences have changed or stayed the same this year. Please share!
Toucan

Re: Have Your Knife Preferences Changed This Year?

Post by Toucan »

I went the opposite direction and went from a Chaparral, Dragonfly, or Ladybug being my daily to an Endura, Cara Cara, or Caly 3.5. Now I'm really thinking about going all out and getting a K390 Police.

I also got my first high end carbon steel this this year (K390 Dragonfly), and it's given me no problem with rust, so I'm definitely looking to explore non-stainless steels now.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I moved a bit from 3,5" blades towards the two extremes in size.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't think so but I've been on a weird transitional phase for a few years now where I've been a lot more picky about what I buy and I've passed on so many knives that I would have been happy with 5 years ago. I'm looking a lot more at avoiding redundant purchases unless it's a different steel or something I want to try out.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

For me it was moving to the lightweight models. The Endela was really eye opening for me. How well it contoured to my hands and how great it felt in the pocket. Also, felt better carrying longer blades.

I for the most part stopped buying knives that would not be users. Even the 2 exclusives I bought this year (DLT Endela and Delica) are heavily used and worn. I can't think of buying a knife right now that would not be used and in my pocket a lot. Which is why I focus more on the lightweights now. Just fits my preferences better since they changed.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I can hardly remember what I did last week, so I'm not going to pretend I have a clear recollection of what my knife preferences were at the start of this year.

Here's what I believe to be the general trends this year, to the best of my recollection.

EDC/work(office):
I liked the aggressive bite I got from the forward scallop on the Manbug Salt (which I think I got in early 2020), but for many tasks the serrations got in the way. Moved to Dfly for a similarly light carry and PE. The leaf shaped PE is a somewhat better compromise, but throughout this year I've come to believe that a PE wharncliffe might be the optimal halfway point, where I get kind of an aggressive tip and a straight PE edge for precise cutting tasks.
Being the knife snob that I am (and curious about new steels) I wanted the K390 wharncliffe Dfly. I wish I could tell you that my 2021 EDC-knife hypothesis was verified, but as it stands we'll have to wait until 2022 to get the results.

Home renovation/hobby projects/construction work:
Added the Rex45 Manix2 and while I really like the ergo's and the blade's cutting performance, I still default to my lighter weight Maxamet P3 for most tasks. I want to like the M2 more, but weight tends to be important to me.

Outdoor/Sports/SAR:
This is kind of a big bucket, but I can go on forever if I don't limit myself in some way.
I wouldn't say it's a change in preference, exactly. Maybe more a change in options. The Salt 2 FFG has more or less been able to fill the shoes of both the H-1 Salt 2 and the Native 5 salt for my use. The N5 is different enough to keep around, but I might replace it with a fluted CF/S90V if I ever get dibs at one.
I've opened up even more to the idea of carrying lager folders, in some situations. I got the Chief this year and brought it as my only knife for one week of hunting in the mountains this fall. It worked out very well.
The Waterway has been my default fixed blade for outdoor use since sometime last year, but through the winter months this year I learned that it doesn't (always) work very well in snow. Snow tend to get caught up in the coarse G10 pattern and it's hard to clean it out once it has clogged up. Maybe the (hopefully) soon to arrive Magnacut Mule, with some slightly less coarse scales, will become that go-to winter fixed blade? Didn't really think of that when I ordered it, but that sounds like a perfectly reasonable post acquisition justification.
Last edited by aicolainen on Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I definitely took a liking to the Wharnie blade design, as well as more micarta and titanium scales over G10 (though I still love G10 as well)

My Spyderco knife preferences pretty much stayed the same as the Manix and Shaman are still my favorite models...but an unexpected new model (for me) climbed into the top 3...the Native Chief. A folding sword now has a permanent place in my heart, and pocket!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Shifted from a mostly carrying the H1 SE Salty 2 to a PE H1 Dragonfly.
I'm enjoying the coarse edge on PE, might grab a H1 PE Salt 2 to carry on some days.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I forgot to mention that I have really settled in on the middle of the road steels that do a lot well but are easier to sharpen to a very fine edge. I find touching them up and maintaining saves a lot of time. I could really get by with just VG-10 and be fine, but what fun would that be. Lately, I have been pocketing some SPY27 and like it a lot. I think that trend will stick around for me. I am excited to try some S45VN and MagnaCut.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

this past year specifically:

- I've come to appreciate heavier blades in folders. The H1 Pacific Salt feels more satisfying to open and close than the LC for this reason, same story with the Yojumbo VS Yojimbo.

- I actually prefer PE H1 to SE H1 now, coming back around full circle. In fact PE H1 is currently my favorite steel to use and sharpen.

- This one bleeds into the previous year, but I prefer sharpening most my PE knives in the 180-300 grit range now. I just touched up my green PE H1 Pacific Salt last might with a 260 grit diamond plate and managed hair popping sharpness.

- I'm slowly becoming open to carrying detent based locks again. This year I carried a Military liner lock, Resilience LW liner lock, and fell in love with a compression lock knife in the Yojumbo.

- This was the year I fell in love with the Chief. Might be Sal's best folder design. Haven't carried the Police much at all this year thanks to the Chief getting all sorts of interesting sprints.

PeaceInOurTime, you'd be interested in this thread too - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=75333&p=1165792&hil ... s#p1165792
:unicorn
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Yes, been exploring more fixed blades in RGEI configuration. I can't stand folders with thumbstuds and i have most Spyderco folding models and i'm not a metalhead so i normally don't buy the same models in a different steel. So options where limited the last year. I'm also not big into CQI.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:49 am
2021 is almost over and I'm curious how our knife preferences have changed over the course of the year.

Interesting topic! Yes, changes. For me:

* Moving to lightweight versions because they're more comfortable to carry. I've gotten over what a knife looks like (FRN, FRCP aren't exactly pretty) and I'm more interested in how it carries.

* More interest in fixed blade knives.

* Getting pickier about the steel. As senseless as it is, I'm starting to avoid perfectly good ingot steels and even some early powdered steels. Snobbery, and it's indefensible, but I do it anyway.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
FK

Post by FK »

This was the year I completely stopped carrying the compression lock PM2 and Para 3 knives.
I am seriously considering selling off the entire collecton.
Focused on EDC of Delica and Endura, both at the same time.
Thin blade for small slicing and longer heavier blade for rougher work.
Slim and comfortable for pocket carry, just do not need the bulky G-10 with compression lock design.

Regards,
FK
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I've noticed that my carry has trended towards larger knives this year. I've always been more of a mid-size knife guy.. Native, Para 3, Brouwer, Delica.. this year, a Military, PM2, or Large Sebenza 21/Lg Inkosi have spent more time in my pocket than any of those smaller knives. I still rotate my carry A LOT, but I've definitely noticed myself reaching for larger knives more frequently than ever before..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Made a career change so my whole carry lineup has changed. I have found the little native in my pocket when restrictions apply and never lacking. On the flip side I have bought mostly larger knives this year.

I have also started modifying knives, thing the edge out, changing blade shapes and re-contouring handles.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I decided that I will buy no more of the M390/20cv/204P family of steels. They sharpen easily, but seem to be chippy. I had noticed it on my first 204P PM2 and thought it was just factory edge grind related, so I sharpened it out. But now that I've seen more info, I feel like I'm not willing to give up toughness for stain resistance and long wear.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

soulspy wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:13 am
I decided that I will buy no more of the M390/20cv/204P family of steels. They sharpen easily, but seem to be chippy. I had noticed it on my first 204P PM2 and thought it was just factory edge grind related, so I sharpened it out. But now that I've seen more info, I feel like I'm not willing to give up toughness for stain resistance and long wear.
Great part of the hobby in my eyes, finding what actually REALLY works for you or doesn't...based on actual use, experiences and results from sharpening. That's a good feeling to be able to ween certain things out when making a decision whether to purchase a knife or not.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

- Always really liked a (good) linerlock, and always considered it to be the best when wearing gloves or having numb, cold fingers.
But this year - with my Tenacious LW S35VN - it finally became generally my most favorite lock type when it comes down to pure no-nonsense convenience and overall safety in use.
Considering all aspects I can think of though, I still prefer the backlock (safety in pocket, "fun" and various ways to operate, handle construction that normally comes with a locktype (closed back with a backlock, and so on).
And: This makes me want to have another Millie again even more...

- I came to live better with (for me) shorter cutting edges this year.
Best example: My Manix 2 LW in REX 45. A small knife for me concerning the cutting edge, but I just accept it being just that (a small knife) but with great ergos and grip options.

- That I almost always prefer SE over PE probably started 2020 already (so not this year)?

- I followed what Vivi is doing and sharpen most of my PE knives most of the time in a low grit range nowadays (so with my not too sophisticated sharpening gear for example I stop after the CBN rods on the Sharpmaker already). Works very well for me!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

This year the focus of my Spydie acquisition has changed, but not my preferences.

This year has seen me go old-school (even back to the ‘90s) in the after-market (the recent mind-numbing spate of exclusives having pushed me there). I’ve even found the grail I didn’t know I wanted, namely, the Bob Lum. I now have three (but NOT the exclusive).

I still love large knives AND small, but my preferences for them turn on their designs and materials.

The Bob Lum is just a quarter-inch shy in blade-length of the large Millie (which I favor), and the Jess Horn2 is as gentlemanly as the small Chaparral (which I favor).
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
z1r

Post by z1r »

I started the year lookin to replace my former EDC, an assisted opener. It had a blade length of just under 3" and I was searching for a similar replacement. I ended up with a flipper. Nice knife and I still like it but I saw a Byrd CE Harrier online and ordered it. When it arrived, I felt it was too big. Through my web searching I stumbled upon the SFO after practically living next to it for more than ten years. So, I went there and fell in love with the N5, an S35VN version and took it home. You'd have thought I'd have liked the Delica, but nope, just ain't for me. Subsequent trips saw me bringing home an M2, then more N5's, etc., until one day they had a K390 Endela. I liked it so much on my next trip I bought another.

Today, I carry the following three knives daily during the week: Either a Hawkbill Salt LB or a Sal MB depending on which car I drive, a ZDP DF2 and the K390 Endela. I like to switch it up a little on weekends depending on what I'm doing or wearing.

All that to say that I started out preferring a smaller assisted opening liner lock, and ended up preferring Back Locks and longer blades. The one liner lock I still carry, especially on weekends is my Clipitool Standard!