Seconds sale

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ramonade

Re: Seconds sale

Post by Ramonade »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:47 am
When it was all said and done, i figured out that half of what I spent was proxy for other people. That's what I get for fronting the money, I could have had a bunch more knives that I don't need. Instead, I'm stuck with getting half my money back. Ain't that terrible?

No, I'm not complaining at all, I was and am happy to be able to help others share in the bounty, and I did volunteer. But I think I need to scale it back in the future, I about fried my alleged brain trying to keep seven lists straight.
Sounds like you need to delegate some of the proxy purchases to other attendees from the forum!
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Not everyone is willing and able to do that. I had several people comment that I knew a lot about Spyderco knives as I was casually tossing out I.D.s on models as I went around.

But yeah, I do need to share the load. And probably to get money up front, but that's tough to do when you don't know for certain what prices will be.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Anybody that did some proxy shopping for others, that don't end up coming through with a payment...shoot me a PM!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

they had some nice knives up for grabs this year. Saw a DLC CQI Military. I've been really enjoying the regular DLC Military I got last year for around the same price. Mine seems flawless.

surprised to hear there were m4 manix xl's! lots of chiefs too it looks like.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:27 pm
Not everyone is willing and able to do that. I had several people comment that I knew a lot about Spyderco knives as I was casually tossing out I.D.s on models as I went around.

But yeah, I do need to share the load. And probably to get money up front, but that's tough to do when you don't know for certain what prices will be.
I was concerned about you fronting the money on my proxy buy. I thought about giving you my phone number so you could text me the amount owed from the sales floor.

Again, I’m very appreciative of your efforts on my behalf. :bug-white-red
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

There was no way that would work. Even with my phone turned all the way up and vibrating as well I missed a text from Chris. I didn't break all those orders out, I just threw everything together and checked out in one whack. Breaking them down would slow down the checkout for everyone else.
Alexander135

Post by Alexander135 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:39 pm
There was no way that would work. Even with my phone turned all the way up and vibrating as well I missed a text from Chris. I didn't break all those orders out, I just threw everything together and checked out in one whack. Breaking them down would slow down the checkout for everyone else.
I too, really appreciate you proxy buying for me.
Next year, assuming I can't make it, I'll try to start a thread just for finding proxy buyers. That way the load can be spread out better, assuming people are willing to proxy buy.
Maybe something like requiring 25% MSRP per standard model and 35% MSRP per exclusive/limited/upgraded steel, up front, would approximate the costs pretty well.
7 orders is a lot for one person, I think my memory limit would be about 3, even with notes.
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Sounds like a great idea about proxy buying. Wish I added my name to someone list and would have tried my best to compensate the proxy buyer. Nothing is free in life and it's good to pay it forward.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I would pay the approximate full amount up front and make adjustments after the sale if necessary.
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

Did anyone get a seconds sale sticker this year or were they not made this time around?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

zemogKA wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:45 pm
Did anyone get a seconds sale sticker this year or were they not made this time around?
I was told they didn't have any stickers this year.
- Nick :bug-red
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My Brouwer that Yablanowitz graciously picked up and shipped for me arrived today. I can find no flaw with it, so I have to wonder if it was a second because of damaged packaging and not due to a flaw.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:47 pm
zemogKA wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:45 pm

I was told they didn't have any stickers this year.
I stopped by the SFO on the Monday following the sale and talked to one of the peeps. He said they don’t have any kind of stickers. :frowning-open-mouth They’re out of everything.
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:00 pm
My Brouwer that Yablanowitz graciously picked up and shipped for me arrived today. I can find no flaw with it, so I have to wonder if it was a second because of damaged packaging and not due to a flaw.
Often times there is a flaw that only the QC folks can find or perceive. I’ve heard it’s how a lock fits, the action of the knife, the liners, grind symmetry, etc. I’m just happy Spyderco is this picky and doesn’t make their inspectors turn a blind eye at certain flaws that the EOL would see.

Congrats on the new knife!
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I talked to one of the crew from production a couple of years back and he told me the QC was insane. If a blade tip got hot enough to change color at the very tip during sharpening, the knife was a second, even if it cleaned up during final polish. Sometimes the flaw isn't visible. A lot of mine I never have found anything wrong with them.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I have lots of seconds that I have no clue why they were marked as such. Some, I know, were "used" returns (they were marked with a different color price tag and had a much greater discount) even though many showed no signs of use. I don't know if Spyderco still marks those differently or with bigger discounts, as I haven't been in four years.

On a slightly different topic, did Spyderco have any in-box, factory first, discontinued knives on sale this year? This was another cool thing in the past, getting recently discontinued knives, still new in box, at closeout prices.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

jabba359 wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:29 am
I have lots of seconds that I have no clue why they were marked as such. Some, I know, were "used" returns (they were marked with a different color price tag and had a much greater discount) even though many showed no signs of use. I don't know if Spyderco still marks those differently or with bigger discounts, as I haven't been in four years.

On a slightly different topic, did Spyderco have any in-box, factory first, discontinued knives on sale this year? This was another cool thing in the past, getting recently discontinued knives, still new in box, at closeout prices.

I picked up this “used,” (yellow price tag,) Native at the sale. It hadn’t been oiled or sharpened and it hasn’t been carried; it’s only missing the clip. It was $7 less than a comparable Native 5 second that I got.

It’s odd that they would have a used knife that was last sold several years ago and in pristine condition.

I didn’t see any in-box firsts at the sale.
Attachments
D3AB658C-7645-4B89-85AE-4194CA138360.jpeg
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

When we asked about the returns, they told us that Eric goes over those himself to clear them for sale and he hadn't had time to do them this year. I'm guessing that means any returns at this Sale were holdovers from 2019 or before. I've seen and bought some long gone models among the returns.

No, there weren't any overstock firsts being clearanced this year, probably due to Covid induced supply chain and production delays. Hard to have overstock when you can't keep up with demand.
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

The Brouwer and Chap Sun and Moon that Yablanowitz proxied for me are, to my untrained eye, perfect. Dunno why they were seconded, but I’m grateful that they were. Absolutely great little knives, and the Chap is a freaking laser cutter. Thank you again Yablanowitz!
KnifeWife

Post by KnifeWife »

I picked up a little Meerkat at the sale this year. You should have seen me trying to operate the phantom lock the first time!
Meerkat
Meerkat