D'Allara 3 help

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
shb64

D'Allara 3 help

Post by shb64 »

So, to quote You Tube reviewer Nick Shabazz, I'm not a brilliant man. I recently acquired a D'Allara 3 on the secondary market, my first Spyderco with the ball-bearing lock. It was very stiff when I got it, and I decided to disassemble it for cleaning and lubrication to see if I could loosen it up. I got it back together, and as the photo shows, I had a washer left over. Any ideas on where it belongs?
Attachments
60132DB3-3586-4BE6-B713-2B0DE0750374.JPG
PStone

Re: D'Allara 3 help

Post by PStone »

shb64 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:27 am
So, to quote You Tube reviewer Nick Shabazz, I'm not a brilliant man. I recently acquired a D'Allara 3 on the secondary market, my first Spyderco with the ball-bearing lock. It was very stiff when I got it, and I decided to disassemble it for cleaning and lubrication to see if I could loosen it up. I got it back together, and as the photo shows, I had a washer left over. Any ideas on where it belongs?
It goes behind the spring. I had the same issue with my Q-Ball. The plunger’s post should go in the hole and it keeps everything centered so the spring doesn’t slip and bind up.

Picture credit: MyLegsareOK on Blabeforums
It’s a Dodo, but can still help.
shb64

Post by shb64 »

Thank you! Greatly appreciated.
shb64

Post by shb64 »

PStone wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:52 am
shb64 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:27 am
It goes behind the spring. I had the same issue with my Q-Ball. The plunger’s post should go in the hole and it keeps everything centered so the spring doesn’t slip and bind up.

Picture credit: MyLegsareOK on Blabeforums
It’s a Dodo, but can still help.
Got it back together properly, thank you 👍.
The lock's still stiff as ****, but I'll live with it I guess.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear shb64:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I'm glad you were able to get your knife back together... with Pstone's kind assistance.

Stay safe,

Mike
shb64

Post by shb64 »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:53 am
Dear shb64:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I'm glad you were able to get your knife back together... with Pstone's kind assistance.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you Mike. I knew somebody here would be able to help, I just didn't expect it to be so fast! This place is great.
PStone

Post by PStone »

shb64 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Glad I could help! And congrats on completing a "not for the faint of heart" dis- and re-assembly. :bug-red-white

I will say that I own 2 BBL's (Phoenix and Q-Ball) and both springs have softened considerably with time and use.
shb64

Post by shb64 »

PStone wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:18 am
shb64 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:14 pm

Glad I could help! And congrats on completing a "not for the faint of heart" dis- and re-assembly. :bug-red-white

I will say that I own 2 BBL's (Phoenix and Q-Ball) and both springs have softened considerably with time and use.
You're not kidding.....the first reassembly where I left out the washer went ok, but last night I shot the ceramic ball across the room. Fortunately it landed on a rug!
PStone

Post by PStone »

shb64 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:36 am

You're not kidding.....the first reassembly where I left out the washer went ok, but last night I shot the ceramic ball across the room. Fortunately it landed on a rug!
I’ve used big Ziploc freezer bags before to disassemble cbbl and bbl. Big enough I can get my hands in, but also still catches anything that may literally fly away.
shb64

Post by shb64 »

PStone wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:33 am
shb64 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:36 am

I’ve used big Ziploc freezer bags before to disassemble cbbl and bbl. Big enough I can get my hands in, but also still catches anything that may literally fly away.
I will keep that in mind, thank you.