G10 Urban

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gull wing

G10 Urban

Post by gull wing »

I see now the Urban is FRN and blade steel is N690, made in Italy.
I discovered a old foliage green G10 Native I've had for a while.....I guess ;)
Hurricane Laura destroyed my shop and the Urban was one of the few of my knives I saved. Since I've cleaned it up, I thought it would be nice to use it a while.
Really never used it much past just casual carry. Conclusion.......This is a solid knife. I'm sorry I've not used it much. Oh, VG10 is a slicer.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
SpyderNut

Re: G10 Urban

Post by SpyderNut »

gull wing wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:12 am
Hurricane Laura destroyed my shop and the Urban was one of the few of my knives I saved. Since I've cleaned it up, I thought it would be nice to use it a while.
Really never used it much past just casual carry. Conclusion.......This is a solid knife. I'm sorry I've not used it much. Oh, VG10 is a slicer.
I’ve had my eye on one of those in FRN for a while now. Been thinking about buying it and making G-10 scales for it…
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:12 pm
I’ve had my eye on one of those in FRN for a while now. Been thinking about buying it and making G-10 scales for it…
I know that some versions (like the AEB-L sprint that I own) have a spinning pivot (not by design) but is only tooled on one side. I'd verify that before making a purchase. To be clear, the pivot does not affect my use or opinion (it's great!) of the knife. But I'm not looking for new scales.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

SpyderNut wrote:
gull wing wrote:
You could buy one of the HH exclusive Urban G10 models? That way you have an exact copy of what you need to do your measurements for your own scales
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:25 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
I know that some versions (like the AEB-L sprint that I own) have a spinning pivot (not by design) but is only tooled on one side. I'd verify that before making a purchase. To be clear, the pivot does not affect my use or opinion (it's great!) of the knife. But I'm not looking for new scales.
That is good to know, Patrick. Thanks for the heads up. Is it the pivot the "D" profile, similar to the one used on the Chap? I've run into those before when making scales on certain Spydercos. I can usually get around that by using the liner side that has round holes vs. the liner side with the "D" profile. I've also used the OEM scale itself as a template, especially if the liner is not an option. Both options will work, but the liner tends to provide closer tolerances and is a bit easier to work with.

SG89 wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:07 pm
SpyderNut wrote:
gull wing wrote:
You could buy one of the HH exclusive Urban G10 models? That way you have an exact copy of what you need to do your measurements for your own scales
Ohh, I had forgotten about about the HH exclusive, lol. Yes, that's pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Thanks for the heads up! :smlling-eyes
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have almost all the ones made in Italy & both the ones made in Japan (the Foliage Green & the Orange Wharnie) -- I prefer the G10 ones made in Japan by far.... I think most folks don't agree with me on that though.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I would only say - I have the standard black FRN N690co Urban and the FRN is LOVELY. Very pleasant to touch, with the right balance of grip and smoothness. For the me the nicest feeling Spyderco FRN I have handled so far. I would have not desire to 'upgrade' it to G10. I hope to manage to snach the k390 one day ...
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

SpyderNut wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 pm
That is good to know, Patrick. Thanks for the heads up. Is it the pivot the "D" profile, similar to the one used on the Chap? I've run into those before when making scales on certain Spydercos. I can usually get around that by using the liner side that has round holes vs. the liner side with the "D" profile. I've also used the OEM scale itself as a template, especially if the liner is not an option. Both options will work, but the liner tends to provide closer tolerances and is a bit easier to work with.

I've never handled a Chap, so I can't say. I assume it is a D-shaped pivot, but with no liner it's not working as intended. Maybe heating up the pivot with a soldering iron will help loosen any resistance. I'm interested to see what you create.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

An orange Urban in G10 was my first Spydie, and I gave it to my brother in London, because he can carry it there. I guess I'm glad he has the knife, but man do I wish I still had another just like it.
benben

Post by benben »

I have the orange G-10 wharncliffe Urban, very solid little knife!