On which knife did you learn how to sharpen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Oloung1

Re: On which knife did you learn how to sharpen?

Post by Oloung1 »

RustyIron wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:43 pm

All of them.

I'm still learning.
This is me too :thinking
On my Delica sabre CE vg10, I learned that I didn't know the amount of patience to re-bevel from factory to 15 dps.
On my Cara Cara 2 8cr, I learned the beauty of a micro-bevel for touch ups.
And as BBB mentioned in another thread, I'm still working on clearing off all of the burr, all of the time. Problem areas are close to ricasso/heel.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Cheap, but decent kitchen knives (victorinox, etc.)

I have a **** time sharpening smaller blades, though. What feels the same is actually many degrees difference.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 am
dsvirsky wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:51 pm
A generic "boy scout knife" in 1095 using a dished out carborundum stone, in the early '60s.
That sounds like my first attempts, but my first success didn't happen for another decade.
My dad taught me a simple method using a circular motion that kept the blade in contact with the stone, produced an asymmetrical edge, and was reasonably effective.
My dad did the same, but my young hands never got very consistant results. I could get my scout knife sharp enough to hurt myself, but that's about all. A decade later I learned again with flat stones and hard steel and achieved minimally acceptable edges.
kobold

Post by kobold »

Knives are only half of the story, the other half are the abrasives. I cut my teeth on Naniwa Choseras and knives like the Mora Bushcraft Triflex, a D2 Bravo 1 (a big chip in a bad spot), a Marttiini puukko, kitchen knives and SAKs.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I am still learning, as well. Probably a schrade, old timer, case, or some sort of knock off was my first blade. It was given to me very dull, probably due to my age at the time. I remember trying to sharpen that knife on rocks, bricks, concrete, whatever I could find - probably dulled the knife even more. Later I was given a two sided whetstone. I eventually was able to use that whetstone and a old razor leather strop well enough to achieve hair shaving sharpness. Sadly both disappeared 20-25 years ago off my front porch. Through it all, I have used all kinds of inexpensive sharpeners, and butchered quite a few knives. I once tried a bench grinder I used for lawn mower blades on two knives - I figured it worked on mower blades so why not knives….

Anyhow, I still am not that good at sharpening, and I do not know as much as I should. Only in the last 5–10 years did I realize I had no idea how to truly sharpen a knife. I had a very limited knowledge of bevels/grinds, etc. I just knew if it was dull, grind/sharpen on it some until it would cut again and use a strop of some sort if you wanted to really make it razor sharp. I had no clue what was really happening or why. Still trying to figure it all out…
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:45 pm
dsvirsky wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:30 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:10 am
dsvirsky wrote:
A generic "boy scout knife" in 1095 using a dished out carborundum stone, in the early '60s.
That sounds like my first attempts, but my first success didn't happen for another decade.
My dad taught me a simple method using a circular motion that kept the blade in contact with the stone, produced an asymmetrical edge, and was reasonably effective.
My dad did the same, but my young hands never got very consistant results. I could get my scout knife sharp enough to hurt myself, but that's about all. A decade later I learned again with flat stones and hard steel and achieved minimally acceptable edges.
That was one advantage of the mid-50s Rc 1095 we both learned on. Edge holding was so poor that you had lots of opportunity to practice.
FK

Post by FK »

In my days in the Navy (1966-1970), always shore stationed and had lots of free time when not on duty. Purchased a small Buck Arkansas oil stone,, the early Buck folders were 400 series stainless and a pain to sharpen.
Really progressed when I met Sal at a wood working show in the early 1990's and purchased his new Sharpmaker idea. He sharpened my Buck 501 and convinced me easily.
Later a Delica and Endura with much better steel for edge performance.

Regards,
FK
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Back in my day, in the '50s, most boys carried a small wet(spit) stone and a pocket knife. You kept the knife razor-sharp for many reasons. We lived in farm country and had to use them for a zillion different uses. We all had the ability to shave with our knives, but we still didn't have anything to shave.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

dsvirsky wrote:
Sounds about right for me, too, but I would have been oblivious to the steel I was sharpening.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:39 am
dsvirsky wrote:
Sounds about right for me, too, but I would have been oblivious to the steel I was sharpening.
Trust me, I was too. It's only in retrospect that I can say it was 1095, because that was what was used at the time.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

None, I still have no clue. It is on my to-do list for retirement to become an expert sharpener. Until then I have enough Spydies than I can just throw a dull one into a "To Sharpen Upon Retirement" box and grab another one. :winking-tongue

Is sharpening free at the factory? Maybe I'll just send in 20 at a time to "refresh". :zany

P.S. I can't stand these new emojis. Anyone else? I feel like they are TOO emotional... :rofl
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:27 pm
None, I still have no clue. It is on my to-do list for retirement to become an expert sharpener. Until then I have enough Spydies than I can just throw a dull one into a "To Sharpen Upon Retirement" box and grab another one. :winking-tongue

Is sharpening free at the factory? Maybe I'll just send in 20 at a time to "refresh". :zany

P.S. I can't stand these new emojis. Anyone else? I feel like they are TOO emotional... :rofl
That's funny, I really feel into knives by my love for sharpening. I was introduced to japanese whetstones by an artisan leaving in my village. Right after that, I started sharpening the dulled and damaged knives of my family, then friends of the family, etc. :squinting-tongue

PS-answer : THANKS, i feel like i'm a gen-Z on my latest smartphone ! It's too much emotions, can't compute :woozy :rofl :spiral-eyes
Last edited by Ramonade on Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

steelcity16 wrote:

This is very surprising to read! It's become my favorite part of the hobby!! It's a whole different animal than just collecting.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

dsvirsky wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:21 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:39 am
dsvirsky wrote:
Trust me, I was too. It's only in retrospect that I can say it was 1095, because that was what was used at the time.
Aha! So that’s where my liking of 1095 began.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:35 pm
steelcity16 wrote:

This is very surprising to read! It's become my favorite part of the hobby!! It's a whole different animal than just collecting.

Trust me, I really want to get into it. I have some gear. Time is just not on my side at the moment. Job, 3 young kids, projects, honey do lists, etc. Someday...
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Kershaw Chill, 8Cr13MoV steel. That was the first knife I learned how to get shaving sharp, freehand.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Two knives: an Opinel (what is their carbon steel anyway, 1095?) and a Delica 2 AUS-6.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I learned how to free-hand sharpen on an inexpensive lock-back made by Colonial when I was about 12-13 years old. For some reason, I used to sharpen it every week right before we went to church. I distinctly remember one time I was sharpening it in a hurry and I accidently drew the tip of the blade right through my left index finger. I tried to hide it, but there was blood gushing and my dad saw it. After a quick trip to the ER for stitches, we still made it to church on time. (My dad was none too pleased with me, though, lol).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I guess I better learn how to sharpen/reprofile because the grind on my new 20CV Endura is atrocious and among the worst I have ever received in the 100+ Spydies I have owned. I thought robots do the sharpening now? Should be pretty foolproof, no?