Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy one?

Yes
50%
No
43%
Maybe: Please Explain
7%

Total votes: 136

yablanowitz

Re: Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Post by yablanowitz »

Matus wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:52 pm
What is it about frame lock vs liner lock that makes people feel so strongly of one over the other? It is the same **** thing, just liner locks tend to be a little thinner.
1) I think the "frame lock" looks like an unfinished/damaged liner lock.
2) I dislike the feel of moving parts under my fingers.
3) Titanium doesn't turn me on like it seems to turn on many around here.
4) I already have a bucket of cement I can use for a boat anchor, I don't need to carry one in my pocket.
Rinzler

Re: Poll: Would You Buy a K390 Military, Featuring Green Canvas Micarta and a Titanium Reeve Integral Lock?

Post by Rinzler »

RandomNick wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:56 am
No, I don't like framelocks. Make it a liner lock with micarta for both scales and I'd be on that like a fat kid on a cupcake.
This. Generally I stay away from most all frame locks (with exceptions).
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

blueblur wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:37 am
I would be down with everything you mentioned except the RIL. Please keep it a liner lock for me.
And also this.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

RandomNick wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:22 pm
From a functional standpoint you have a knife with one scale that gives decent traction when you grip it, and on the other side you have a big slab of smooth, slippery metal.
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:40 pm
^^and you pay for that slippery slab of metal too, perhaps a royalty also for the frame lock?
The nice thing about Titanium is that it takes to a nice bead blasting very well. I don't find Sebenzas slippery, for example. ;-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like titanium frame locks, but that's when both scales are made from an equally thick piece of Titanium. Thinking about it, I don't have any folders of any kind with mismatched scales.

I don't agree that Titanium folders are heavy though. Steel, copper, bronze are, but Titanium can be milled and punched until it is plenty light, yet stays strong. Eg, the Böker Urban Trapper with a 3.43" blade, weighs only 1.69 oz. In comparison, an FRN Dragonly with a 2.25" blade is 1.2 oz (both blades are 2.5 mm thick).
I think it is more of a design and economic decision to make titanium folders on the heavier side, because machining is expensive.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Probably. Since my two favorite knives are the Mantra 2 and the SpydieChef, one might conclude that titanium is my favorite handle material and the RIL my favorite lock. Some say titanium is slippery when wet, but I haven't found that to be much of an issue since the ergos fit my hand very nicely.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bts327

Post by bts327 »

No to the titanium integral lock.

Would immediately buy a K390 Millie with green canvas micarta scales.
brj

Post by brj »

No. I very much prefer the liner lock on the Military instead of integral/frame lock. Would love K390 and micarta though
anycal

Post by anycal »

Interesting poll results so far (54 yes, 49 no). RIL seems to be pretty polarizing, I guess? Didn't think that was the case based on the thirst for a new Military on this forum.

I wonder what the breakdown of the 'no' is. There are 112 total votes. There are about 16 definite 'no' noted in the posts. My question is, and perhaps the poll should have been phrased differently, how many would say 'no' simply because the Military is not for them. Versus 'no' because it is a RIL.

Oh well...
Peter
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I would buy it but I prefer a full titanium handle. K390 in a Military is a winner no matter what.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

anycal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:48 am
Interesting poll results so far (54 yes, 49 no). RIL seems to be pretty polarizing, I guess? Didn't think that was the case based on the thirst for a new Military on this forum.

I wonder what the breakdown of the 'no' is. There are 112 total votes. There are about 16 definite 'no' noted in the posts. My question is, and perhaps the poll should have been phrased differently, how many would say 'no' simply because the Military is not for them. Versus 'no' because it is a RIL.

Oh well...
Yea, I probably could have phrased better. Seems like Micarta is a win, and K390 is a win, but the RIL splits the vote.

Maybe a new poll is in order? Asking folks to vote liner lock vs RIL.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I thought this idea, even if it were just that...was a homerun! Very shocked to see the poll results.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

We always think that everyone else should like what we like. It just doesn't work out that way.
kobold

Post by kobold »

anycal wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:48 am

Oh well...

I think the thirst for the real Military, the one with a liner lock is the takeaway here. Relatively to the OG Millie, the RIL model is seen as heavy and expensive.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I would buy K390 or LC200N and no other changes but if other goodies like a salt version of the LC200N or frame lock, Micarta etcetera would be icing on the cake.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The RIL would add lots of weight and change the dynamic for a lot of people. For me, I would not be able to carry it in my cargo pocket anymore and be limited to my waistband carry due to front pocket carry is not an option with my job. Too much stuff in my front pockets limits movement and performance.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
phaust

Post by phaust »

I had the ti/g10 military. Just seemed heavier and more slick, no advantage for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:09 pm
I thought this idea, even if it were just that...was a homerun! Very shocked to see the poll results.
As others have mentioned: I am pretty sure it is not a homerun just because of the RIL, which seems to be polarizing (I personally would like the looks, but not the weight)

I guess a linerlock Micarta Millie in K390 would get a lot more support !

Though I am not sure if Spyderco even CAN do a Micarta Millie and still stick to their high production standards: They had to change the PM 2 from nested to full liners for the Micarta version in order to guarantee the structural integrity, so I guess they would not do a mostly linerLESS Millie in that material... :worried
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d be beyond happy with peel ply CF, liner lock, and K390. MagnaCut would be superb too.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:59 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:09 pm
As others have mentioned: I am pretty sure it is not a homerun just because of the RIL, which seems to be polarizing (I personally would like the looks, but not the weight)

I guess a linerlock Micarta Millie in K390 would get a lot more support !

Though I am not sure if Spyderco even CAN do a Micarta Millie and still stick to their high production standards: They had to change the PM 2 from nested to full liners for the Micarta version in order to guarantee the structural integrity, so I guess they would not do a mostly linerLESS Millie in that material... :worried
I would bet the same way. They'd change to full liners, which would add weight, and probably change to a standard clip and Swiss cheese the handle for 4 way clip positioning, which would thrill some and disappoint others. I'd be in the latter camp there as well.